The Student Room Group

Biomed or Medicine

As I got Cs on GCSE and 2250 on my UCAT I don't have many choices for medicine. So I was debating whether I should apply for Biomed and do grad entry med or take a gap year and apply for medicine. :frown:
Original post by Prigrusha
As I got Cs on GCSE and 2250 on my UCAT I don't have many choices for medicine. So I was debating whether I should apply for Biomed and do grad entry med or take a gap year and apply for medicine. :frown:

What are your predicted A Level grades? Don't worry as you can also take the BMAT which is in November, and then apply to universities which use BMAT and do not focus on GCSE attainment much.
Reply 2

Don't do a Biomed degree with the sole purpose of applying for GEM - its much more difficult and imo a waste of your time.

Always choose to take a gap year. Applying for GEM is more competitive, ur best chance of getting in is to take a gap year and reapply for undergrad
Reply 4
Original post by DaQuestioner
What are your predicted A Level grades? Don't worry as you can also take the BMAT which is in November, and then apply to universities which use BMAT and do not focus on GCSE attainment much.

I haven't got the predicted grades. But i don't really want to do BMAT.
Reply 5
Original post by SkiWoTB
Don't do a Biomed degree with the sole purpose of applying for GEM - its much more difficult and imo a waste of your time.

But there would still be a chance for me to go to medicine right?
Reply 6
Original post by spectrum84
Always choose to take a gap year. Applying for GEM is more competitive, ur best chance of getting in is to take a gap year and reapply for undergrad

But taking a gap year doesn't change the fact I still have low GCSEs right? and I have to do the UCAT again?
But taking a gap year doesn't change the fact I still have low GCSEs right? and I have to do the UCAT again?

No it won't change that but neither will applying for grad med
Yes u would have to redo the UCAT but the advantage is u don't have to get as high UCAT as an undergrad to get an interview, grads are expected to get 3000+ and u'll also have to do the GAMSAT.
There's loads of unis that don't put much emphasis on GCSE and they're not all expecting A*A*A like Cambridge.

Take as many gap years as u need, u have a much better chance of getting into med as an undergrad rather than a grad
Why dont you do research into unis. Some are not so particular abt the UCAT... In liverpool i think a student got in with a UCAT of 1700....
I haven't got the predicted grades. But i don't really want to do BMAT.

The BMAT might be your only option if you want to get into medicine for 2022.

But there would still be a chance for me to go to medicine right?

You're competing with people who have phd's or lots of experience in other healthcare fields so it would be even more competitive.
Original post by Effyd123
Why dont you do research into unis. Some are not so particular abt the UCAT... In liverpool i think a student got in with a UCAT of 1700....

Liverpool has a either a 75/25 or 50/50 weighing for GCSE/UCAT, I think they changed it recently so I'm not 100% sure about which one they're using this year.
Reply 11
Original post by Effyd123

but they look at GCSE
Ye thats true... Soz hadnt read the full question
Reply 13
Original post by hungrysalamander
Liverpool has a either a 75/25 or 50/50 weighing for GCSE/UCAT, I think they changed it recently so I'm not 100% sure about which one they're using this year.

they weigh on GCSE

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending