The Student Room Group

Is this acceptable?

Last week I had and a graduate job video interview in the creative industry.

I felt really confident in answering the questions and I was really prepared. I was early to the interview and they were like 5 mins late.

However during the interview, the interviewers wasn't really listening to anything I said, they both never gave me any eye contact instead they were either looking up at the ceiling or look down on the floor.

There was no engagement, I don't understand what I did wrong?

I would talk and both of them were just looking around the room, moving and swivelling in their seats .

I knew by their persona I was wasting their time, I was the wrong candidate for them. I didn't look like them, I would say that my looks are average.

But the thing that really surprised me the most was that I was unsuccessful in the job. I didn't get the job.

Was this kind of behaviour acceptable? I never experienced this kind of behaviour ever, especially in a professional working environment.
Original post by DS76
Last week I had and a graduate job video interview in the creative industry.

I felt really confident in answering the questions and I was really prepared. I was early to the interview and they were like 5 mins late.

However during the interview, the interviewers wasn't really listening to anything I said, they both never gave me any eye contact instead they were either looking up at the ceiling or look down on the floor.

There was no engagement, I don't understand what I did wrong?

I would talk and both of them were just looking around the room, moving and swivelling in their seats .

I knew by their persona I was wasting their time, I was the wrong candidate for them. I didn't look like them, I would say that my looks are average.

But the thing that really surprised me the most was that I was unsuccessful in the job. I didn't get the job.

Was this kind of behaviour acceptable? I never experienced this kind of behaviour ever, especially in a professional working environment.

Hi there!

I think its great that you were prepared for the interview and came early! It shows good character on your side which is very important when making first impressions. I don't think you should only look at yourself as the problem, job interviews aren't just for the employer to meet you but also a chance for you to find out whether the company is a suitable fit for you - so maybe they weren't the right fit.

What i would say might help for next time is at the end when the interviewer asks if you have any questions you can ask 'if theres anything you could have answered better?' This way you know if theres something you can improve on. Also you can write a follow up email asking for feedback on how you did.

Best,
Peace (student ambassador at PCL)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending