The Student Room Group

Let's do things a Little Differently (A Yr13 GYG) (2021 -- 2022)

Scroll to see replies

Homework list (due week of 13/09/2021):

RS (Timed essay questions):
S -- (A) Explain Luther's view of justification and the responses (20)
-- (B) "Justification requires both faith and works." Evaluate this view. (30)
G -- (A) Examine the distinctive features of the celebration of Christmas in the Western Church. (20)
-- (B) "The differences in the celebration of Christmas between the Eastern Orthodox and the Western Church are of no significance." Evaluate this view.

BIOLOGY:
A -- Taxis and Kinesis practice questions (due 14/09/2021)

CHEMISTRY:
L -- AS Isomerism review questions (due 16/09/2021)

Misc:
-- Personal Statement
-- UCAS application
-- EPQ

-----------------------------------
Beware the smileys coming in the next 48 hours :biggrin:

UPDATE (11/09/2021):

The first week of school was quite stressful! I studied so hard for my chemistry test -- I really hope I've done enough to boost my grade/give evidence for appeals. I'm so nervous to get it back :/

Thursday evening, Friday and today were not as productive as I would have liked (I slept 11 hours last night help), but I can always work tomorrow and I still have time today which I'll probably leave for my personal statement.

I'll try and keep everyone posted!
Original post by DownRangeLion
Hello! I realised I haven't updated in a few days!

So, it's currently Saturday evening. I had the test on Thursday, and I honestly couldn't tell you how well it went! I'm hopeful, but I'm also very cautious since I usually end up doing worse than I expect in Chemistry T_T There was a TOF mass spectrometry question, which threw me off for a second, but I usually stumble my way through them and I hope I could get at least four marks from it.

I got some extra time! Which was really useful because if I didn't have it I wouldn't have finished the TOF question. I also felt like I could think for the first time? I couldn't tell whether that was the revision or the extra time though ahah!

I almost drew the elimination reaction wrong because I registered "propene" as "propane" and was drawing PROPANE like "wait, what? An arrow's meant to be here but I don't know why..." I am SO glad I reread it because it immediately made so much more sense and then I just scribbled it down (hopefully correctly) XD

I answered every question, which is a massive plus :biggrin: All in all, I can only hope :smile:

Thanks for asking! :biggrin:

I'm glad the test went well! TOF questions are horrible. :cry2: Practice makes perfect, as they say. I'm glad you noticed your error on time. :laugh: Alkanes and alkenes can be so easily mixed up. :angry:

Well done on answering every question! :hugs:
Original post by 5hyl33n
I'm glad the test went well! TOF questions are horrible. :cry2: Practice makes perfect, as they say. I'm glad you noticed your error on time. :laugh: Alkanes and alkenes can be so easily mixed up. :angry:

Well done on answering every question! :hugs:

Thank you!! Yup, that seems to be the rhetoric XD Me too, omg! It could've gone so wrong :bawling: Alkanes and alkenes can get in the bin, to be honest :lol:

Thank you! I hope I get good news from the results (fingers crossed)!
S -- (A) Explain Luther's view of justification and the responses (20)
-- (B) "Justification requires both faith and works." Evaluate this view. (30)
G -- (A) Examine the distinctive features of the celebration of Christmas in the Western Church. (20)
-- (B) "The differences in the celebration of Christmas between the Eastern Orthodox and the Western Church are of no significance." Evaluate this view.

BIOLOGY:
A -- Taxis and Kinesis practice questions (due 14/09/2021) :biggrin:

CHEMISTRY:
L -- AS Isomerism review questions (due 16/09/2021) :biggrin:

Misc:
-- Personal Statement
-- UCAS application
-- EPQ
----------------------------
13/09/2021: I am very stressed. I'm going to panic revise my timed essay questions that is going to happen tomorrow, so wish me luck!

Tags:

Spoiler

Good luck!! :jive:
Original post by flaurie
Good luck!! :jive:

Thank you so much!
Original post by 5hyl33n
Good luck! :biggrin:

Thank you! :biggrin:
Update: So the biology test did not go that well; doing a test at lunch when you're easily distracted is hard. I stumbled my way through those questions and I fear I've done awfully; I revised none of the parts of the topics that actually came up. I'm annoyed and I just hope that they keep my predicted as the upper band :/

It's 5:30 in the morning right now (I've been up because periods) but I find it strange how the morning seems to move a lot slower. It's good for me, because I feel like I can get more done, aha!

More detailed post at the end of the week since I'm very busy at the moment T_T

Tags:

Spoiler

S -- (A) Explain Luther's view of justification and the responses (20) :biggrin:
-- (B) "Justification requires both faith and works." Evaluate this view. (30) :biggrin:

BIOLOGY:
A -- Taxis and Kinesis practice questions (due 14/09/2021) :biggrin:

CHEMISTRY:
L -- AS Isomerism review questions (due 16/09/2021) :biggrin:

Misc:
-- Personal Statement
-- UCAS application
-- EPQ

--------------------------------
16/09/2021: I think I'm going to focus on some misc stuff now so I can get it sorted. All of it is important so I shouldn't really put it off (as I seem to keep doing XD). I have another timed essay today and my second covid vaccine! Then cadets in the evening lmao that's going to go well with a sore arm.

Time to grind.

Tags:

Spoiler

Good luck with the timed essays!
Original post by Immortal-Reaper
Good luck with the timed essays!

Thank you!!
Update:

Ugh, I'm having a really hard time. My predicted grades came out, and I got ABB, but literally everyone else got As and A*s. Also, I have a hiccup with my ADHD referral; I'm worried I'll never get a diagnosis; especially not in time for A levels. I've spent like half an hour crying in my free today, so I'm obviously loving life /s

It's one of those "I can't do this anymore" days. I feel like I've made my life unnecessarily difficult. Gonna take a few days to recouperate aha :,)

Tags:

Spoiler

Original post by DownRangeLion
Update:

Ugh, I'm having a really hard time. My predicted grades came out, and I got ABB, but literally everyone else got As and A*s. Also, I have a hiccup with my ADHD referral; I'm worried I'll never get a diagnosis; especially not in time for A levels. I've spent like half an hour crying in my free today, so I'm obviously loving life /s

It's one of those "I can't do this anymore" days. I feel like I've made my life unnecessarily difficult. Gonna take a few days to recouperate aha :,)

Tags:

Spoiler

Always remember to take breaks :smile: School can always wait - also ABB is a great prediction! I know it's hard to do and cliche advice but don't compare yourself to others! A*s are a hard grade to reach and may do more harm than good :smile:
Always remember to take breaks :smile: School can always wait - also ABB is a great prediction! I know it's hard to do and cliche advice but don't compare yourself to others! A*s are a hard grade to reach and may do more harm than good :smile:

Thank you :,) It's just annoying because it gives me worry that I won't get any uni offers. I know I can do this, but it feels so hard T_T XD There's a lot of pressure at the moment I think XD I'm not event that far from an A -- I went through my test with my tutor and the questions I got wrong are only because I wrote it down on paper wrong; she kept saying that I understood all the concepts, but I don't know whether that makes it better or worse; knowing that I could but I didn't :,) Ah well, we'll see what happens. :smile:
Your blog is great! :party:

I'm in year 13 too and I don't think you need to worry about having ABB as predicted grades at all.
Please can you tag me in your future blog updates :biggrin:
Original post by Cupcakes12
Your blog is great! :party:

I'm in year 13 too and I don't think you need to worry about having ABB as predicted grades at all.
Please can you tag me in your future blog updates :biggrin:

Awh, thank you! I've made my peace with it, I think :biggrin: I think just discipline and consistency will help in the future! And yes, of course! :biggrin:
03/10/2021, To-Do:

CHEMISTRY:
- Finish Entropy notes
- Do some entropy questions

BIOLOGY:
- Write up woodlice practical (due 4/10/2021)
- Biology questions on photosynthesis (due 4/10/2021)

RS:
Essay A: Explain the Prosperity Gospel (20)
Essay B: Comment on the view that wealth is a sign of God's blessing (30) (due 12/10/2021)
- Write notes for and against women in ordination (due 6/10/2021)
----------------------------------------------
UPDATE: Okay, I went off the rails a bit these past couple of weeks -- I know I shouldn't have! But I read through a book series I've wanted to read for the LONGEST time, and to be honest it actually had benefits to it! It reminded me of why I wanted to do these A levels in the first place, and what I can achieve (the afterword in the last book made me CRY though, it spoke to my naturalist heart sm); the book series is "A Natural History of Dragons" by Marie Brennan -- the books just get better and better through the series and the ending is amazing. And that's the reason why I haven't been posting on here; pure procrastination. It's sparked passion within me though. And as the main character devoted her career to scientific discoveries, I want to prepare to do the same.

ANYWAY: School is generally fine, I think! My chemistry homework has been pretty good, I think! My isomerism homework got 43/50, and my alcohols assessed homework got 32/36. I'm pretty happy with those; I think they're higher than a B, which is what I want. I'm not going to appeal my grade though; I don't really think I could anyway. I also have a chemistry test coming up on the day of half-term, which is both great and annnoying at the same time :biggrin: It's on Isomerism, thermodynamics, and Aldehydes & Ketones. Will hopefully be prepared for that! That's the highlight of the past two weeks! Let's spend this evening trying to cross a big chunk off the to-do list XD.

Tags:

Spoiler

Well Done on those scores! I call that productive procrastinating :smile: It's always nice finding your passion again :smile: Good luck with the chemistry test!
Well Done on those scores! I call that productive procrastinating :smile: It's always nice finding your passion again :smile: Good luck with the chemistry test!

Awh, thank you so much!! :biggrin: Ah, yes, that's definitely what I did :laugh: Passion also focuses your mind, I think. I'm glad for it too, aha! Awh, thank you! Hopefully I'll get above 50% this time :biggrin:
CHEMISTRY:
- Finish Entropy notes :biggrin:
- Do some entropy questions

BIOLOGY:
- Write up woodlice practical (due 4/10/2021) :biggrin:
- Biology questions on photosynthesis (due 4/10/2021)

RS:
Essay A: Explain the Prosperity Gospel (20) :biggrin:
Essay B: Comment on the view that wealth is a sign of God's blessing (30) (due 12/10/2021) :biggrin:
- Write notes for and against women in ordination (due 6/10/2021)

------------------------------------
UPDATE: 14/10/2021

I'm really struggling to stay organised aha -- hopefully I'm able to sort myself out soon. I've had a terrible few days; I keep forgetting to update the void aha. I'm just going to blast through some work and keep this updated over the next few days. I also have a really busy weekend so I hope I can get enough work and revision done!

Tags:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending