The Student Room Group

Will I miss out on not being in halls for my first year?

I got my accommodation sorted relatively late and as such I’m a house, and I’m getting fomo about not being in halls because everyone in all the group chats seem to be in halls and I don’t wanna miss out on parties etc. that go on.

The house I’m in is literally 5 (or less) minutes away from campus but the people in my house seem alright, but quite quiet...

I’m in a group chat for my area and they all seem really fun (also all in halls), is being in group chats the best way to keep in the loop?

I’m only anxious because from what I’ve read online it looks like the people in houses end up more isolated than those in halls.can people who have been in first year before confirm/deny?

Does anyone have any advice/experiences they’d be willing to share on how to stay in the loop and still get invited out?
I lived at home last year and because it was all online the people in accommodation literally only met their flat mates, so like three or four people. So we’re all in the same boat really and it made no difference. It might be different this year
Original post by Anonymous
I got my accommodation sorted relatively late and as such I’m a house, and I’m getting fomo about not being in halls because everyone in all the group chats seem to be in halls and I don’t wanna miss out on parties etc. that go on.

The house I’m in is literally 5 (or less) minutes away from campus but the people in my house seem alright, but quite quiet...

I’m in a group chat for my area and they all seem really fun (also all in halls), is being in group chats the best way to keep in the loop?

I’m only anxious because from what I’ve read online it looks like the people in houses end up more isolated than those in halls.can people who have been in first year before confirm/deny?

Does anyone have any advice/experiences they’d be willing to share on how to stay in the loop and still get invited out?

Hello,

You can definitely still have a great experience and get involved. Your flat mates might surprise you too, our group chat was quite quiet but we got on really well in person and would go out most nights.

Being close to campus and being in halls group chats will definitely get you involved. More often than not, a flat will post that they're holding pre drinks and then everyone walks to the club together. You may need someone to let you in as the gates and doors will all be locked. Though in some cases, you can ring up to the flat and they can unlock it.

A lot of course and society friends will be in halls too and by being close with them, you can visit and go to halls parties with them. When university gets started and you make some friends outside of your house, you will see this naturally happen.

To be honest, most halls parties happen in the earlier part of first term and as people establish friendships, parties get smaller and people tend to stick to their circles a little more. They do still happen but they stop being most nights!

I hope this reassures you,
Lydia :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending