The Student Room Group

sprouting, not flouting second year

hello! i'm sprout and i'm going into second year of a psychology degree at cardiff uni :smile:

academic info:

Spoiler

my results from my first year modules are as follows:

don't know what my modules are officially for second year, i'm pretty sure there's a list of them on the public website but i can't be bothered to check right now :colondollar: will update when i get my timetable and such! all my modules are compulsory this year as well.
second semester of first year counted 10% towards my final degree classification and second year overall counts 20% i think.
this year i am treasurer of a society (would rather not say which one rn to maintain some privacy) so that's quite cool. hoping i continue to volunteer with saib this year as well as would love to help run some more mental health workshops- we only did one last year and it was on microsoft teams but i haven't heard much from them recently.
thinking about joining athletics this year as i like running and i'd like to have something physically active on the side

i also recieved a 3 year scholarship from santander after applying last year so in the summer of second year i am meant to have a funded global opportunity which i'm really excited about!! would love to go somewhere scandinavian but i'd be happy anywhere really :yep:

some goals for this year:
push myself out of my comfort zone a bit more
achieve 2:1 average
spend less time on social media
am more reflective and thoughtful of my day to day actions- i can be a bit hasty in my speech and behaviour at times
get a decent amount of volunteering/experience
by the end of 2021 i want to have read 20 books this year- i'm at 15 atm!!
look after my mental health

new tag list:

Spoiler

(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

have amended my op and title with some goals and background info for this year.

mini-update post: i'm moving back to cardiff the 14th, i'm very ready and excited :gah: finished working a few days ago so i've been enjoying a few chill days and meeting w friends etc. i've a beabadoobee concert tomorrow and a friend coming to sleep over after and i'm meeting up w a friend on the monday (hopefully!!)
packing i've not really started :lol: but most of my stuff is in cardiff already so it's just packing clothes really and a few bits and pieces left.
tagging my old tag list for the last time, let me know if you wanna be tagged still :dancing: hope you're all having great weeks!

Spoiler

Hello Sprout! :hi:

Good luck with your second year at Cardiff! You've got this! Can I be added to the tag list? :hugs:
Original post by 5hyl33n
Hello Sprout! :hi:

Good luck with your second year at Cardiff! You've got this! Can I be added to the tag list? :hugs:

hi shyleen!! thank you :hugs::heart: of course, will add you now :smile:
Reply 4
Hahaha this title is a lot better than my suggestion for last year

Liking the goal regarding books, since this summer I've tried to get back in to reading a bit more. Have you decided on the next 5 or no?
:gah: excited for this!! please keep me tagged :hugs:
Original post by absolutelysprout
have amended my op and title with some goals and background info for this year.

mini-update post: i'm moving back to cardiff the 14th, i'm very ready and excited :gah: finished working a few days ago so i've been enjoying a few chill days and meeting w friends etc. i've a beabadoobee concert tomorrow and a friend coming to sleep over after and i'm meeting up w a friend on the monday (hopefully!!)
packing i've not really started :lol: but most of my stuff is in cardiff already so it's just packing clothes really and a few bits and pieces left.
tagging my old tag list for the last time, let me know if you wanna be tagged still :dancing: hope you're all having great weeks!

Spoiler

Enjoy ye concert. Wow, I can only DREAM of going to such an event.

Keep me tagged. I am not around much these days so you will probably be on PRSOM for a long long time.
Congratulations on your 1st year results and best of luck for the year ahead! Please add me to your tag list :hugs: :heart:
Original post by absolutelysprout
hello! i'm sprout and i'm going into second year of a psychology degree at cardiff uni :smile:

Unrelated to thread topic but I am living for your Office avatar 😍
Original post by Sinnoh
Hahaha this title is a lot better than my suggestion for last year

Liking the goal regarding books, since this summer I've tried to get back in to reading a bit more. Have you decided on the next 5 or no?

nah yours was good as well :tongue:
yeah same!! i've had a lot more time for reading this summer so i've taken full advantage of it (well, tried to)
i got 3 books for a pound from the charity shop so they'll probably be the next ones i read- they're the girl with the dragon tattoo, the rosie project and the colour purple so quite different books :lol:

Original post by flaurie
:gah: excited for this!! please keep me tagged :hugs:

will do :hugs:

Original post by Blue_Cow
Enjoy ye concert. Wow, I can only DREAM of going to such an event.

Keep me tagged. I am not around much these days so you will probably be on PRSOM for a long long time.

thank you! i will send you photos so it'll feel like you're right there :yep: :tongue:
will do :smile:

Original post by RazzzBerries
Congratulations on your 1st year results and best of luck for the year ahead! Please add me to your tag list :hugs: :heart:

thank you! and of course :biggrin:

Original post by rosy_posy
Unrelated to thread topic but I am living for your Office avatar 😍

ahahaha thanks :lol:
(edited 2 years ago)
keep me tagged. congrats with everything and good luck this year :hugs:
(edited 2 years ago)
prsom! keep me tagged please, and good luck with second year :smile:
Original post by niamhdoesmaths
prsom! keep me tagged please, and good luck with second year :smile:

thank you!!! and will do!! :biggrin:
Congratulations on passing first year and for obtaining that scholarship. I'm sure you'll have a great time working abroad! :woo:
I'm definitely with you on getting more work experience and volunteering this year, and it seems like you've been working towards that already, which is great!

Hope the transition moving back to Uni has been going well, and looking forward to your updates! :biggrin:
Original post by Golden Crow
Congratulations on passing first year and for obtaining that scholarship. I'm sure you'll have a great time working abroad! :woo:
I'm definitely with you on getting more work experience and volunteering this year, and it seems like you've been working towards that already, which is great!

Hope the transition moving back to Uni has been going well, and looking forward to your updates! :biggrin:

thank you!!
been very busy but has been nice :yep::hugs: hopefully i'll manage to get an update up soon :colondollar:
can't believe i'm in second year already whattt :eek: i've been busy busy :colondollar:
second year is already going so much better than first year which has been lovely- went to a course society social last night and loads of course people were there, spoke to lots of fellow second years and had a good chat with some first years too :yep: we went to live lounge which had a live local band and the atmosphere there was so nice and i knew a lot of the songs :gah: definitely will be back at some point in the future!! got back quite late last night so was difficult to get up this morning in time for my lecture :colondollar:

second year lectures seem to be pretty interesting so far though i'm only on my first week so it's not been much beyond intro lectures!! my modules this semester are:
ps2011 - developmental psychology
ps2027 - social psychology
ps2024 - psychological research skills

i can already tell i won't enjoy ps2011 that much, for some reason i just find studies on children/babies very interesting :lol: maybe i'm just sick of reading about them from a level?? social psychology does seem pretty good so far; i've gotten used to american lectures for some reason so it was jarring to hear a very british guy lecturing social psychology.

being treasurer for a society is going okay so far, planning our first social wasn't too difficult but i think we've got some payments involved for the next one so planning it is gonna require more effort and i'm gonna have to chase up committee members with keeping receipts and stuff but i'm sure it'll be fine:yep:
i've also literally just bought membership to athletics club as well, thought it'd be nice to properly join a sports club this year and maybe try a race or two :lol: (may have already bought a ticket to my first ever race as well:ninja:) have been to a few sessions and have enjoyed them and meeting new people- it's much easier to run when you've other people with you!! though talking whilst running is bleh

i am also interesting in joining the roller skating society bc i'd love to learn how to do it but i don't wanna take on too much as well, i've enjoyed these first few weeks far too much because i've had no uni work or major commitments so i'm gonna see how balancing athletics, being treasurer and the other stuff goes!!
:rofl:

random but also thinking of going to a different church in cardiff to the one i've been to a few times because i've found i don't really agree with some of their ethos, which i only found out about when i went on their website but trying to decide on one to go to is difficult :colondollar:

my housemates are all lovely this year and i get along with all of them so well so we've been doing lots of stuff together- i feel very lucky that i've found them!! we've booked to watch venom 2 as a house next saturday which i'm excited for!! was down with a horrible cold and lost my voice last weekend but now have mostly recovered- though i am losing my voice again a bit :s-smilie: i've 3 lectures tomorrow so i better go to bed before 1am tonight :biggrin: hope you're all doing well :hugs:

Spoiler

sounds like a great start! second year was probs my favourite uni year so i’m sure you’ll have a blast! high five for joining a sports club in second year too lol :five:
What a mix! Treasurer + roller skating + athletics = awesome :yep: :lol:

Glad to hear you’re loving it so far!! :hugs:
so maintaining this didn't go to plan lol
anyway i got a placement for next year which i'm very excited about :biggrin: thought i flopped the interview so was a lovely surprise to recieve the offer
uni is an awful lot of work, i'm busy and tired constantly. 2022 has been pretty awful for me in terms of physical ailments already, had shin splints, went to physio for that and now i seem to have permanently pulled a muscle in my thigh from running so haven't been able to go to athletics as often which is really annoying. socially and academically it's going ok though :smile:
passed all my exams and got a 2:1 overall in developmental module and social module:biggrin: and a first in research skills (not gonna talk about how horrific the exam was)
im only writing this right now as i've just finished an essay on the role of rumination in depressive relapse and frankly i dont know how im doing this degree sometimes
self isolation sucks but at least i got a ton of work done?? can't wait to hopefully leave the house tomorrow i am going crazy and getting more miserable lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending