The Student Room Group

Really shaken up by this

I was walking home from the shops and a group of white boys jumped me as I joke (I’m a girl) and apologised saying they thought I was someone else. (They didn’t attack me but they like all came screaming and sort of jumping on my back). I live in a predominantly white town so I’m already on edge, especially as a degenerate vandalised the n-word on my window. On a group chat after that football fiasco some of the boys were joking about lynching one of us (I have screenshots). This is not funny especially as lynches still happen till this day by white supremacists and you can research cases on the internet. I feel like racists are becoming increasingly comfortable since they are facing, and have faced absolutely no repercussions for their actions. My white friends are telling me it’s not that bad and to stop overreacting but they haven’t ever suffered systemically or been oppressed for their race with no justice, so they couldn’t understand me. I’ve contacted my university and accommodation and they said sorry and that’s it, I’ve asked if they could catch those who wrote the slur on their cameras but they don’t seem to care to check. I’m considering leaving this town. Then people have the audacity to say the UK isn’t racist like they’re omniscient. I was really angry but honestly I’m just disappointed now, I’ve realised racism is just fuelled by envy and insecurities. I feel like I have no support from my university or accommodation, what do I do?
Original post by Anonymous
I was walking home from the shops and a group of white boys jumped me as I joke (I’m a girl) and apologised saying they thought I was someone else. (They didn’t attack me but they like all came screaming and sort of jumping on my back). I live in a predominantly white town so I’m already on edge, especially as a degenerate vandalised the n-word on my window. On a group chat after that football fiasco some of the boys were joking about lynching one of us (I have screenshots). This is not funny especially as lynches still happen till this day by white supremacists and you can research cases on the internet. I feel like racists are becoming increasingly comfortable since they are facing, and have faced absolutely no repercussions for their actions. My white friends are telling me it’s not that bad and to stop overreacting but they haven’t ever suffered systemically or been oppressed for their race with no justice, so they couldn’t understand me. I’ve contacted my university and accommodation and they said sorry and that’s it, I’ve asked if they could catch those who wrote the slur on their cameras but they don’t seem to care to check. I’m considering leaving this town. Then people have the audacity to say the UK isn’t racist like they’re omniscient. I was really angry but honestly I’m just disappointed now, I’ve realised racism is just fuelled by envy and insecurities. I feel like I have no support from my university or accommodation, what do I do?

Your uni should take action as it’s a form of bullying same as writing fag on a gay persons window. The boys probably thought they were being cool, as all men with that ‘lad’ mentality are idiots that give other white people and especially white boys, a bad reputation globally.

As for the rest of the thread, it has been proven more than once that the UK is much less racist than many other European countries and is not systematically or institutionally racist. Some generally smaller companies are, as they’re also run by idiots, but they get caught out more frequently and shut down these days. But this has also led to the recognition that companies and restaurants run by non-white people, especially it seems Asian people, are frequently racist to their white (and any ethnicity that isn’t their own) staff, suggesting that it’s more to do with the majority bullying the minority, regardless of the colour of the majority and minority. We still have a long way to go to become equal, but there is no policy or silent agreement to discriminate against black of Asian people, and the government and big organizations are not racist. Education prioritizes non-white students so if anything it’s fairer towards minority ethnics, it’s once they enter the workplace that these companies run by racist people start to cause issues. This also kind of explains the rise in the stereotypical lad mentality, dumb white boys that then increases reports of sexual harassment and racism.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Your uni should take action as it’s a form of bullying same as writing fag on a gay persons window. The boys probably thought they were being cool, as all men with that ‘lad’ mentality are idiots that give other white people and especially white boys, a bad reputation globally.

As for the rest of the thread, it has been proven more than once that the UK is much less racist than many other European countries and is not systematically or institutionally racist. Some generally smaller companies are, as they’re also run by idiots, but they get caught out more frequently and shut down these days. But this has also led to the recognition that companies and restaurants run by non-white people, especially it seems Asian people, are frequently racist to their white (and any ethnicity that isn’t their own) staff, suggesting that it’s more to do with the majority bullying the minority, regardless of the colour of the majority and minority. We still have a long way to go to become equal, but there is no policy or silent agreement to discriminate against black of Asian people, and the government and big organizations are not racist. Education prioritizes non-white students so if anything it’s fairer towards minority ethnics, it’s once they enter the workplace that these companies run by racist people start to cause issues. This also kind of explains the rise in the stereotypical lad mentality, dumb white boys that then increases reports of sexual harassment and racism.

You are right, I’ve experienced racism the most by Arabs and Asians so I am not blaming white people entirely. I just don’t know what to do because they haven’t replied to my emails and I’m just scared at this point. The thing with school prioritising minorities/ethnics is because of the consequence caused by racism/colonialism/discrimination which led to destabilising of our nations and homes, making it harder to create an education for ourself. I do agree the government is less racist than America but you have people like Priti Patel who congratulated the black boys brining England to the finals yet her system would of prevented them coming in. Europe is extremely racist, a few holidays there and i am grateful to be living in the UK because it was honestly one of the worst experiences, especially in Prague Czech Republic. The things with schools and other institutions, you wouldn’t be able to claim there is no racism unless you are coloured yourself. Racism takes many forms both overtly and covertly through micro aggressions so it’s not fair to deny it when people have experienced it. You couldn’t tell. Being told is that is that really your real hair by the headteacher as a child is a form of micro agressions/discrimination/racism even if he didn’t mean it because if I was white, that question wouldn’t be asked. I also got sent home for having blonde highlights in my hair, but a white girl (natural brunette like me) had the same yet was praised in assembly for being “stylish”. I don’t expect you to know this and it’s not your fault for not knowing, but this is why you can’t come to conclusion that racism isn’t prominent. However despite the many issues, I am mostly happy here in the UK and i have some amazing white friends so it’s not everyone. It’s just that things like this remind me how terrible the system is despite basically being in 2022, will it ever get better do you think, shall I move university? Idk because there’s obviously terrible people everywhere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending