The Student Room Group

How much does your university matter for law? Am I doomed at Soton?

Hi guys, I achieved A*AB, I didn’t retake the B which I got the year prior which I really regret, but what can you do. Really pleased with the A*A I got this year

Anyway, I got into the Uni of Soton for an LLB and was really pleased with that initially, but then my stress started to kick in and now I’m second guessing whether I’ll be able to get a training contract after graduating from this university

I know in general the uni is pretty highly regarded, but how is the reputation for law? Do I have a chance at Silver/Magic/US Firms or will I be stuck working at Tom’s Lawyers? Or will I even get a training contract?

Am I capping myself going to Soton with A*AB? Leeds emailed me back and said they accept people onto their access course with AAB, but that would mean another gap year and with how uncertain everything else, I don’t know if my mental health could handle another year of uncertainty and doing nothing at home… my mental health would really suffer. On top of that I don’t even know if the difference between soton and leeds is even that significant for an LLB. Also, after this year’s inflated grades I am really unsure on how the entry requirements would be from other universities, I know that some unis like Manchester are raising their entry requirements to A*AA…

I know this question most likely gets asked a lot but I would appreciate any replies
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by MrSoloDolo
Hi guys, I achieved A*AB, I didn’t retake the B which I got the year prior which I really regret, but what can you do. Really pleased with the A*A I got this year

Anyway, I got into the Uni of Soton for an LLB and was really pleased with that initially, but then my stress started to kick in and now I’m second guessing whether I’ll be able to get a training contract after graduating from this university

I know in general the uni is pretty highly regarded, but how is the reputation for law? Do I have a chance at Silver/Magic/US Firms or will I be stuck working at Tom’s Lawyers? Or will I even get a training contract?

Am I capping myself going to Soton with A*AB? Leeds emailed me back and said they accept people onto their access course with AAB, but that would mean another gap year and with how uncertain everything else, I don’t know if my mental health could handle another year of uncertainty and doing nothing at home… my mental health would really suffer. On top of that I don’t even know if the difference between soton and leeds is even that significant for an LLB. Also, after this year’s inflated grades I am really unsure on how the grade boundaries would be from other universities, I know that some unis like Manchester are raising their entry requirements to A*AA…

I know this question most likely gets asked a lot but I would appreciate any replies

@harrysbar Can you please advise at a civilised hour,thanks!
Reply 2
Original post by Scotney

Lol cheers, still recovering from my illness so I sleep and wake up extremely early…

Is he supposed to be the resident barrister of the forum? I’m a noob here 🙂
Original post by Scotney

Funnily enough I’m awake and browsing TSR 😂 The difference between Southampton and Leeds is really nothing- the grades are the most important thing and A*AB will be sufficient for almost every training contract going.
But I’m not a barrister @MrSoloDolo or even a “he” - sorry my username is a bit misleading
Reply 4
Original post by harrysbar
Funnily enough I’m awake and browsing TSR 😂 The difference between Southampton and Leeds is really nothing- the grades are the most important thing and A*AB will be sufficient for almost every training contract going.
But I’m not a barrister @MrSoloDolo or even a “he” - sorry my username is a bit misleading

Hey,

Bit more of a “civilised” hour now lol. So would you say I still stand a chance for a training contract at a good firm? Are you currently working at a firm? I was joking about the forum resident barrister comment lol, but since that person tagged you I assumed you were knowledgable on this :smile:

You think I’m stressing for no reason then? I am only asking since I would be distraught spending all that time and money in uni to come out without a training contract…

Cheers for your thoughts
Reply 5
Hey,

Bit more of a “civilised” hour now lol. So would you say I still stand a chance for a training contract at a good firm? Are you currently working at a firm? I was joking about the forum resident barrister comment lol, but since that person tagged you I assumed you were knowledgable on this :smile:

You think I’m stressing for no reason then? I am only asking since I would be distraught spending all that time and money in uni to come out without a training contract…

Cheers for your thoughts

@harrysbar is an adviser on the law forum.I think she has already answered your question so no need to worry.Just land that good degree.Ps I was more excusing myself being upon TSR at that hour not you.:smile:
Hey,

Cheers for your thoughts

I go to Southampton, and I can say that the careers department within the law school is very good. They help with CVs, interviews, they let you know of opportunities, etc.

I also think that stressing about the reputation of your university is something that goes away once you begin studying. You realise that the name of your university only takes you so far.
Reply 7
Original post by hopeful-lawyer
I go to Southampton, and I can say that the careers department within the law school is very good. They help with CVs, interviews, they let you know of opportunities, etc.

I also think that stressing about the reputation of your university is something that goes away once you begin studying. You realise that the name of your university only takes you so far.

Hey,

Cheers for your thoughts. I’m not an elitist nerd who expects a job just because I went to a target school, but the truth is the reputation of your school for jobs in finance, law. economics is very important, wouldn’t you agree?

Sure, you have to put the work in and get some work experience, but if you look at the statistics, it’s easy to see which universities dominate

Go on LinkedIn, and look at Magic Circle employees. Filled with RG graduates and lots of Oxbridge grads.
Hey,

Cheers for your thoughts. I’m not an elitist nerd who expects a job just because I went to a target school, but the truth is the reputation of your school for jobs in finance, law. economics is very important, wouldn’t you agree?

Sure, you have to put the work in and get some work experience, but if you look at the statistics, it’s easy to see which universities dominate

Go on LinkedIn, and look at Magic Circle employees. Filled with RG graduates and lots of Oxbridge grads.

That is because people with top grades tend to go to those sort of Unis - many top law firms look for certain grades and lower ranked Unis don’t attract so many students with top academics.
The uni you go to may matter for barrister training I don’t know but you could ask in the legal forum. For solicitor training, it isn’t something you need to worry about and certainly not worth taking an extra year to get to Leeds over Southampton
Reply 9
Original post by harrysbar
That is because people with top grades tend to go to those sort of Unis - many top law firms look for certain grades and lower ranked Unis don’t attract so many students with top academics.
The uni you go to may matter for barrister training I don’t know but you could ask in the legal forum. For solicitor training, it isn’t something you need to worry about and certainly not worth taking an extra year to get to Leeds over Southampton

So you don’t think I am selling myself short with A*AB and the chance to go to a better university, even if it means having to take another gap year (After I already took one) and perhaps retaking the B?

You’re probably right and I’m probably overthinking it. Life and facets of it like careers are just so competitive it makes me depressed. Wish I could just be born as a boomer and pay the equivalent of a sack of potatoes for a house.
(edited 2 years ago)
So you don’t think I am selling myself short with A*AB and the chance to go to a better university, even if it means having to take another gap year (After I already took one) and perhaps retaking the B?

You’re probably right and I’m probably overthinking it. Life and facets of it like careers are just so competitive it makes me depressed. Wish I could just be born as a boomer and pay the equivalent of a sack of potatoes for a house.

I think you should just go to Southampton, it’s a perfectly good uni
Hey,

It’s funny because I had your exact mindset last year! Your worries disappear once you start university and once you start engaging in networking. Law fairs happen every year in October, and even just listening to those solicitors and barristers teaches you that you as a candidate is what matters - your university is part of your application, but it isn’t what makes or breaks anything.

Also, I think the name of your university is probably more important in things like investment banking.

It’s not as though we’re talking about Southampton Solent, university of Southampton is fine.

(Not that I think you’d have zero chances becoming a lawyer from Solent)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending