The Student Room Group

Canada Election: Trudeau Wins Third Term

The Liberal Party of Canada has won the most amount of seats in the recent snap election. The current Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, is expected to lead Canada into a third term with a minority government.

The projected results are as follows:

Liberal: 158 - 32.2%
Conservative: 119 - 34.0%
Bloc Quebecois: 34 - 7.7%
New Democrat: 25 - 17.7%
Green: 2 - 2.3%
People's Party: 0 - 5.1%

Full results can be found here.

The results are almost identical to what was seen in the last general election. Critics will consider the election to be a waste of both money and time, and rightfully so. The election continues to highlight the need for electoral reform in Canada, with the Conservatives being 39 seats behind the Liberals despite having the largest share of the vote.

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Actual footage of Trudeau celebrating his electoral victory.

Original post by Chadmiral Nelson
Actual footage of Trudeau celebrating his electoral victory.

What makes it funnier is that the leader of s rival centre left part party is a brown skinned Hindu LMAO.

And of course the lesson idiot nerd conservatives take from the above Is "oh my god Imagine if one of our candidates did that?"

The implication being that actually they're better anti racists than the left.
Disappointing that the peoples party didn't win any seats although they did triple their vote according to their leader.

Oh well. King Trump can Annex Canada in 2024
@TCA2b

Honestly people like Trudeau and Newsom- despite their ideology- are just such chads and scumbags, I can't even hate them I just have to admire their grift. Same to a lesser extent with Biden.

I'd much rather they win than some nerd loser conservative like the guy Trudeau was up against.
Original post by Starship Trooper
@TCA2b

Honestly people like Trudeau and Newsom- despite their ideology- are just such chads and scumbags, I can't even hate them I just have to admire their grift. Same to a lesser extent with Biden.

I'd much rather they win than some nerd loser conservative like the guy Trudeau was up against.

I'd agree if I didn't think they were just puppets. Particularly Biden, he gives off the impression of being an empty suit. Trudeau comes across to me as manufactured as Macron does, maybe touch more psycho, though.
Original post by TCA2b
I'd agree if I didn't think they were just puppets. Particularly Biden, he gives off the impression of being an empty suit. Trudeau comes across to me as manufactured as Macron does, maybe touch more psycho, though.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong they're totally controlled although I think they're willing puppet s.
Oh yeah don't get me wrong they're totally controlled although I think they're willing puppet s.

Question mark on that point with Biden. :tongue: Genuinely think he's rather senile. Younger Biden, I might have agreed. But yes to the others, as well as Macron.
Reply 8
Woo.

Trudeau is pretty centrist/liberal, certainly not a 'lefty'.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by DSilva
Woo.

Trudeau is pretty centrist/liberal, certainly not a 'lefty'.

I've never seen him as a lefty in the traditional sense. He actually reminds me of Tony Blair in many ways, albeit a more foppish, dim-witted and less Machiavellian version of Blair, but a cut of the same political cloth, certainly.
Reply 10
Original post by Chadmiral Nelson
I've never seen him as a lefty in the traditional sense. He actually reminds me of Tony Blair in many ways, albeit a more foppish, dim-witted and less Machiavellian version of Blair, but a cut of the same political cloth, certainly.

Very much so. Poltically and eocnomically he's very much a blairite.
Reply 11
i guess i'm not completely surprised; i don't think it's typical for a state to vote in new leaders in the middle of a crisis, like better the devil you know than the devil you don't know. given Trudeau and co's policies regarding mandatory vaccinations (faarrr more strict than anything in the UK for anyone who doesn't know :fyi:) social distancing rules etc i'm surprised the Liberals didn't lose a few more seats to NDP tho. plus, most Canadians (in fact 68%) did not want this election and thought it was bullcrap for Trudeau to call one in the midst of a pandemic when the Liberals still had two years left in office with no(!) risk of losing it. they only called it two years early cuz they thought they had enough support to win a majority government (obvs was wrong).

but i guess Trudeau and the Liberals have proven to do enough things that Canadians want to see over the last two terms. congratulations on winning your third term Mr Prime Minister :beer:
Original post by Joleee
they only called it two years early cuz they thought they had enough support to win a majority government (obvs was wrong).

That might not be true. While the Liberal Party were ahead in the polls at the time of the elections announcement, there was probably at least someone high up in the party who realised that a needless snap election would put the government in a bad light and potentially lose them some seats.

It might have been that they gambled on doing at least as well as they had done last time, thereby securing four more years of power even if with a minority government. But, who knows. 🤷*♀️
Original post by SHallowvale
. But, who knows. 🤷*♀️

Wait, are you a girl or was that a typo?
Reply 14
Original post by SHallowvale
That might not be true. While the Liberal Party were ahead in the polls at the time of the elections announcement, there was probably at least someone high up in the party who realised that a needless snap election would put the government in a bad light and potentially lose them some seats.

It might have been that they gambled on doing at least as well as they had done last time, thereby securing four more years of power even if with a minority government. But, who knows. 🤷*♀️

i'm not sure about that one. everything i've read in the media says Trudeau only called the election two years early because overall the Liberal Party thought they could win a majority government off the back of the general public's support for how they handled the pandemic. like, they were in no risk of losing office and they had it secure for two more years :yes:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/justin-trudeau-canada-election-results-b1923796.html%3famp

('The Trudeau-led party had called the snap election off the back of popular support for the government’s response to the pandemic, hoping to win an outright majority...':wink:

also see:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.ctvnews.ca/national/politics/federal-election-2021/2021/9/21/1_5594167.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/15/justin-trudeau-canada-snap-election
Wait, are you a girl or was that a typo?

I'm a guy, the female shrug emoji is just the default that comes up in the Windows emoji pane! xD

Original post by Joleee
i'm not sure about that one. everything i've read in the media says Trudeau only called the election two years early because overall the Liberal Party thought they could win a majority government off the back of the general public's support for how they handled the pandemic. like, they were in no risk of losing office and they had it secure for two more years :yes:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/justin-trudeau-canada-election-results-b1923796.html%3famp

('The Trudeau-led party had called the snap election off the back of popular support for the government’s response to the pandemic, hoping to win an outright majority...':wink:

also see:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.ctvnews.ca/national/politics/federal-election-2021/2021/9/21/1_5594167.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/15/justin-trudeau-canada-snap-election

Fair enough! Perhaps the mood was that they could win a majority, but I'd like to think that there was at least someone sane who considered to possibility of just extending their existing government for another four years.
Reply 16
Not overly surprising but as noted, a spectacular waste of tax payers money for the liberals vain attempt to try and pump up their flagging approval. Of course, theyre not actually very liberal by any definition of the word and Trudeau himself seems to be a thoroughly unpleasant ands greasy individual.
Original post by Napp
Not overly surprising but as noted, a spectacular waste of tax payers money for the liberals vain attempt to try and pump up their flagging approval. Of course, theyre not actually very liberal by any definition of the word and Trudeau himself seems to be a thoroughly unpleasant ands greasy individual.

Just out of interest are there any parties that you think are liberal?

Also are there any politicians or parties you do like? :tongue: (nothing wrong with saying no either :wink:)
Reply 18
Just out of interest are there any parties that you think are liberal?

Also are there any politicians or parties you do like? :tongue: (nothing wrong with saying no either :wink:)

In the traditional sense? No not really :lol: Liberal as in the American corruption of the word? Far too many.

Nope :biggrin: Theyre all sefl serving, corrupt little toads. The few i did like, like Rory Stewart and co. having been forced out by zealots, alas.
Original post by Napp
In the traditional sense? No not really :lol: Liberal as in the American corruption of the word? Far too many.

Nope :biggrin: Theyre all sefl serving, corrupt little toads. The few i did like, like Rory Stewart and co. having been forced out by zealots, alas.

There you go then haha

Ah the opium user yeah I liked him too just cos he was so weird. Probably wouldn't have voted for him though. Him going around London talking to all the black people was hilarious. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest