The Student Room Group

Best UK University Masters in Economics

Hi there!

I’m looking at economics masters in the UK but as I’m from Ireland I’m not fully aware about the lay of the land for universities! And find one ranking could have ranked a certain university high while another might not even have it on their list.

I’m looking at
Nottingham
Bath
Strathclyde
Durham
Manchester
Lancaster

1. How would you rank these universities based on economics/ standard of learning
2. Is there a reason why you would pick one over the other

Thanks for any help 👍🏼
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by JustAnotherFloop
The best ones there is probably Durham, Nottingham and Manchester - I would say Durham is slightly better than the other two. Apart from oxbridge, UCL, LSE and Warwick (these are literally the best Unis for econ in the UK), these 3 would probably be the best option. This is because these rank relatively high to econ, semi targets to banks and also quite a lot of people apply to these schools as they have a good reputation as well as them being Russel groups. I say the next one is probably bath. They aren't Russel groups per say but they are still a good option as their economics programme is respected and has good rep. I honestly don't know about Lancaster or Strathclyde, I have never really did any research on either of these universities. To conclude, I think you need to do your research on which one is best for you because uni rankings aren't reliable to an extent tbh and your decision should not be based upon it. Look though student room to find others experiences and look though individual courses too to see if they are right for you because you are paying a lot for this and you shouldn't waste it on something you don't like.

Personally I disagree with the above poster. Durham is good for undergraduate economics (on the same level as Bristol, Bath and Nottingham) but it's not very strong for postgraduate economics. Manchester and Nottingham are far stronger at postgrad level.

My rough ranking would be Nottingham > Manchester > Bath > Durham > rest. But I generally wouldn't consider Durham or the ones below anyway. Places like Bristol, Notts, even Warwick aren't very difficult to get into for a MSc Economics so there's not much point at looking at unis below the tier 1 unis (Oxbridge, LSE, UCL and Warwick) and tier 2 unis (Notts, Bristol, Exeter's MRes, Manchester, Edinburgh). Anyhow, the unis below these have lower and lower value for money (they're similar prices but worse quality).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending