The Student Room Group

IB Markets Gap Year

I am about to go into my final year at university and think of taking a gap year to build my knowledge and be more prepared to try get into Markets S&T as I know it’s really competitive.

I also think it would a good chance to take a step back before starting my career and taking a grad scheme in something just for a job as I’ve heard the more experience you have full time the harder to transition into an IB in markets

As it’s quite late don’t know if this is a good option or what I can do in the year or just to take it after graduating
Please do not take a gap year just to build your knowledge. The technicals are not so hard you need a year to learn them.
If you want to take it to travel or whatever or chill, fair enough but if you go in expecting the technicals to take a year to learn, you're gonna be bored for a year 😂.

Also are you sure you have the luxury to do this? What's your profile like? Applying for S&T grad schemes positions without an already decent profile is pretty much impossible.
Reply 2
Original post by anonuser99
Please do not take a gap year just to build your knowledge. The technicals are not so hard you need a year to learn them.
If you want to take it to travel or whatever or chill, fair enough but if you go in expecting the technicals to take a year to learn, you're gonna be bored for a year 😂.

Also are you sure you have the luxury to do this? What's your profile like? Applying for S&T grad schemes positions without an already decent profile is pretty much impossible.

I did also want to take it to travel and take time off etc before graduating and actually having to find a job but it’s probably not the best time with COVID and all that to do so

As in I’m not sure Ive have the luxury as I don’t have a grad program lined up but got a decent profile with intern experience in a BB already, not sure if this will help much if it’s going to be a year old experience if I do take a year out
Original post by xidona
I did also want to take it to travel and take time off etc before graduating and actually having to find a job but it’s probably not the best time with COVID and all that to do so

As in I’m not sure Ive have the luxury as I don’t have a grad program lined up but got a decent profile with intern experience in a BB already, not sure if this will help much if it’s going to be a year old experience if I do take a year out

So you have an S&T internship on your CV already? Sounds good.
FT recruiting is pretty difficult regardless of your profile due to the sheer lack of positions (most if not all taken up by internship converts).
Have you considered applying for an S&T internship this year at the banks that allow you to apply as a final year? I believe this includes most BBs (even if they don't explicitly say it), the absolute exception being DB. Then if you convert that you'd probably start the job anywhere from Jan-April. That gives you a good 4-8 months of relaxation while not having to deal with the stress of FT recruiting. If you do want to do this you need to start applying yesterday.
Reply 4
So you have an S&T internship on your CV already? Sounds good.
FT recruiting is pretty difficult regardless of your profile due to the sheer lack of positions (most if not all taken up by internship converts).
Have you considered applying for an S&T internship this year at the banks that allow you to apply as a final year? I believe this includes most BBs (even if they don't explicitly say it), the absolute exception being DB. Then if you convert that you'd probably start the job anywhere from Jan-April. That gives you a good 4-8 months of relaxation while not having to deal with the stress of FT recruiting. If you do want to do this you need to start applying yesterday.

I have tried applying to some places but haven’t heard back yet and I need to probably communicate something to the uni before starting before taking the time out.

I have left it kind of late only starting to apply last week and I’m kind of afraid the S&T experience on my CV will kind of go to waste if I don’t secure anything this cycle. Started late partly because I was drained after the intense intern but also was thinking a gap will mean I can apply to interns again earlier next year and try to get something as I imagine interns are less difficult to get then FT when I graduate
Original post by xidona
I have tried applying to some places but haven’t heard back yet and I need to probably communicate something to the uni before starting before taking the time out.

I have left it kind of late only starting to apply last week and I’m kind of afraid the S&T experience on my CV will kind of go to waste if I don’t secure anything this cycle. Started late partly because I was drained after the intense intern but also was thinking a gap will mean I can apply to interns again earlier next year and try to get something as I imagine interns are less difficult to get then FT when I graduate

What do you mean by "taking the time out"? Why would you need to take time out of uni?

I don't think the experience will go to waste if you don't get anything this cycle, it's not a mouldy sandwich... but you do lose to ability to do a summer internship conversion route into FT (although technically you could still apply to off-cycles).

You're not that late tbh. I got ACs last year at firms I applied to around this time.
Reply 6
What do you mean by "taking the time out"? Why would you need to take time out of uni?

I don't think the experience will go to waste if you don't get anything this cycle, it's not a mouldy sandwich... but you do lose to ability to do a summer internship conversion route into FT (although technically you could still apply to off-cycles).

You're not that late tbh. I got ACs last year at firms I applied to around this time.

Sorry I meant taking the gap year before uni starts

I see, yes I do loose the chance to do an intern which I think is probably the easiest way to break into finance at a BB. Are off cycles very competitive like full time. I’d imagine I can get a grad role but it won’t be in a BB or something S&T related which I ideally want to break into, don’t know if I can change paths 2 years after taking a job as I heard they like to hire less experienced people

Oh okay I guess I need to apply then but I thought the gap year will put me in a position to apply to interns next year too if I fail this cycle kind of like a contingency plan
Original post by xidona
Sorry I meant taking the gap year before uni starts

I see, yes I do loose the chance to do an intern which I think is probably the easiest way to break into finance at a BB. Are off cycles very competitive like full time. I’d imagine I can get a grad role but it won’t be in a BB or something S&T related which I ideally want to break into, don’t know if I can change paths 2 years after taking a job as I heard they like to hire less experienced people

Oh okay I guess I need to apply then but I thought the gap year will put me in a position to apply to interns next year too if I fail this cycle kind of like a contingency plan

Oooh you wanted to take a gap year before your final year? And you think it will give contingency if you fail this cycle?

1. Not sure if you're allowed to do that from a banks perspective but then again, idk how they'd find out.

2. Why would you fail this cycle? You already have BB internship experience, so clearly you've shown you can do the application process. If you can't get in this year, I don't see why that would change by waiting another year.

Re off cycles, I think they're less competitive than FT.
Reply 8
Oooh you wanted to take a gap year before your final year? And you think it will give contingency if you fail this cycle?

1. Not sure if you're allowed to do that from a banks perspective but then again, idk how they'd find out.

2. Why would you fail this cycle? You already have BB internship experience, so clearly you've shown you can do the application process. If you can't get in this year, I don't see why that would change by waiting another year.

Re off cycles, I think they're less competitive than FT.

Yeah that was the plan, a sort of contingency and a chance to take a break before full time recruiting after I graduate and I think I can explore careers etc if things don’t go to plan.

Yeah to that point I was worried about them always asking the question what you did in the gap year why did you take it etc and taking a break isn’t that good to say maybe

Yeah it’s just the timing and feeling a bit unprepared and not in the best mindset after the first BB internship experience is making me approach the process with a bit of hesitation, hence why I’ve been so slow to apply. I think the another year is just to feel more ready and motivated in applying as they can probably sense it.

I see, do you know if you have to be a recent grad, if I do get a job in another field and move careers after
Original post by xidona
I see, do you know if you have to be a recent grad, if I do get a job in another field and move careers after

For off cycles? Not sure if you can take them if you have FT job experience.
Most grad schemes have a 2YOE eligibility cutoff. But idk about off cycles.
Reply 10
Ah okay so would it be worth still be a student when applying, as if I take a year break after graduation it would be harder to break it and I’d be closer to cutoff for 2 year eligibility
Reply 11
Original post by xidona
Ah okay so would it be worth still be a student when applying, as if I take a year break after graduation it would be harder to break it and I’d be closer to cutoff for 2 year eligibility

Very interesting fact
Reply 12
Original post by Knothat
Very interesting fact

Is that a yes haha?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending