The Student Room Group

Life is void of all meaning

My education is ruined. University is not an option anymore. Even if it was I don't feel 100% attached to any course anyway. I don't enjoy anything. I cannot conjure any genuine interest in anything. I only have two friends. I can't see any meaning in anything that extends past a superficial desire to get a good job that I can't envision myself caring about anyway. I viewed A-levels and university as an in-between for a final destination that I thought would be completely devoid of all meaning. i can't get around this feeling and now I'm am going to have to get a pointless, menial job instead of going to university. But, "that's what everyone does" Yeah, a great reason for doing something that is. I don't know what to do and this thread will probably be taken down in case it 'triggers' someone else whatever tf that means. So no actual feedback and even if this gets to people on TSR and not some 'helper forum' I don't see any of you have the answer. However, I'm writing this so some part of me must think the opposite. As iI said, I have no idea what to do.

Scroll to see replies

Go and play in a touring punk band, you'll fit right in.
Reply 2
Make like Kierkegaard; commit to something and create your own meaning
Original post by Anonymous
My education is ruined. University is not an option anymore. Even if it was I don't feel 100% attached to any course anyway. I don't enjoy anything. I cannot conjure any genuine interest in anything. I only have two friends. I can't see any meaning in anything that extends past a superficial desire to get a good job that I can't envision myself caring about anyway. I viewed A-levels and university as an in-between for a final destination that I thought would be completely devoid of all meaning. i can't get around this feeling and now I'm am going to have to get a pointless, menial job instead of going to university. But, "that's what everyone does" Yeah, a great reason for doing something that is. I don't know what to do and this thread will probably be taken down in case it 'triggers' someone else whatever tf that means. So no actual feedback and even if this gets to people on TSR and not some 'helper forum' I don't see any of you have the answer. However, I'm writing this so some part of me must think the opposite. As iI said, I have no idea what to do.

hello... are you me.

what i find really helped me is actually finding what i am passionate about. How do you go about doing this? by youtube and google.

next actually try the things you are even a little bit interested in and see if you like it

lastly if you feel like you are passionate about NOTHING...then i would just work and get some money and with time you might slowly find what you actually like. Its all about the timing. You may not be passionate about something now that doesn't mean you wouldn't be interested in it later.

Also maybe you should go to the doctor and see if you may actually have depression or any other mental health issue. Mental health issues can really impair your perspective on life

Also please dont harm yourself
Reply 4
What is the rush? Get out there find things that you love and enjoy doing, take your time because a working life is long so why is it expected that you have to plan out the rest of your life when you're still in your teens.

You can go back and figure out your qualifications or university later on in life when you’re 100% sure what you want to do (and if you even need a degree for it) there are so many options.

Join some clubs, start some new hobbies, travel, think about the things that make you most happy run with that.

What seems like the most important thing in the world now, won’t 10 years down the line.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by gjd800
Make like Kierkegaard; commit to something and create your own meaning

Kierkegaard imagined Sisyphus happy. I cannot agree.
Reply 6
Original post by xzzy
Stop being a sadkvnt go to the gym get ripped and pound pussy, you got this bro we are all gonna make it

I used to go to the gym 6 days a week and nothing changed. Even if it did, meaningless sex is not the answer in my estimation. Unsurprisingly.
This is a idea, find a fun hobby. During the first ever nationwide lockdown I had a hard time adjusting at first. It took me four or five days to accept this new way of living completely- I was that used to being out. But it was not so bad in the end. I signed up to Duo lingo and re started my weekly private French lessons with a qualified tutor.
The year went on and life gradually returned to normal. This year in the summer time I went to Portsmouth and spent some alone time on the seafront there. We stayed at a pet friendly hotel nearby. You can do this. Hang in there.
Reply 8
Kierkegaard imagined Sisyphus happy. I cannot agree.

Haha, yeah I struggled with that to a degree, too. But there can be therapy in repetition
Reply 9
Original post by gjd800
Haha, yeah I struggled with that to a degree, too. But there can be therapy in repetition

I don't want to make this a philosophy lecture but, I think that Kirkengaard could imagine an eternally damned individual happy to reinforce his support of active nihilism. He was the first to touch on it, at least that we noticed, and then Nietzsche got hold of it. I'm no philosophy student so perhaps I'm wrong but who really cares anyway?
Reply 10
I don't want to make this a philosophy lecture but, I think that Kirkengaard could imagine an eternally damned individual happy to reinforce his support of active nihilism. He was the first to touch on it, at least that we noticed, and then Nietzsche got hold of it. I'm no philosophy student so perhaps I'm wrong but who really cares anyway?

well, I'm a philosophy lecturer, so I care to a point :lol:
(edited 2 years ago)
(To OP)
So your education is screwed up? My commiserations. Bad A levels? Expulsion?

If you're wondering about menial labour- yes, it is soul crushing if you have some higher capacity in you. And low earning such that it's hard to save enough to be free.

Emotionally, you sound like you've been hurt by the world and by life, which is fine. The world is very much brutal and cold. Also, you talk about a lack of genuine desires and interests, this is a consequence of the emphasis on extrinsic motivation in modern schools.

Practically, Uni is important for intellectual jobs, which tend to earn more, so if you're intelligent this is advisable. Surely if your grades are bad just retake next year?

Ultimately you sound like you're in a bad situation but are looking for answers. That's the prerequisite to everything. Basically all you can do in life is to be materialistic (money,sex etc.), be an intellectual, or be nothing.

what even is your question?
Just read the thread properly, this is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Your life is over because you can't go uni and because of some A levels like a piece of a4 paper with a few numbers on makes your life void apprently lmao.
Why is university not an option?
Just read the thread properly, this is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Your life is over because you can't go uni and because of some A levels like a piece of a4 paper with a few numbers on makes your life void apprently lmao.

Not going to university is just inconvenient. The problem is larger than that but, you seem to have missed it
Original post by black tea
Why is university not an option?

Bad grades and can afford to retake, even though I haven't sat the exams in the first place.
(To OP)
So your education is screwed up? My commiserations. Bad A levels? Expulsion?

If you're wondering about menial labour- yes, it is soul crushing if you have some higher capacity in you. And low earning such that it's hard to save enough to be free.

Emotionally, you sound like you've been hurt by the world and by life, which is fine. The world is very much brutal and cold. Also, you talk about a lack of genuine desires and interests, this is a consequence of the emphasis on extrinsic motivation in modern schools.

Practically, Uni is important for intellectual jobs, which tend to earn more, so if you're intelligent this is advisable. Surely if your grades are bad just retake next year?

Ultimately you sound like you're in a bad situation but are looking for answers. That's the prerequisite to everything. Basically all you can do in life is to be materialistic (money,sex etc.), be an intellectual, or be nothing.

what even is your question?

What should I do is the question. However, as I said I'm not really expecting anyone on here to have an answer of any real substance.
Life does has meaning, the meaning is to survive and propagate your genes, scientifically.

If meaning is to be defined as 'important or worthwhile quality; purpose.' then well what qualities do you think are important?
Bad grades and can afford to retake, even though I haven't sat the exams in the first place.

Just move on. Grades aren't everything lol

what if i tell u that i am feeling all of that u have described. idk what to do either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending