The Student Room Group

Degree in Computing & IT or Graphic Design? Help needed

I’m considering doing a BSc in a computing field (Computing & IT with Design) which will be through the Open University, but not sure if it’s the right choice. I’ve also seen a BA in Graphic Design with Open College of the Arts which I’m not sure if this will be more suited to me.

To cut a long story short, I’m bored with my job and have been equally as bored in all of my previous jobs because they don’t stimulate me enough. I’m a creative person but have never had a creative job. I like the idea of being a graphic designer, web designer or front end developer but don’t know anyone that works in these fields to ask for a real perspective on how it is.

I want a job that lets me show off my creativity and also provides flexibility such as working from home and flexible hours. Even the opportunity to freelance or become self employed would be ideal. Without getting too personal, a job with a decent salary that allows me to stop counting pennies and relying on the good old overdraft is the ultimate ‘end goal’.

Is a degree the right way to go for this career field? I see people mention online courses but do employers actually favour these over degrees? Does anyone work in this field and can give me advice?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by bb217xx
I’m considering doing a BSc in a computing field (Computing & IT with Design) which will be through the Open University, but not sure if it’s the right choice. I’ve also seen a BA in Graphic Design with Open College of the Arts which I’m not sure if this will be more suited to me.

To cut a long story short, I’m bored with my job and have been equally as bored in all of my previous jobs because they don’t stimulate me enough. I’m a creative person but have never had a creative job. I like the idea of being a graphic designer, web designer or front end developer but don’t know anyone that works in these fields to ask for a real perspective on how it is.

I want a job that lets me show off my creativity and also provides flexibility such as working from home and flexible hours. Even the opportunity to freelance or become self employed would be ideal. Without getting too personal, a job with a decent salary that allows me to stop counting pennies and relying on the good old overdraft is the ultimate ‘end goal’.

Is a degree the right way to go for this career field? I see people mention online courses but do employers actually favour these over degrees? Does anyone work in this field and can give me advice?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Why does it have to be an expensive degree? try out a bootcamp, a short course graphic design, web design\ development or UI \ UX development,
Reply 2
Original post by AmaUmu
Why does it have to be an expensive degree? try out a bootcamp, a short course graphic design, web design\ development or UI \ UX development,

It doesn’t necessarily have to be an expensive degree (although I’m in Scotland so get funding), this is just the route I’m already aware of. I work full time so need something flexible that I can do part time around work.

I will look into your suggestions, thank you! Since I’m not familiar with this industry yet, I didn’t know if courses like the ones you’ve mentioned would hold any weight in terms of getting a job for someone who doesn’t already work/have experience in this area.
Reply 3
Original post by bb217xx
It doesn’t necessarily have to be an expensive degree (although I’m in Scotland so get funding), this is just the route I’m already aware of. I work full time so need something flexible that I can do part time around work.

I will look into your suggestions, thank you! Since I’m not familiar with this industry yet, I didn’t know if courses like the ones you’ve mentioned would hold any weight in terms of getting a job for someone who doesn’t already work/have experience in this area.

My point being , degrees in IT are largely irrelevant, what you learn is usually outdated, by the time you graduate, i have a joint degree in 3 subjects, with a minor in IT, but career wise , my career has progressed faster and financially , than alot of my past university course mates, that did single honors IT degrees, because i have alot of IT vendor certifications and a portfolio of work, IT is similar to a lot of fields , where a degree or a degree subject, is irrelevant e.g. Accounting, Auditing, Actuary Law, Marketing, PR, what is important is professional certifications and experience \ Portfolio work. In fact , you could do a an IT degree, and still get nada, i know of a Computing grad, working in Sainsbury as a checkout assistant. Portfolio of work, Experience and professional certifications is king.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by AmaUmu
My point being , degrees in IT are largely irrelevant, what you learn is usually outdated, by the time you graduate, i have a joint degree in 3 subjects, with a minor in IT, but career wise , my career has progressed faster and financially , than alot of my past university course mates, that did single honors IT degrees, because i have alot of IT vendor certifications and a portfolio of work, IT is similar to a lot of fields , where a degree or a degree subject, is irrelevant e.g. Accounting, Auditing, Actuary Law, Marketing, PR, what is important is professional certifications and experience \ Portfolio work. In fact , you could do a an IT degree, and still get nada, i know of a Computing grad, working in Sainsbury as a checkout assistant. Portfolio of work, Experience and professional certifications is king.

I’ll definitely look into professional certifications. I’m open to anything really as long as it’ll help me be employable in that field. I do feel like I’m more suited to the graphic design route though but am I correct in saying IT is where the £££ is? You mentioned portfolios, how would I go about this with no experience? Are there any courses/professional certs you think are an absolute must for graphic design? Nothing too mind boggling though since I’m a newbie!
Reply 5
Original post by bb217xx
I’ll definitely look into professional certifications. I’m open to anything really as long as it’ll help me be employable in that field. I do feel like I’m more suited to the graphic design route though but am I correct in saying IT is where the £££ is? You mentioned portfolios, how would I go about this with no experience? Are there any courses/professional certs you think are an absolute must for graphic design? Nothing too mind boggling though since I’m a newbie!

if you are infested in Graphic design , a better paying IT alternative is UI \ UX Design \ Development or Web development , ( - graphic design is very competitive, and entry level role pay is low) professional certifications? google a Bootcamp or course or check out Udemy for some cheap courses, portfolio is what you build in a Bootcamp course or/and by yourself
Reply 6
Original post by AmaUmu
if you are infested in Graphic design , a better paying IT alternative is UI \ UX Design \ Development or Web development , ( - graphic design is very competitive, and entry level role pay is low) professional certifications? google a Bootcamp or course or check out Udemy for some cheap courses, portfolio is what you build in a Bootcamp course or/and by yourself

Thank you so much for your help :smile:
If you want to be a graphic designer, by far the best bet is attending a physical Uni to study the subject at degree level. It is possible to do online degrees, but only very motivated students tend to do well on them.

For a design position, the majority of employers only place value on you and your personal skills, and your portfolio. That's it. A decent portfolio is very difficult to achieve without attending a degree course, hence the majority of people in the industry have taken that path too.

If you just want a job, without worrying too much about quality/pay etc, then you can learn to be a designer using Youtube tutorials etc.

Also look into courses that blend computing with graphic design, so perhaps UI/UX, creative coding, digital media etc. There's loads out there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending