The Student Room Group

Will I be able to make it into college? If not, any advice for what I can do?

I couldn't copy and paste my GPA, but let it be noted that I am in middle school (8th year)

GPA: 5.0
GPA (4 point scale): 1.9967
Class Rank: Not ranked
Credit Earned: 1.50
I currently have an F in math, an A in language arts and a B in history and science.

So, with all of this combined, am I going to be able to get into college? If not, what can I do to change it? For reference, I want to be a vet.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I couldn't copy and paste my GPA, but let it be noted that I am in middle school (8th year)

I currently have an F in math, an A in language arts and a B in history and science.

So, with all of this combined, am I going to be able to get into college? If not, what can I do to change it? For reference, I want to be a vet.

For more context, this was all earned last year and won't be updated until the end of the quarter.

You're in middle school. You really shouldn't be worrying about this yet. Your high school grades and ECs are what will matter most. It's really not worth stressing about it this early.
Reply 3
Original post by ry7xsfa
You're in middle school. You really shouldn't be worrying about this yet. Your high school grades and ECs are what will matter most. It's really not worth stressing about it this early.

Fair point, but if I'm not doing well now, what if I never do? That's what's stressing me out so much. I want to be a good student early so I can be used to it when I'm an adult.
Reply 4
Fair point, but if I'm not doing well now, what if I never do? That's what's stressing me out so much. I want to be a good student early so I can be used to it when I'm an adult.

Not really - many kids blossom later in school and race up the ranks, while others that have sterling say SATs/CATs at aged 11 go in the opposite direction by the time they reach GCSE/A-levels. They might give you a rough early indication, but in the longer term, achievement tends to be more about motivation and attitude than any tests at a young age.

Work hard for the next test, which if you get an improved grade, will boost your confidence, and then you will build from them.
(edited 2 years ago)

As above. You have plenty of time.

The most important thing right now is that you keep your head up and work hard during high school. Form study groups, don't be afraid to ask for help. It will come. But don't forget to take time for yourself too. Your health (both physical and mental) is the most important thing and it's honestly not worth sacrificing just to get into college. Make sure to take time to relax - and also for ECs that you enjoy!
Reply 6
Original post by ry7xsfa
As above. You have plenty of time.

The most important thing right now is that you keep your head up and work hard during high school. Form study groups, don't be afraid to ask for help. It will come. But don't forget to take time for yourself too. Your health (both physical and mental) is the most important thing and it's honestly not worth sacrificing just to get into college. Make sure to take time to relax - and also for ECs that you enjoy!

I'd rep you again if I could. Thank you for the advice!
Reply 7
Original post by lalexm
Not really - many kids blossom later in school and race up the ranks, while others that have sterling say SATs/CATs at aged 11 go in the opposite direction by the time they reach GCSE/A-levels. They might give you a rough early indication, but in the longer term, achievement tends to be more about motivation and attitude than any tests at a young age.

Work hard for the next test, which if you get an improved grade, will boost your confidence, and then you will build from them.

Thank you for this!
I'd rep you again if I could. Thank you for the advice!

No problem.

I didn't come up through the US school system (I did my pre-college schooling at home in the UK), but I'm in the US for college so know about the system and know quite a decent amount about the US system because of that - and also now have a lot of connections to American students to know the system even better.
Reply 9
Original post by ry7xsfa
No problem.

I didn't come up through the US school system (I did my pre-college schooling at home in the UK), but I'm in the US for college so know about the system and know quite a decent amount about the US system because of that - and also now have a lot of connections to American students to know the system even better.

Here I was thinking you were actually FROM the U.S-

Quick Reply