The Student Room Group

One grade off Maths entry requirement?

I want to do BSc Maths at a few possible Unis, such a Edinburgh. They want A*AA-A*AB but you NEED an A* in A Level Maths. I AM predicted A*AA but my A* is not in Maths. Would I still get an offer if my predicted is only off by 1 grade? Does it HAVE to meet requirement to get offers?
(edited 2 years ago)
Its worth having one top choice like thsi - you may still get an offer if you are one grade below the requirements, but usually if the Uni is being that specific, its very risky. Email the Admissions office and ask the question.
Original post by santi04
I want to do BSc Maths at a few possible Unis, such a Edinburgh. They want A*AA-A*AB but you NEED an A* in A Level Maths. I AM predicted A*AA but my A* is not in Maths. Would I still get an offer if my predicted is only off by 1 grade? Does it HAVE to meet requirement to get offers?

It is a difficult one that only the university can answer. Usually if a university asks for an A* in a subject they expect it but only they can confirm that. There are very good Maths universities that will accept you though.
Original post by santi04

You may get an A*AA offer conditional upon you beating your prediction and getting an A* in Maths. Even if you are lucky with that, however, you will obviously still have to achieve that A* in the exams, when your teacher doesn't think you will.

So if you do appy to Edinburgh, at least make sure that most of your other choices only require an A in Maths.

Quick Reply