The Student Room Group

can you have one job for the rest of your life?

title
Reply 1
Yes, I know of a few people who joined the armed forces from leaving school and stayed there until eligible for retirement.
Reply 2
Original post by DavidA81
Yes, I know of a few people who joined the armed forces from leaving school and stayed there until eligible for retirement.

is this supposed to be a sarcastic comment?

I am being serious, once you get a job can you stay there until you die/retire? (as some don’t get to the age of retirement hence why I said die)
Original post by Anon346775

I am being serious, once you get a job can you stay there until you die/retire? (as some don’t get to the age of retirement hence why I said die)

You can stay there til you retire but you may be forced to retire in your 60s.
Reply 4
Original post by harrysbar
You can stay there til you retire but you may be forced to retire in your 60s.

is that a bad thing? do people retire earlier than that or something?
Reply 5
say you don’t care about the low money and the career progression and moving up the ladder.
is that a bad thing? do people retire earlier than that or something?

All I’m saying is that you don’t normally stay at work until you die, you retire first
Reply 7

How do you think I'm being sarcastic?

If we are going off your comment about until you die then of course you can have just one job.
What exactly do you mean by one job?
One profession.
One employer.
Or one tightly defined, specific set of tasks.

Maybe, in terms of profession and possibly employer, then the traditionals of academia, medicine, the law, the church, and the military all fit the concept of 'one job for life'.
Outside of government and large institutions then the concept of a single employer for life seems to be a concept from times past - even if you don't intentionally change employer then privatisation, takeovers, company splits and rebranding does the task for you.
But job in terms of a specific set of tasks it seems unlikely that you wouldn't at least be on some sort of progression, journey, development of some sort - whether that's as in retail, vehicle maintenance, agriculture or even fine art you'll generally be learning and changing within a changing environment.
And ultimately, even if you could get 'one job for life', would you want it? With increasing healthy lifespan and later retirement age then a working life could be 50 years.
Reply 9
I know researchers who are into their 70s, who have been there for at least 30 years, can be longer if you start earlier.

There's also post office workers who keep going to an old age.

You don't have to retire and unless you are unfit to work they cannot really force you into retirement without facing a tribunal.
Another aspect of 'one job for life' is a self definition - if you define yourself as a actor, performer, musician, visual artist, novelist or any of a range of creative activities - then that might be your 'one job', but you might need a raft of secondary subordinate and changing other roles to support the main focus.
title

Yes you can, but it generally isn't something you can pick and choose, it has to be the right kind of work. You can't apply for an office job or whatever, and expect or force the employer to employ you forever. But if you choose a career in something you control, ie you are self-employed, you can do that for as long as you want or are able.
Original post by threeportdrift
Yes you can, but it generally isn't something you can pick and choose, it has to be the right kind of work. You can't apply for an office job or whatever, and expect or force the employer to employ you forever. But if you choose a career in something you control, ie you are self-employed, you can do that for as long as you want or are able.

what about 0 hour contracts?
Original post by harrysbar
All I’m saying is that you don’t normally stay at work until you die, you retire first

not everyone gets to the age where they can work or retire though, some die before the age of 16 (which is when you can do an apprenticeship), or work full time jobs at 18 and some just die young at past that age but young like 19 for example.
Original post by Dee-Emma
What exactly do you mean by one job?
One profession.
One employer.
Or one tightly defined, specific set of tasks.

Maybe, in terms of profession and possibly employer, then the traditionals of academia, medicine, the law, the church, and the military all fit the concept of 'one job for life'.
Outside of government and large institutions then the concept of a single employer for life seems to be a concept from times past - even if you don't intentionally change employer then privatisation, takeovers, company splits and rebranding does the task for you.
But job in terms of a specific set of tasks it seems unlikely that you wouldn't at least be on some sort of progression, journey, development of some sort - whether that's as in retail, vehicle maintenance, agriculture or even fine art you'll generally be learning and changing within a changing environment.
And ultimately, even if you could get 'one job for life', would you want it? With increasing healthy lifespan and later retirement age then a working life could be 50 years.

I mean one profession.
what about 0 hour contracts?

Again, you can't force the employer to keep you on a 0 hour contract. A contract is a contract, both parties can always negotiate an end to the contract, and in most cases it is inevitable that one party will at some point want to end the contract. Economics will change during your lifetime.
Original post by threeportdrift
Again, you can't force the employer to keep you on a 0 hour contract. A contract is a contract, both parties can always negotiate an end to the contract, and in most cases it is inevitable that one party will at some point want to end the contract. Economics will change during your lifetime.

going a bit off topic and it might sound like a stupid question but 0 hour contracts are basically theres no guaranteed hours of work right? a bit like self employed but self employed you can control your career? does self employed jobs have contracts or not?

(I only just started working so I don’t know much).
going a bit off topic and it might sound like a stupid question but 0 hour contracts are basically theres no guaranteed hours of work right? a bit like self employed but self employed you can control your career? does self employed jobs have contracts or not?

(I only just started working so I don’t know much).

No, self-employed jobs are where you work for yourself. You might be a craftsperson, so you carve your own wooden bowls or make your own pots and sell them. You might be a plumber or a carpenter but you work alone etc.

Zero hours is still a contract to work for an employer, just a more flexible one in regard to your commitment to each other.
I mean one profession.

One profession - yes possibly. But that profession may well evolve in response to technological and social changes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending