The Student Room Group

University of Plymouth A100 2022 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OmarHam3d
What does university of plymouth do to select for interview. Do they have a holistic approach or just take x number of top Ucat scores?

UCAT cutoff. If you read through this thread, you'll see this being discussed in detail :smile:
Original post by xivst
Gcse's
Maths 8
Rs 8
Bio 8
DT 8
Chem 7
physics 7
english lit 7
english lang 7
geography 7
history 7
further maths 6

Predicted
Bio A*
Chem A*
Maths A*

UCAT
2620 sjt band 2
vr 530
dm 710
Qr 710
Ar 670
AVG: 655

No contextuals

was wondering if it would be likely to get an interview with these stats

Really depends on what the hell happens with their UCAT cutoffs, but it's potentially one of your safer options. Read through the thread for the discussion :smile:
Original post by becausethenight
UCAT cutoff. If you read through this thread, you'll see this being discussed in detail :smile:

No where does plymouth say that they are going off just a UCAT cut off. Instead they say that they will "exclusively consider acadmic criteria" and so that could mean GCSES and predicted grades
Original post by OmarHam3d
No where does plymouth say that they are going off just a UCAT cut off. Instead they say that they will "exclusively consider acadmic criteria" and so that could mean GCSES and predicted grades

Why ask the question if you know the answer...? :tongue:

While you are right that they are being very unclear, the most logical thing for them to do is simply raise their UCAT cutoff. They have never used GCSEs in scoring before (and their rep made no mention of GCSE thresholds) and do not seem keen to raise A levels (as otherwise I would expect them to keep pre-publishing their UCAT cutoff). Obviously anything could happen but that is true of anywhere, such as Birmingham announcing their increased offer grades a month before the deadline or Plymouth adding new selection criteria post application last year - all we can do is go off what we have been told.
How much do you predict they will increase the cutoff? Like what score range would you consider to be safe to apply to Plymouth with?
I have a question: Are you more likely to get an interview from Plymouth if you have higher A-level predictions?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by medprincess
I have a question: Are you more likely to get an interview from Plymouth if you have higher A-level predictions?

Potentially, we just don’t know. Read through the thread for a full summary of the chaos :tongue:

My two cents would be on them just using UCAT this year, but that’s a gut feeling, not anything else.
(edited 2 years ago)
What UCAT score would be safe to apply to Plymouth?
@becausethenight

thank you :smile:
Original post by MAY2222222
What UCAT score would be safe to apply to Plymouth?
@becausethenight

thank you :smile:

We really don’t know, read through the thread to see what’s been going on.

Anything >2600 is probably pretty safe, but you may also want an A* predicted just in case and we can’t guarantee anything. If you have a lower UCAT though you have to apply somewhere and there’s a good chance Plymouth would be OK with 2450-2500s (but not definite)
(edited 2 years ago)
hi! just wanted to ask a quick question for current students about the diversity at the plymouth medical school and the plymouth area in general. i wear a hijab so i'd preferably like to be somewhere where i won't get hate-crimed (i wish this was a joke lmao), but i rlly like plymouth as a medical school and its already one of the four im applying to. not necessarily looking for a place filled with fellow hijabi sisters (that would be great tho), but just hoping the campus has some POC is all :smile: thanks in advance!
Original post by becausethenight
We really don’t know, read through the thread to see what’s been going on.

Anything >2600 is probably pretty safe, but you may also want an A* predicted just in case and we can’t guarantee anything. If you have a lower UCAT though you have to apply somewhere and there’s a good chance Plymouth would be OK with 2450-2500s (but not definite)

Hi. Given the debacle that was last year's admission cycle at Plymouth, does the A* (predicted or achieved) need to be in Chemistry or Biology?

I know I should probably ask them but wondered if anyone here might know. TIA
Original post by Domichael
Hi. Given the debacle that was last year's admission cycle at Plymouth, does the A* (predicted or achieved) need to be in Chemistry or Biology?

I know I should probably ask them but wondered if anyone here might know. TIA

I believe when they selected last year it had to be in a science subject, but if you read through this thread you’ll see messages from their official rep that neither confirm nor deny.
- no longer relevant so I deleted -
(edited 2 years ago)
Hello, I'm a home student and wondering if it would be smart to apply to Plymouth?

GCSE: 9,8,7,7,6,6,6,6
UCAT: 2790 B2
A Level: A*AA
I may be eligible for a contextual offer, would that increase my odds of getting an offer?
Original post by Harshaplayz
Hello, I'm a home student and wondering if it would be smart to apply to Plymouth?

GCSE: 9,8,7,7,6,6,6,6
UCAT: 2790 B2
A Level: A*AA
I may be eligible for a contextual offer, would that increase my odds of getting an offer?

Yes, you'd probably interview (you may want to make sure your A* is in science in case they do use it for shortlisting?)
does the uni look at sjt bands?
Original post by sjtband4loser
does the uni look at sjt bands?

No not that I know of, tho I don't think they accept sjt band 4?
Reply 37
Original post by KA_P
Maybe post in the 2022 entry thread? You're more likely to get a response on there.

Don't worry, there's lots of POC on the medicine course. Not as much in other courses in the uni or around the place but the overall environment is very supportive and people on the whole are extremely friendly and it's unlikely you'll feel out of place.
Original post by hehe_x
Don't worry, there's lots of POC on the medicine course. Not as much in other courses in the uni or around the place but the overall environment is very supportive and people on the whole are extremely friendly and it's unlikely you'll feel out of place.

Wrong reply? :smile: @snepshell
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by hehe_x

thats rlly reassuring :u: ngl i ultimately dont rlly mind where i go so long as im studying med in the end, but it does make an impact when you're staying there for 5/6 years so this is hopeful news, tysm for the info!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending