The Student Room Group

Am I doing the wrong A-Levels?

I'm currently studying Physics, Maths and Geography for A-Level (yr12) and just wondered whether I've chosen the wrong subjects. I enjoy these subjects and wouldn't turn down a future linked to any of these but I didn't know if they can actually lead anywhere. I know Maths and Physics are good foundations but is Geography any good?

It's too late for me to change but was hoping some reinsurance that these subjects won't bring me down.
Original post by Woody21
I'm currently studying Physics, Maths and Geography for A-Level (yr12) and just wondered whether I've chosen the wrong subjects. I enjoy these subjects and wouldn't turn down a future linked to any of these but I didn't know if they can actually lead anywhere. I know Maths and Physics are good foundations but is Geography any good?

It's too late for me to change but was hoping some reinsurance that these subjects won't bring me down.

What might you study at uni?
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
What might you study at uni?

I'm not 100% sure. I originally wanted to study some form of engineering more than likely aviation or architecture but I've recently took an interest in the tectonics side of Geography but living in England this might not be the best career choice, so probably an engineering based subject.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Woody21
I'm not 100% sure. I originally wanted to study some form of engineering more than likely aviation or architecture but I've recently took an interest in the tectonics side of Geography but living in England this might not be the best career choice, so probably an engineering based subject.

Well for engineering Physics and Maths are the crucial two A levels - Geography as a 3rd is fine.
Geography is actually a very useful A level as it coves both science and social science - and it covers such a range of topics it can take you in many different degree directions. Environmental Science, Geology, Climate Studies, Urban Studies, Planning, International Development, Anthropology, 'Area Studies' (pick a geographic area...), there are so many relevant degrees.
Reply 5
If you wanna do engineering FM might be better than geography but if not I'm sure geography is fine as a third
Original post by Cs115
If you wanna do engineering FM might be better than geography but if not I'm sure geography is fine as a third

You don't need FMaths at most unis - I teach Maths :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79
You don't need FMaths at most unis - I teach Maths :smile:

yeah but its probably useful for engineering anyway right?
Original post by Cs115

It is, but his school might not offer it and it also depends on what unis he’s planning on applying to.
Original post by Cs115

No, if it's not required then the uni teach any content needed - there's lost of FM that isn't relevant to Engineering.
Original post by Anonymous(
It is, but his school might not offer it and it also depends on what unis he’s planning on applying to.

All schools in the UK can offer FMaths :smile:
For architecture you need a strong portfolio, so Art or Design & Technology A levels, or both. Not maths nor physics.

Quick Reply

Latest