The Student Room Group

Council Tax Exemption??

So I'm currently a student living in a flat and I got a letter, asking to pay council tax but they know I'm a student - like there's a student discount on the letter. Is that a thing? I do work and have just switched contracts to lower hours so would that be why they're asking me to pay council tax?
Reply 1
Original post by MusicPanda
So I'm currently a student living in a flat and I got a letter, asking to pay council tax but they know I'm a student - like there's a student discount on the letter. Is that a thing? I do work and have just switched contracts to lower hours so would that be why they're asking me to pay council tax?

If you count as a full-time student, then you don't pay council tax.

If you've only just become a student, it's possible that the discount is being applied only for the period that you're a student, and that there's a previous period when you weren't a student (and hence weren't exempt). As I understand it, you don't count as a student for the period between leaving school/college and starting at university.

If you post a copy of the council tax bill, with all identifying information blanked out, we might be able to interpret it.
Reply 2
Original post by martin7
If you count as a full-time student, then you don't pay council tax.

If you've only just become a student, it's possible that the discount is being applied only for the period that you're a student, and that there's a previous period when you weren't a student (and hence weren't exempt). As I understand it, you don't count as a student for the period between leaving school/college and starting at university.

If you post a copy of the council tax bill, with all identifying information blanked out, we might be able to interpret it.

Well I graduated from my undergrad 2 years ago but have been living with my parents so I personally haven't been paying council tax and now I've just moved out and started my masters. It wants me to pay around £15 for 6 months so it is a significant discount but idk why it's a discount and not an exemption. Would a part time job have anything to do with it?
Reply 3
Original post by MusicPanda
Well I graduated from my undergrad 2 years ago but have been living with my parents so I personally haven't been paying council tax and now I've just moved out and started my masters. It wants me to pay around £15 for 6 months so it is a significant discount but idk why it's a discount and not an exemption. Would a part time job have anything to do with it?

Your job isn't relevant -- from an exemption point of view, you're either a full-time student or you're not.

If it's asking for £15 for six months, it sounds like it's the council tax for a few days. Is this as simple as you having moved in a few days before your course begins, so for those few days you're not a student and are liable to pay the council tax?
Reply 4
Original post by martin7
Your job isn't relevant -- from an exemption point of view, you're either a full-time student or you're not.

If it's asking for £15 for six months, it sounds like it's the council tax for a few days. Is this as simple as you having moved in a few days before your course begins, so for those few days you're not a student and are liable to pay the council tax?

Ah okay that makes sense. Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending