The Student Room Group

Scammer has my details

So someone on Facebook offered me a job saying that they have a crystal business and I'd have to phone and email clients letting them know what happening with their order. So I gave him my details and a pic of my driving license so he has my name,address,email,phone number,bank account number and sort code,d.o.b. He put 900 pounds into my account and told me to send it to another account and was threatening me if I don't do it so I did but now I realise that he isn't who he says he is cos he won't talk to me on the phone and there's other people on Facebook saying that they r him and doing the same thing. So I told him that I don't want him to put anymore money into my account so he hasn't now and nothings happened to my account. I've ordered a new driving license but I'm worried that he's going to do something with my details so what should I do??
Reply 1
Inform your bank, the police and report it to Facebook.

And don't give your personal details out to complete strangers. You wouldn't stand in the middle of your local high street handing out this info to passersby on pieces of paper, so why on earth would you do it online?
Reply 2
Original post by cherlloydfan1
So someone on Facebook offered me a job saying that they have a crystal business and I'd have to phone and email clients letting them know what happening with their order. So I gave him my details and a pic of my driving license so he has my name,address,email,phone number,bank account number and sort code,d.o.b. He put 900 pounds into my account and told me to send it to another account and was threatening me if I don't do it so I did but now I realise that he isn't who he says he is cos he won't talk to me on the phone and there's other people on Facebook saying that they r him and doing the same thing. So I told him that I don't want him to put anymore money into my account so he hasn't now and nothings happened to my account. I've ordered a new driving license but I'm worried that he's going to do something with my details so what should I do??

Prepare for a Cifas marker.
Reply 3

Inform your bank as soon as you can -- like "right now" -- and tell them that the money has been paid into your account in error, and ask them to return it to wherever it came from.
Tell the police
Reply 5
Original post by martin7
Inform your bank as soon as you can -- like "right now" -- and tell them that the money has been paid into your account in error, and ask them to return it to wherever it came from.

They've already sent it to another account, making them complicit in money laundering.
Reply 6
Original post by IWMTom
They've already sent it to another account, making them complicit in money laundering.

Oops, I didn't read the post carefully enough.
Call the police

You may need to check your credit report with Experian (which you can do for free on Money Saving Expert) to ensure the guy hasn't taken out credit in your name since many of these fake job scams do also involve identity theft. You may end up having to get a CIFAS (Credit Industry Fraud Avoidance System) protective marker, which will mean any applications for credit in your name will go under extra checks. All mainstream banks, mobile phone providers and insurance companies are a part of CIFAS. This marker protects you and the banks since financial services are considered the true victims in identity theft cases, according to this news source: https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/money/identity-theft-why-not-victim-crime-fraudsters-use-name-target-finances-964226.

I'm sorry this happened to you since you may have not realised what you were getting yourself into, but I'm afraid your bank isn't going to be easy on you since you moved (potentially) illicit money that may end up being used to fund drug dealing, prostitution or human trafficking. You may end up with a CIFAS marker (not the protective kind, but rather the marker that leaves you struggling to gain credit for 6 years). This is not me scaring you; money mules end up with a CIFAS marker cat 6 for first-party fraud, a marker for people who've used their accounts for fraud. You'll find it hard to get a bank account when your account ends up closing, and you will not be able to take out a phone contract, mortgage, or credit card until the 6 years have passed and the marker is gone. Depending on your personal circumstances, you may not be able to get a student loan if you're planning on going to university, and you may have to postpone getting a mortgage if you're currently planning on buying a property.

However, there are things you can consider now if this does happen. It's best to be prepared for these kinds of situations. If you're 18, you can go to a credit union and get a prepaid card, though you will usually have to pay monthly to use it. Here are the following cards you can get: https://www.money.co.uk/prepaid-cards.htm. Good news is that many of these prepaid cards allow you to pay your salary into them, which means you can work despite having a CIFAS marker. However, rumour has it that Pockit is no longer accepting people with CIFAS markers, which means that Pockit may no longer be an option. If you're under 18, here are cards you can consider getting: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/cards-for-under-18s/.

If you're planning on getting a phone contract, you may need to consider other options. You may need to get a pay as you go phone or use a family or friend's old phone. However, there are contracts available, albeit in short supply. Here are places that may offer deals without a credit check: https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/mobile-phone-credit-check.

Also, CIFAS markers can affect your job prospects, especially if you want to work in law and finance. So, be prepared for other career options if you're planning to work in these industries.

Hope this helps.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by LottieLot
You may need to check your credit report with Experian (which you can do for free on Money Saving Expert) to ensure the guy hasn't taken out credit in your name since many of these fake job scams do also involve identity theft. You may end up having to get a CIFAS (Credit Industry Fraud Avoidance System) protective marker, which will mean any applications for credit in your name will go under extra checks. All mainstream banks, mobile phone providers and insurance companies are a part of CIFAS. This marker protects you and the banks since financial services are considered the true victims in identity theft cases, according to this news source: https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/money/identity-theft-why-not-victim-crime-fraudsters-use-name-target-finances-964226.

I'm sorry this happened to you since you may have not realised what you were getting yourself into, but I'm afraid your bank isn't going to be easy on you since you moved (potentially) illicit money that may end up being used to fund drug dealing, prostitution or human trafficking. You may end up with a CIFAS marker (not the protective kind, but rather the marker that leaves you struggling to gain credit for 6 years). This is not me scaring you; money mules end up with a CIFAS marker cat 6 for first-party fraud, a marker for people who've used their accounts for fraud. You'll find it hard to get a bank account when your account ends up closing, and you will not be able to take out a phone contract, mortgage, or credit card until the 6 years have passed and the marker is gone. Depending on your personal circumstances, you may not be able to get a student loan if you're planning on going to university, and you may have to postpone getting a mortgage if you're currently planning on buying a property.

However, there are things you can consider now if this does happen. It's best to be prepared for these kinds of situations. If you're 18, you can go to a credit union and get a prepaid card, though you will usually have to pay monthly to use it. Here are the following cards you can get: https://www.money.co.uk/prepaid-cards.htm. Good news is that many of these prepaid cards allow you to pay your salary into them, which means you can work despite having a CIFAS marker. However, rumour has it that Pockit is no longer accepting people with CIFAS markers, which means that Pockit may no longer be an option. If you're under 18, here are cards you can consider getting: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/cards-for-under-18s/.

If you're planning on getting a phone contract, you may need to consider other options. You may need to get a pay as you go phone or use a family or friend's old phone. However, there are contracts available, albeit in short supply. Here are places that may offer deals without a credit check: https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/mobile-phone-credit-check.

Also, CIFAS markers can affect your job prospects, especially if you want to work in law and finance. So, be prepared for other career options if you're planning to work in these industries.

Hope this helps.

Fully right even after the 6 years it would be hard to get credit going to have to start from fresh again

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending