The Student Room Group

Unsure about my biomedical science course

Hi, thank you for any future replies!

So I’ve just started my biomedical science degree at Sheffield Hallam University and I’m starting to feel very unsure about the course. Before applying to uni I was very undecided on whether to study degrees such as biology, nursing, teaching, some kind of product design course (yep I’m very indecisive!) and I came across biomed as there seems to be so many career paths from the transferable skills you learn and the content.

But I’ve just been all over the place on whether it’s the right decision as I also have strong interests in ecology and conservation which I won’t be learning on this course, and other factors such as not wanting to be always in the lab and enjoying other subjects too. I don’t know whether it’s getting to me because I’m still in my hometown and it’s been hard trying to meet people (I’m not in halls) that’s making me start to feel unsure adding to this too which is making it quite difficult to get involved with uni life as well, but I’m just a bit confused 😂

I know it’s not worth paying such expensive fees for a course I’ve not got my heart set on but I just don’t want to make mistakes in what I do about it - I’ve only been in for the first week or so but I’ve been off about the course for a while after applying.

So I was just wondering if anyone has any advice or can enlighten me on what I should do or have had any similar experiences? I can either have a year out to fully decide on a course I’ll love while getting some kind of part time job, carry on with this course and see how it goes, switch unis or courses if I can somehow decide on what I want to do, or just anything really. Thank you so much in advance and sorry for such a long post!!
Original post by Anonymous

So I’ve just started my biomedical science degree at Sheffield Hallam University and I’m starting to feel very unsure about the course. Before applying to uni I was very undecided on whether to study degrees such as biology, nursing, teaching, some kind of product design course (yep I’m very indecisive!) and I came across biomed as there seems to be so many career paths from the transferable skills you learn and the content.

But I’ve just been all over the place on whether it’s the right decision as I also have strong interests in ecology and conservation which I won’t be learning on this course, and other factors such as not wanting to be always in the lab and enjoying other subjects too. I don’t know whether it’s getting to me because I’m still in my hometown and it’s been hard trying to meet people (I’m not in halls) that’s making me start to feel unsure adding to this too which is making it quite difficult to get involved with uni life as well, but I’m just a bit confused 😂

I know it’s not worth paying such expensive fees for a course I’ve not got my heart set on but I just don’t want to make mistakes in what I do about it - I’ve only been in for the first week or so but I’ve been off about the course for a while after applying.

So I was just wondering if anyone has any advice or can enlighten me on what I should do or have had any similar experiences? I can either have a year out to fully decide on a course I’ll love while getting some kind of part time job, carry on with this course and see how it goes, switch unis or courses if I can somehow decide on what I want to do, or just anything really. Thank you so much in advance and sorry for such a long post!!

It sounds like you’re looking for a degree that covers all of your interests, which isn’t possible. Try and categories your interests by what you most enjoy, look up careers around that, and then work back to degrees, or start looking at degrees and see if any potential career paths interest you. Biomed is broad, my warning is that it’s so broad that when applying for further studying sometimes you get overlooked as you don’t have as in depth skills for one particular area as someone who did a more focused undergrad. It isn’t the end of the world but can be a disadvantage, such as applying for a heavily genetics MSc you won’t be competitive very much against someone with a strong genetics degree. By now you’ve already paid for the semester so you have a couple of months to decide whether you want to do Biomed or what you’d rather do. The broadness was enticing for me at first too, but actually ended up being one of the worst things about the degree, along with being in a class of 300 and most of them being med school rejects with surgeon sized egos, but most Biomed courses are like that.

Hi, do you think it’s a good/nice university. Are there a lot of people on the course?
@Sheffield Hallam University
Realistically, how many people are on the biomedical science course?
Thank you
Reply 4
Original post by Googley_eyes
It sounds like you’re looking for a degree that covers all of your interests, which isn’t possible. Try and categories your interests by what you most enjoy, look up careers around that, and then work back to degrees, or start looking at degrees and see if any potential career paths interest you. Biomed is broad, my warning is that it’s so broad that when applying for further studying sometimes you get overlooked as you don’t have as in depth skills for one particular area as someone who did a more focused undergrad. It isn’t the end of the world but can be a disadvantage, such as applying for a heavily genetics MSc you won’t be competitive very much against someone with a strong genetics degree. By now you’ve already paid for the semester so you have a couple of months to decide whether you want to do Biomed or what you’d rather do. The broadness was enticing for me at first too, but actually ended up being one of the worst things about the degree, along with being in a class of 300 and most of them being med school rejects with surgeon sized egos, but most Biomed courses are like that.

Hi Googley_eyes,

Thank you so much for your reply! Sorry I was unable to get onto TSR for a while, I lost my sign in details. I completely agree with what you’re saying and I think I need to just focus on individual interests to stop making everything so confusing as you said. Yeah biomedical science has been very broad so far which is quite overwhelming at first 😂, though luckily I’m starting to enjoy it a lot more now the content has become more interesting so I’m going to see how it is until Christmas and decide from there - they’ve already taken the first payment so I guess it makes sense to carry on for now. I will have a look at some of the postgraduate options and the ones you have mentioned too. And you’re definitely right about the egos 😂, people are very competitive on this course it’s scary! We’ll see how it goes…

Thank you so much again and I hope you’re well!
Reply 5
Original post by Sunflower_xx
Thank you

Hey Sunflower_xx,

I’m sorry for the delay!

So far Hallam has been really good! The uni as a whole has a nice atmosphere and the lecturers are really nice too. If you’re wanting to go there from another city too the accommodation I have seen has also been really good and people are nice!

For the biomedical science course I think there’s around 200 of us so it’s pretty big! Due to Covid we’re not able to go in the big lecture theatres but we’re split into 5 groups so it’s a lot smaller but it means it’s easier to learn with more contact with the lecturers.

Feel free to ask any other questions, I think Hallam has been pretty good so far!
Hey Sunflower_xx,

I’m sorry for the delay!

So far Hallam has been really good! The uni as a whole has a nice atmosphere and the lecturers are really nice too. If you’re wanting to go there from another city too the accommodation I have seen has also been really good and people are nice!

For the biomedical science course I think there’s around 200 of us so it’s pretty big! Due to Covid we’re not able to go in the big lecture theatres but we’re split into 5 groups so it’s a lot smaller but it means it’s easier to learn with more contact with the lecturers.

Feel free to ask any other questions, I think Hallam has been pretty good so far!

Thank you for the reply.

What is your timetable like? Is it possible to fit in a part time job?
Reply 7
Thank you for the reply.

What is your timetable like? Is it possible to fit in a part time job?

Hi,

No problem!

Yes definitely! Lots of the course is still online at the moment with work to be done in your own time which is quite useful sometimes. The weeks vary a lot so the timetable isn’t always the same but there’s a lot of hours free to fit in work if it’s a little bit flexible because then you have space to fit it in with your studying 👍
Thank you

Hi,

We're holding an Open Day on 28th November and another on 8th December if you'd like to learn more about the Biomedical Science course and chat to some of the students currently on the course. :smile: Here's a link with more info and to sign up: https://www.shu.ac.uk/campaigns/open-day/undergraduate-open-day

@hallamstudents
Emily
Official Sheffield Hallam Rep
(edited 2 years ago)
I literally got an offer today!!! And I’m really considering going there.
I literally got an offer today!!! And I’m really considering going there.

Hi @Sunflower_xx

That's brilliant news! Congratulations on your offer! :rofl3:

We have some course open days coming up in February and March, which are great to attend if you want to find out more about your chosen course and get a feel for what it will be like to study at Sheffield Hallam, the facilities and the student community in Sheffield. You can find out more about course open days and find the link to the open days booking form on our page here.

Thanks,
Emily (Sheffield Hallam Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest