The Student Room Group

inverse functions

in the Dr F maths ppt it says that 'if the function is equal to its inverse, it must lie on the line y=x. f(x)=x. '

not tryna sound stupid but y=1/x is equal to its inverse but f(x) isn't equal to x?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Htx_x346
in the Dr F maths ppt it says that 'if the function is equal to its inverse, it must lie on the line y=x. f(x)=x. '

not tryna sound stupid but y=1/x is equal to its inverse but f(x) isn't equal to x?

Can you upload a pic of the slide?
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
Can you upload a pic of the slide?

er not really...i can put a link to the slides though and tell you the slide no.?
Reply 3
er not really...i can put a link to the slides though and tell you the slide no.?

sure
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
sure

k it's slide 25 I think? it's 'Further example'
https://www.drfrostmaths.com/resource.php?rid=303
Reply 5

I can't see the slides but this clearly isn't true as an identity. It needs to have reflective symmetry in the line y=x. For example f(x)=1-x is another such self-inverse function.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by mqb2766
sure

slide 28, part c of the question, sorry
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by RichE
I can't see the slides but this clearly isn't true. It needs to have reflective symmetry in the line y=x. For example f(x)=1-x is another such self-inverse function.

that's what i thought
Reply 8

From what I can see on the slide 26 (and the usual explanation) is f and f^(-1) are reflections in y-x line. The reciprocal you mention is a self inverse (involution) so its equal to its own reflection.

He says y-x is line of symmetry for f and its inverse.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by mqb2766
From what I can see on the slide 26 (and the usual explanation) is f and f^(-1) are reflections in y-x line. The reciprocal you mention is a self inverse (involution) so its equal to its own reflection.

He says y-x is line of symmetry for f and its inverse.

oh i'm just being stupid..it meant you can equate f(x)=x when you're trying to find the intersection of f(x)=f^-1(x).
thanks
oh i'm just being stupid..it meant you can equate f(x)=x when you're trying to find the intersection of f(x)=f^-1(x).
thanks

It just means f^(-1) s a reflection of f in the line y=x and vice versa.
The reflection of 1/x is 1/x hence the self inverse property or f(f(x)) = x
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by mqb2766
It just means f^(-1) s a reflection of f in the line y=x and vice versa.
The reflection of 1/x is 1/x hence the self inverse property or f(f(x)) = x

hmmm
hmmm

Think about the graphs of ln() and exp() or ... they're reflections in y=x.
Reply 13
thanks

I imagine this is what's meant here for this specific function (which isn't self-inverse).

And in this case f(x)=x is a lot easier to solve than f(x)=f^(-1)(x)
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by mqb2766
Think about the graphs of ln() and exp() or ... they're reflections in y=x.

wait so was he wrong? I think i just confused myself even more
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by RichE
I imagine this is what's meant here for this specific function (which isn't self-inverse).

wait wdum?
Reply 16
wait wdum?

Can you expand somewhat?
Reply 17
Original post by RichE
Can you expand somewhat?

it's fine, this bit helped. I got it now, thanks x

Original post by RichE

And in this case f(x)=x is a lot easier to solve than f(x)=f^(-1)(x)

Quick Reply

Latest