The Student Room Group

Final round interview feedback

Hey guys - hoping someone can decipher what they make of this feedback post final stages.
Just for some context:

I passed a first stage interview with a VP of sales and this second round was with 2 members of the sales team. I had the interview on Tuesday and followed up today on email and this was one of the team members response after I messaged them with a thank you/ own feedback:

Hi …… Thanks for your message. I am doing well! Actually came into the office today, its quite empty but still a nice change of scenery. You are clearly very personable which is an essential trait of a sales person and I see a lot of passion for (insert industry) which I like as FX hedging is an important component of Treasury. Attention to detail and delivering a concise message is just as important in a strategic sales role like ours and something I feel yourself and many people even within (insert company) should look to continuously improve on. I really enjoyed our chat so thanks so much for taking the time to speak to us.

What are your takes on this specific feedback one of the members? Would you say this was on balance a positive or negative?

Just got context the first round was the VP of sales which really liked me and these next 2 people were part of the team.

Would appreciate some thoughts!

Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kkapo18
Hey guys - hoping someone can decipher what they make of this feedback post final stages.
Just for some context:

I passed a first stage interview with a VP of sales and this second round was with 2 members of the sales team. I had the interview on Tuesday and followed up today on email and this was one of the team members response after I messaged them with a thank you/ own feedback:

Hi …… Thanks for your message. I am doing well! Actually came into the office today, its quite empty but still a nice change of scenery. You are clearly very personable which is an essential trait of a sales person and I see a lot of passion for (insert industry) which I like as FX hedging is an important component of Treasury. Attention to detail and delivering a concise message is just as important in a strategic sales role like ours and something I feel yourself and many people even within (insert company) should look to continuously improve on. I really enjoyed our chat so thanks so much for taking the time to speak to us.

What are your takes on this specific feedback one of the members? Would you say this was on balance a positive or negative?

Just got context the first round was the VP of sales which really liked me and these next 2 people were part of the team.

Would appreciate some thoughts!

Thank you :smile:

It means nothing except a polite exchange. It is extremely unprofessional to 'leak' interview results and potentially dangerous until decisions have gone through the whole process, because no matter how good or bad candidates are, you may have to rethink your boundaries, standards, numbers etc.

You also shouldn't ask for feedback until you have the results, you put the interviewers in a very awkward position. Thanks aren't even necessary for a standard interview process, it's part of the job. You only thank if they've given you time outside a formal process, ie a careers discussion over coffee, an informal interview for something not advertised etc.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
It means nothing except a polite exchange. It is extremely unprofessional to 'leak' interview results and potentially dangerous until decisions have gone through the whole process, because no matter how good or bad candidates are, you may have to rethink your boundaries, standards, numbers etc.

You also shouldn't ask for feedback until you have the results, you put the interviewers in a very awkward position. Thanks aren't even necessary for a standard interview process, it's part of the job. You only thank if they've given you time outside a formal process, ie a careers discussion over coffee, an informal interview for something not advertised etc.

I appreciate this but is it not also just polite to say the obvious thing ?

Also if you were looking into the message what would you glean from it?

Thanks
Original post by kkapo18
I appreciate this but is it not also just polite to say the obvious thing ?

Also if you were looking into the message what would you glean from it?

Thanks

No, you give thanks as you leave the interview, but after that you stay out of all communications and allow them to make their decisions.

I don't glean anything from it. The writer would actively tried to not give evidence either way, it would be very unprofessional to give any hint of an outcome.
He said what he said lol. There's no hidden message here. There were good things and things to improve on. Just take it at face value and wait for the actual result.
Reply 5
Not heard back yet - would you say at this point it is unlikely I’ve been given an offer ?
Original post by kkapo18
Not heard back yet - would you say at this point it is unlikely I’ve been given an offer ?

Not necessarily, depends on the type of firm + your situation really hasn't changed from 4 days ago since 2 of those days were weekends.
Original post by kkapo18

Please, please leave them alone. Pestering them will not be a good look.

People are still reluctant to come back to the office. they may be delaying hiring until the government communicates the next step.

Only ask for feedback if they tell you you have not got the job. Then use that feedback to do better going forward.
Reply 8
Original post by Oxford Mum
Please, please leave them alone. Pestering them will not be a good look.

People are still reluctant to come back to the office. they may be delaying hiring until the government communicates the next step.

Only ask for feedback if they tell you you have not got the job. Then use that feedback to do better going forward.

I wasn’t planning on pestering them I was just asking at a guess what people would be thinking in my shoes!
Reply 9
Original post by anonuser99
Not necessarily, depends on the type of firm + your situation really hasn't changed from 4 days ago since 2 of those days were weekends.

Hmm yeh I mean I’m being impatient in my own mind as I literally have no clue how long they will take and like someone else said it could literally be anything that causes the delay.

I guess there probably is a timeframe where I’ll have to just in my own mind settle for the fact it may not happen but I do think if I don’t hear back by end of this week it probably is a no!
Original post by kkapo18
I wasn’t planning on pestering them I was just asking at a guess what people would be thinking in my shoes!

I know about this, because my son is also applying for jobs.
Original post by kkapo18
Hmm yeh I mean I’m being impatient in my own mind as I literally have no clue how long they will take and like someone else said it could literally be anything that causes the delay.

I guess there probably is a timeframe where I’ll have to just in my own mind settle for the fact it may not happen but I do think if I don’t hear back by end of this week it probably is a no!

Let it be a lesson to you to always ask when you can expect to hear back at the end of the interview. If I ask nothing else, I always ask that. In my experience, they'll usually tell you the latest you'll hear (i.e. when you'll hear if you've been rejected).
Reply 12
Original post by anonuser99
Let it be a lesson to you to always ask when you can expect to hear back at the end of the interview. If I ask nothing else, I always ask that. In my experience, they'll usually tell you the latest you'll hear (i.e. when you'll hear if you've been rejected).

That’s a good point - it’s strange because the first interview was with the actual hiring manager and then this final stage was with 2 members of his team so it did actually cross my mind but i did think it may not be wise to ask his team about when I’d hear back as they may not know?
Original post by kkapo18
That’s a good point - it’s strange because the first interview was with the actual hiring manager and then this final stage was with 2 members of his team so it did actually cross my mind but i did think it may not be wise to ask his team about when I’d hear back as they may not know?

If they don't know then they dont know. They're not gonna ding you for asking.
Original post by kkapo18

The companies my son has applied to keep delaying their deadlines anyway. Or, earlier in the pandemic, cancelling the jobs altogether. Frustrating, but a sign of the times.
Reply 15
They’ve said today they are in the process of finalising interviews and I should hear back by end of this week!
Original post by kkapo18
They’ve said today they are in the process of finalising interviews and I should hear back by end of this week!

Good, so not long to go. Now you know the deadline there is no need to get back to them
Reply 17
The hiring manager viewed my linked in profile yesterday hmmmm gosh the wait is killing me !
Reply 18
“Afraid I don’t have any further updates at the moment as interviews are still ongoing. I have reached out to (hiring managers name) and hope to have some news for you shortly”

I’m completely 50/50 on this …if they were going to reject me they would have by now? If they want to offer me they probably should have by now unless they feel like there could be a stronger candidate.
Reply 19
Original post by Oxford Mum
Good, so not long to go. Now you know the deadline there is no need to get back to them

Right so an update people:

Last Wednesday the hiring manager sent me an email saying it had taken a little longer to make decisions than he had planned and wanted to meet me up for lunch the next day (Thursday) he brought in a senior person with him on the lunch which all went well.

He left the lunch basically saying the “ball was in my court” to convince one other person I met with at second stage who mentioned some points that I needed to talk to.

I then literally the day after set up a call with him and he mentioned he actually didn’t have many reservations at all and that he was actually very impressed but we talked to some points around my cv which we thought could have been stronger displayed (visuals) he said on Friday morning he would report back to the hiring manager (told me and it all sounded like the final roadblock had been overcome)

This week I am yet to hear back anything. I’ve not been told no and I’ve not been told yes….the frustration is obviously they are interested but they also haven’t rejected me.

What are your thoughts everyone?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending