The Student Room Group

Should I reduce my predicted grades?

I am Predicted A*A*A*A* in Maths,Physics,Chemistry and Further Maths.
and applying for Physics at ICL,Birmingham and Manchester and Physical natsci at Cambrige.
I am submitting my UCAS application in the next few days and there is not a chance in Hell I will get an A* in Further Maths in the real thing.
I am worried ( mainly in the case of Cambridge) that if I receive an offer it will specify A* or A in Further Maths and so I am contemplating getting my teacher to reduce my Further Maths predicted grade to an A, please help, what should I do?
Reply 1
There's no real reason to reduce your grade down to an A. Might as well take the bonus despite the fact that it may not represent your true theoretical grade you may achieve if you sat the exam. Who knows if you resat the exam you could've gotten lower than an A. Take the opportunity it wont hurt.
Original post by aaksa133
There's no real reason to reduce your grade down to an A. Might as well take the bonus despite the fact that it may not represent your true theoretical grade you may achieve if you sat the exam. Who knows if you resat the exam you could've gotten lower than an A. Take the opportunity it wont hurt.

but their point is if they get an offer that they dont believe they will be able to make (i.e A* in FM) then it will hurt
Reply 3
Original post by heccyeah
but their point is if they get an offer that they dont believe they will be able to make (i.e A* in FM) then it will hurt

Then it all comes down to the person. If you're not comfortable with the predicted grade a feel like you should be penalised, at the end of the day that's a personal choice. I understand your point and yeah it does make sense in the way that if they get an offer while being aware that they may not feel able to make it. Then yes it'll hurt. I would say have some trust in yourself because if you are predicted such high grades you are quite capable of making it. Physics, Maths at an A* already set your capabilities high. I understand that at the end of the day these are all predicted to which i understand how he feels.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by heccyeah

If Cambridge want the A* in FM they will ask for that regardless of whether the student is predicted an A or A*.
A lot of teachers claim that universities do things like this, but I've never really seen evidence that it happens. Cambridge will almost certainly give you an A* offer in FM whether you have it predicted or not, and not having it predicted will only reduce your chances of getting an offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending