The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Will applying to three courses at a single uni (UCL) be perceived as ridiculous?

Hello all,
I am a new user on TSR and I was planning on applying to universities in the UK (I live in France). Anyway, I have a safe (almost guaranteed admission) university choice in France so I am applying to difficult schools in the UK. If there are three courses that I really like, that are in three separate departments, and all fit my PS, could applying to all 3 be ok? Would UCL look down upon this thinking I am not focused enough? Would they even know I applied to 3 at their university? I am not too worried about how it will take up 3/5 spots on my UCAS since UCL is my top school and I only want to apply to 2 other programs. Each course has a different entry requirement by the way.
Many thanks!
Reply 1
What are the three courses?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
If they are in 3 different deptments it suggests that they are are not closely related. This iis the real problem - because you will not be able to write a PS that is focussed enough to be convincing for any of them. For a top Uni like UCL that will be crucial.
Original post by McGinger
If they are in 3 different deptments it suggests that they are are not closely related. This iis the real problem - because you will not be able to write a PS that is focussed enough to be convincing for any of them. For a top Uni like UCL that will be crucial.

The courses are Social Sciences with Data Science, Geography and Economics, and Arts and Sciences (within which I would major in economics and minor in geography). My PS is about Geo/Econ.
Original post by ajay06
What are the three courses?

The courses are Social Sciences with Data Science, Geography and Economics, and Arts and Sciences (within which I would major in economics and minor in geography). My PS is about Geo/Econ.
Original post by 12345678abcdefgh

Note that UCL I believe has a policy of only making one offer per applicant regardless of how many courses they apply to. So you aren't increasing your chances of getting into UCL or anything by applying to all of those courses. Also they would know you applied to three courses there because admissions are decided centrally at UCL as I understand (departments are involved but the final decision comes down to central admissions with approval of the department).

Just apply to Geography & Economics as that's the course specifically related to your PS, and apply to other courses elsewhere.
Reply 6
Original post by 12345678abcdefgh

What are your predicted grades?
Reply 7
Original post by artful_lounger
Note that UCL I believe has a policy of only making one offer per applicant regardless of how many courses they apply to. So you aren't increasing your chances of getting into UCL or anything by applying to all of those courses. Also they would know you applied to three courses there because admissions are decided centrally at UCL as I understand (departments are involved but the final decision comes down to central admissions with approval of the department).

Just apply to Geography & Economics as that's the course specifically related to your PS, and apply to other courses elsewhere.

Oh yes some unis will allow you to apply for more than one degree but will only give 1 offer, which is at their discretion

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending