The Student Room Group

Do i have to redo my practical endorsement if i'm resitting Y13?

My teacher wants me to redo my practical endorsement as if i'm going to resit i need to do quote on quote do "everything" that the rest of class do and that includes resitting the PAGs but according to OCR's website resit students can have their practical endorsement carried over:ocr.org.uk/subjects/science/positive-about-practical/faqs/ so what do i do because i really don't want to do the PAGs again and i don't need that practical endorsement for the degree that i'm doing (French degree so couldn't care less about PAGs). Any help or clarity would be great please thanks. do I get my parent to email the school?
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Bear in mind that whatever the OCR advice is, you school may require everyone to do the full course, practical endorement included - and if thats the case, then you will just have to do it. Often in these situations there is little point in making a Big Fuss as you dont 'win' and all it does is get people's backs up, creating an atmosphere around you and your relationship with teachers. A quiet word with the Head of Science (not a big drama involving parents) is the best way to go, but if its a No, then just accept that decison and move on.
Original post by McGinger
Bear in mind that whatever the OCR advice is, you school may require everyone to do the full course, practical endorement included - and if thats the case, then you will just have to do it. Often in these situations there is little point in making a Big Fuss as you dont 'win' and all it does is get people's backs up, creating an atmosphere around you and your relationship with teachers. A quiet word with the Head of Science (not a big drama involving parents) is the best way to go, but if its a No, then just accept that decison and move on.

ok thanks. i don't know whether i have to redo it for physics (need to ask) but for chem i have to redo it, wasn't intending on causing a big drama.
Original post by McGinger

Does that mean that i can be failed despite having passed previously (if i don't do them well this year)? because i passed the PAGs last and i don't want to redo them and get failed that would be a blow. I just really hate practical stuff :frown:.
(edited 2 years ago)
update: for physics i don't have to redo them in physics so it seems kind of inconsistent to do them for chemistry and not physics when i passed both :confused:, surely it should be i either redo both or a redo none?. If i want the chem practical endorsement i've got to redo it even though i've passed?!? idk will probably need to ask the head of science for more clarity (only asked head of chem).
Reply 5
If you received an overall grade last year including a pass in the practicals then the practical pass can be carried forward and you don't have to redo the them (but the school will need to remember to enter you with a slightly different exam code for this, e.g. H420C rather than H420A.) However, part of the exams are based on an understanding of the practicals - by doing them you should understand them better and your chance of getting a good grade in the A level should increase. It may be that the Chemistry department thinks redoing them will help your overall understanding.
Original post by EOData
If you received an overall grade last year including a pass in the practicals then the practical pass can be carried forward and you don't have to redo the them (but the school will need to remember to enter you with a slightly different exam code for this, e.g. H420C rather than H420A.) However, part of the exams are based on an understanding of the practicals - by doing them you should understand them better and your chance of getting a good grade in the A level should increase. It may be that the Chemistry department thinks redoing them will help your overall understanding.

I just don't care about the practical stuff tbh (like I obviously got know how to do the practicals still incase I get exam questions on them but yeah, practical stuff in general isn't really my thing, would rather just memorise).

The teacher is saying that if I WANT the practical endorsement (which I already have? :confused:) then I need to redo them I.e that I'm not going to get it if I don't redo them (at least that's the vibe of getting when they said that and that I have "no excuses").

Anyways emailed the head of science in my school for some clarity.

Like I want to know if that's means that I can go from a pass to fail if I don't do well this year. Like even the biology department are agreeing with me (asked head of biology and they said correct I.e that I don't have to redo them)... So idk what's with this inconsistency man (I don't do A-level biology but if I did do it I also would not have had to redo the PAGs).

Yeah sorry for the "I can't be bothered attitude" but I just really can't be bothered to redo them to put it frank (especially knowing that I don't have to) and would rather focus on revising content.
Original post by Talkative Toad
I just don't care about the practical stuff tbh (like I obviously got know how to do the practicals still incase I get exam questions on them but yeah, practical stuff in general isn't really my thing, would rather just memorise).

The teacher is saying that if I WANT the practical endorsement (which I already have? :confused:) then I need to redo them I.e that I'm not going to get it if I don't redo them (at least that's the vibe of getting when they said that and that I have "no excuses").

Like I want to know if that's means that I can go from a pass to fail if I don't do well this year. Like even the biology department are agreeing with me (asked head of biology and they said correct I.e that I don't have to redo them)... So idk what's with this inconsistency man (I don't do A-level biology but if I did do it I also would not have had to redo the PAGs).

Yeah sorry for the "I can't be bothered attitude" but I just really can't be bothered to redo them to put it frank (especially knowing that I don't have to) and would rather focus on revising content.

I retook chemistry alevel through my school but I sat the exam as a private candidate
As you said OCR resits allow the pass in PAGs to be carried forward ... maybe ask if you can sit as a private candidate so that way you won’t need to redo everything cause it’s a lot and not sure why if you’ve passed the PAGs!!!
Original post by planktion34
I retook chemistry alevel through my school but I sat the exam as a private candidate
As you said OCR resits allow the pass in PAGs to be carried forward ... maybe ask if you can sit as a private candidate so that way you won’t need to redo everything cause it’s a lot and not sure why if you’ve passed the PAGs!!!

Nah I'd rather do face to face (that's what I'm doing right now, face to face full time) but my chem teacher wants my Y14 self to do any PAGs that the Y13's do... So I don't have to redo the Y12 one's but any PAGs that my class do going forward I have to do them "if I want that practical endorsement"... :s-smilie: like I want to know if I can have my pass go to a fail if I'm forced to do them "again" and I do poorly and if the School will I guess be "responsible" for that fail if they make my redo them and I well do bad? Or will it be like tough luck lady you should have simply done well in the PAGs when you did them again. Like I know that I said that I didn't care about the practical endorsement but I do care about well not failing because I'm potentially being made to do the Y13 one's again but then I idk do badly so that pass becomes a fail. Being told by parent to show that evidence to my teacher and argue my case with my "fact" but as @McGinger says I don't want to get into an argument with that teacher. I just need to hope for the best at this point may update soon but Thanks McGinger for you original advice on telling me to email the HoS done that now, I'm just wanting on a response.
Reply 9

Your teacher is wrong, you have the practical endorsement already. As long as you make sure your exams officer enters you for the 'NEA carried forward' option (ending in a C) then your Chemistry teacher won't get the chance to decide whether you pass or not as she won't get the option online to choose your grade.
Original post by EOData
Your teacher is wrong, you have the practical endorsement already. As long as you make sure your exams officer enters you for the 'NEA carried forward' option (ending in a C) then your Chemistry teacher won't get the chance to decide whether you pass or not as she won't get the option online to choose your grade.

Yeah the Head of science has emailed OCR as I did the PAGs in an "unusual year" and is waiting on a response from them, hopefully OCR come back and say no 2021 and 2020 Cohort resit students don't have to redo the PAGs. I'm just want to know whether my pass can become a fail if I am made to resit them... :bricks: can my pass become a fail if I'm made to resit them or will it stay as a pass?
Reply 11
Yeah the Head of science has emailed OCR as I did the PAGs in an "unusual year" and is waiting on a response from them, hopefully OCR come back and say no 2021 and 2020 Cohort resit students don't have to redo the PAGs. I'm just want to know whether my pass can become a fail if I am made to resit them... :bricks: can my pass become a fail if I'm made to resit them or will it stay as a pass?

You do not need to re-sit them. You have a pass and the correct thing to do is to carry that forward. It doesn't make a difference that this is 2021. I honestly don't know what would happen initially if the school mucked it up by:

Not carrying forward the pass

Entering a not classified in 2022

but exam boards bend over backwards not to disadvantage the candidate when the centre has messed it up so I expect they'd give you your pass back if they initially gave you a NC and you appealed.
Original post by EOData
You do not need to re-sit them. You have a pass and the correct thing to do is to carry that forward. It doesn't make a difference that this is 2021. I honestly don't know what would happen initially if the school mucked it up by:

Not carrying forward the pass

Entering a not classified in 2022

but exam boards bend over backwards not to disadvantage the candidate when the centre has messed it up so I expect they'd give you your pass back if they initially gave you a NC and you appealed.

What does NC mean (non-classified?)? And where does it say that even for 2021 exam students they wouldn't have to resit them? Like I know that I've got that OCR link as evidence but you know 2021 grades were just :vroam:(way too inflated and high) so even if I did the minimum PAGs or whatever/didn't manage to do some of them does that really not change anything? Do I have to be treated equally/just as valid as my year group had it "tough"/would be discriminatory if I wasn't treated like a 2020 and prior cohort student who managed to to the PAGs without any distruption?

So if I have to redo the PAGs but then I do poorly so the school and/or the school decides to ignore that pass from last year I can appeal my grade and be like "nope the school screwed up, this is their "fault"" and then get that pass? My school is good but when it comes to communication ngl they are just rubbish (my old crappy school has way better communication).
Got a PAG on Monday so that's great... Going to prep for it I guess 2 hour Organic Chemistry PAG yay fun... :coffee:
because I doubt that I'll get a response fast enough.
Reply 15
What does NC mean (non-classified?)? And where does it say that even for 2021 exam students they wouldn't have to resit them? Like I know that I've got that OCR link as evidence but you know 2021 grades were just :vroam:(way too inflated and high) so even if I did the minimum PAGs or whatever/didn't manage to do some of them does that really not change anything? Do I have to be treated equally/just as valid as my year group had it "tough"/would be discriminatory if I wasn't treated like a 2020 and prior cohort student who managed to to the PAGs without any distruption?

So if I have to redo the PAGs but then I do poorly so the school and/or the school decides to ignore that pass from last year I can appeal my grade and be like "nope the school screwed up, this is their "fault"" and then get that pass? My school is good but when it comes to communication ngl they are just rubbish (my old crappy school has way better communication).

NC=Not classified
It doesn't say that 2021 students don't have to resit them in 2022 (but they havn't issued the detailed guidance for 2022 yet) but they have given you the pass and, based on all the other decisions they've made, they won't take that away from you. Students taking Autumn exams can carry forward the pass and I don't see it will be different next Summer.

The massively overinflated grades people have ben awarded in 2021 (and 2020) can't be taken away from people, why would they treat this any differently?
Original post by EOData
NC=Not classified
It doesn't say that 2021 students don't have to resit them in 2022 (but they havn't issued the detailed guidance for 2022 yet) but they have given you the pass and, based on all the other decisions they've made, they won't take that away from you. Students taking Autumn exams can carry forward the pass and I don't see it will be different next Summer.

The massively overinflated grades people have ben awarded in 2021 (and 2020) can't be taken away from people, why would they treat this any differently?

idk that's something my school should be thinking about (the HoS is the one who thinks that my pass may not 100% be guaranteed to be passed (no pun intended) over based on the fact that I was a lockdown leaver :dontknow:, probs because i didn't do the PAGs in an robust as a manner that the 2020 and prior cohort did even if it's supposed to be "equal", not me). So in short my pass can't be taken away from me even if i redo the Y13 ones and do bad? if that's the case then what an earth is the point of having my backside try to do a 2hr PAG on Monday, that i clearly remember doing last year? Thanks for the help, today need to see if i can actually get some kind of conformation that i don't need to redo any PAGs.
Reply 17
idk that's something my school should be thinking about (the HoS is the one who thinks that my pass may not 100% be guaranteed to be passed (no pun intended) over based on the fact that I was a lockdown leaver :dontknow:, probs because i didn't do the PAGs in an robust as a manner that the 2020 and prior cohort did even if it's supposed to be "equal", not me). So in short my pass can't be taken away from me even if i redo the Y13 ones and do bad? if that's the case then what an earth is the point of having my backside try to do a 2hr PAG on Monday, that i clearly remember doing last year? Thanks for the help, today need to see if i can actually get some kind of conformation that i don't need to redo any PAGs.

I can't provide any proof for you, but I've been an exams officer (amongst other school roles) for 15 years and I do know how these things work -I cannot see they can withdraw you pass in the practicals. However, if the school is letting you resit Y13 they are doing you a big favour (it's messy but if it's a state school they probably won't get any funding for you) and you need to repay that by being reasonable and not winding your teachers up if you can avoid it
Original post by EOData
I can't provide any proof for you, but I've been an exams officer (amongst other school roles) for 15 years and I do know how these things work -I cannot see they can withdraw you pass in the practicals. However, if the school is letting you resit Y13 they are doing you a big favour (it's messy but if it's a state school they probably won't get any funding for you) and you need to repay that by being reasonable and not winding your teachers up if you can avoid it

what do you mean i won't get funding? and repay for what? my school isn't making pay for anything and they can't this year anyway and funding isn't an issue but got an update which that I may have to provide evidence that i've done the PAGs to check that i wrote them up yeah idk how i'm going to do that for Chemistry so RIP (i can do that for physics though). HoS said don't worry about it and that i'll get an email once they get a final response from OCR as to whether i need to redo them or not... Looks like i'll be doing the PAGs until i get a verdict.
Original post by EOData

thanks for all of the help

Latest