The Student Room Group

Am I the only person who feels that school was seriously traumatic?

Three years after I’ve left, I still have these reoccurring nightmares of being back at school. The memories of being humiliated by my so called ‘classmates’ in primary and high school, humiliated by teachers, and feeling alienated, having no friends, being bullied excessively, I’ve developed seriously bad anger and I've become an bitter person as a result.

I’m a different person now and I’ve moved on, but I still have flashbacks or dreams where I’m in school, and I can feel the pain that I once felt. The pain comes back. I want to remove the pain. I want the pain to go.
Original post by Anonymous
Three years after I’ve left, I still have these reoccurring nightmares of being back at school. The memories of being humiliated by my so called ‘classmates’ in primary and high school, humiliated by teachers, and feeling alienated, having no friends, being bullied excessively, I’ve developed seriously bad anger and I've become an bitter person as a result.

I’m a different person now and I’ve moved on, but I still have flashbacks or dreams where I’m in school, and I can feel the pain that I once felt. The pain comes back. I want to remove the pain. I want the pain to go.

Traumatising experiences are remembered for a long time by nature. If the nightmares don't go away soon, I'd recommend talking to a counsellor or GP.
Reply 2
Original post by Doomotron
Traumatising experiences are remembered for a long time by nature. If the nightmares don't go away soon, I'd recommend talking to a counsellor or GP.

What can I tell them?
Reply 3
Therapy would be a good option for you. It can help you work through the memories and associated thoughts and emotions.
Reply 4
Original post by Pathway
Therapy would be a good option for you. It can help you work through the memories and associated thoughts and emotions.

I don't need a therapist I just want to erase those past memories that are painful
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I don't need a therapist I just want to erase those past memories that are painful

Well, okay, but that's not possible, so you need to work through them.

Good luck and take care.
Reply 6
Original post by Pathway
Well, okay, but that's not possible, so you need to work through them.

Good luck and take care.

I don't therapy because I do not want to talk to anyone. I'd rather be alone.
Reply 7
How can I remove the traumatic memories of the past?
Reply 8
you are right
same i know how you feel! I still have dreams of my high school years as well as the terrible people that i was surrounded with. i try to avoid thinking about my traumatic school experience during the day so that i won't have any dreams about it.
I have lots of nightmares about high school too. There are no words that could describe how traumatising high school was. It was seriously the most miserable time of my life... The people were horrible to me and I just had terrible memories there.
You are not the only person, everyone has different school experiences but mine was like a prison and the people were sooo toxic. I also have dreams where i'm back in the assembly hall or people are ganging up on me. I don't think it's always about school itself, but school memories are symbolic of things related to inner child, fitting in socially, power roles etc. So the dreams could also be trying to get you to reflect on your adult life.
Same

I don’t think about it anymore but I thought about this the other day and the sheer primal fear I lived with in school, being 11-14 and running on instincts, brings back bad memories.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending