The Student Room Group

[Official] Oxford Mathematics applicant for 2022 entry

I couldn't really find a thread for Oxford Maths this year, so I thought I'd create one.

Maths or Maths and/with ______?

Which College?

GCSE (or equivalent) grades?

A-level (or equivalent) subjects and predicted grades?

What other Uni's are you applying to?

Which Admissions test are you planning to take?

Scroll to see replies

Hi, thanks for making this thread

Subject: Maths
College: Not sure yet
GCSE: 9999999999
A levels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics
Predicted: A*A*A*
Universities: Imperial, Warwick, Birmingham and Nottingham
Admissions Test: MAT
Reply 2
College: Magdalen
GCSE: 99999A88777766
A Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Economics
Uni's: UCL, LSE (Maths with Econ), Durham and Bath
Admissions tests: MAT & TMUA
Original post by bhavik_2058
College: Magdalen
GCSE: 99999A88777766
A Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Economics
Uni's: UCL, LSE (Maths with Econ), Durham and Bath
Admissions tests: MAT & TMUA

You did 14 GCSES?!?
Reply 4
Original post by CaoticKing
You did 14 GCSES?!?

Yep 14 gcses and 1 btec, some people from my school did 15 tho but its only cuz we started sitting exams from yr 9 and 10
Maths

Which College? Keble

GCSE (or equivalent) grades? 99999888888

A-level (or equivalent) subjects and predicted grades? Maths A*, Further Maths A, Chemistry A*, Computer Science A*

What other Uni's are you applying to? Not decided yet

Which Admissions test are you planning to take? MAT

Question: Is it worth me applying if I only have a predicted grade of A in Further Maths? If it helps, I'm a girl at a state comprehensive - could that be a factor?
Original post by Pilgrim_2005
Maths

Which College? Keble

GCSE (or equivalent) grades? 99999888888

A-level (or equivalent) subjects and predicted grades? Maths A*, Further Maths A, Chemistry A*, Computer Science A*

What other Uni's are you applying to? Not decided yet

Which Admissions test are you planning to take? MAT

Question: Is it worth me applying if I only have a predicted grade of A in Further Maths? If it helps, I'm a girl at a state comprehensive - could that be a factor?

I wouldn't because on the website they state that you need an A* in Further Maths and the course is very competitive so if you don't meet the requirement it's unlikely you'll get an offer. However, I have heard that someone got in who didn't meet the requirement but got full marks in the MAT so I guess if you do really well in the MAT you could have a chance.
Yep 14 gcses and 1 btec, some people from my school did 15 tho but its only cuz we started sitting exams from yr 9 and 10

That was not a great idea - especially with 6s. Is the is Private school?
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
That was not a great idea - especially with 6s. Is the is Private school?

no its a state school
no its a state school

Why do they do early entry then? Ofsted hate it as do unis - they like to see all GCSEs sat together.
Why do they do early entry then? Ofsted hate it as do unis - they like to see all GCSEs sat together.

no clue man but it lowkey allowed us to explore a wider range of subject areas which was really helpful
College: Don't know, might do open application
GCSE: 9999999988
A levels: Maths, further maths, computer science, physics
Predicted: Don't know
(edited 2 years ago)
no clue man but it lowkey allowed us to explore a wider range of subject areas which was really helpful

The grade 6s might hurt you though ...
Original post by heccyeah
College: Don't know, might do open application
GCSE: 9999999988
A levels: Maths, further maths, computer science, physics
Predicted: No idea

How can you think of applying without knowing your predicted grades? Why are your school being so secretive?
How can you think of applying without knowing your predicted grades? Why are your school being so secretive?

I don't know - my school hasn't mentioned anything about predicted grades to us yet at all.

My maths teachers are encouraging me to apply to oxbridge though and I have done well in previous assessments / mocks, so I assume my predicted grades for maths + fm will be good enough. For computer science I am fairly confident I would get predicted an A* again based on previous assessments and the coursework we are currently doing. Not so sure about physics though, I would guess around an A.
Original post by heccyeah
I don't know - my school hasn't mentioned anything about predicted grades to us yet at all.

My maths teachers are encouraging me to apply to oxbridge though and I have done well in previous assessments / mocks, so I assume my predicted grades for maths + fm will be good enough. For computer science I am fairly confident I would get predicted an A* again based on previous assessments and the coursework we are currently doing. Not so sure about physics though, I would guess around an A.

Ask tomorrow - are you getting support with MAT prep? If your grades aren't where you think then its a wasted application.
Good luck everyone! :grin:
Original post by flaurie
Good luck everyone! :grin:

Thank you!!!
Ask tomorrow - are you getting support with MAT prep? If your grades aren't where you think then its a wasted application.

you're acc bad vibes bro

I will ask tomorrow but physics is the only one that concerns me tbh. I got an A* in my year 12 mock but I am doubtful that they would predict me an A*. Of course I can't be certain what they will predict before asking, but in maths / fm / cs I've been getting either full marks or not far off in all the mocks & assessments we've done so I am reasonably confident about those.

In terms of the MAT my teachers will sometimes give me practice questions to do but other than that that's about it. I have been practicing in my own time however and watching these. As far as I'm aware no one else from my sixth form is going to be taking it though.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending