The Student Room Group

3 HOUR wait in between lectures?!

I’m starting year 2 of my university marketing degree soon. I have seen the timetable, and there is one lecture from 9-12 pm and then a 3 HOUR waiting period until the following lecture. As someone with severe social anxiety, I don’t want to wait for 3 hours, and I don’t study well with people around me, and I would be so bored sitting in a library. It seems like terrible timetable planning. Do you have any recommendations about what I can do about this or..?

Scroll to see replies

Go back to your flat and have lunch? That's what I always did in my first year as I lived really close by to where most of my lectures took place, so I could usually get back, have lunch, and laze around for a bit before needing to hop off to the next lecture.
Pub? That is what I used to do.
Original post by Anonymous
I’m starting year 2 of my university marketing degree soon. I have seen the timetable, and there is one lecture from 9-12 pm and then a 3 HOUR waiting period until the following lecture. As someone with severe social anxiety, I don’t want to wait for 3 hours, and I don’t study well with people around me, and I would be so bored sitting in a library. It seems like terrible timetable planning. Do you have any recommendations about what I can do about this or..?

This is normal, you’ll have to learn to live with it.
Do your coursework. I'm sure there will be plenty if the degree you are doing is worth the money you're paying for it.

If u don't live far from ur house/accommodation go to sleep for a few hours :smile:
I can still remember my timetable one year which included one lecture between 9-10, and then nothing at all until another one at 4pm Good times.
Reply 7
Original post by JustACoincidence
Go back to your flat and have lunch? That's what I always did in my first year as I lived really close by to where most of my lectures took place, so I could usually get back, have lunch, and laze around for a bit before needing to hop off to the next lecture.

I live about 1.5 hour away. Not worth going back home
I live about 1.5 hour away. Not worth going back home

Maybe go out to eat
Reply 9
Original post by NonIndigenous
Do your coursework. I'm sure there will be plenty if the degree you are doing is worth the money you're paying for it.

The degree is a lot of money which is part of the reason why neither I nor any of the other students on this course should have to wait 3 hours…

And as I said, I don’t work well studying on campus. I work better at home.
The degree is a lot of money which is part of the reason why neither I nor any of the other students on this course should have to wait 3 hours…

:laugh:
Their not making you wait, that is when they deliver the course.

Perhaps you should withdraw if you can’t live with this (or find a way to use the time productively).

The level of entitlement is astounding.

Don’t watch lectures live. Most unis record lectures so on days you have a big gap then just wait and watch the recordings

You need to learn that the world does not revolve around you.
If you have a diagnosis of severe anxiety and a letter from a medical professional as evidence then you could speak to your university and see if they can do anything to help - they may be able to change your timetable or could offer somewhere you could wait during the gap rather than a busy library (maybe let you use a spare teaching room)

As others have said, having gaps in your timetable is very normal for university. It's incredibly challenging for them to timetable everyone in without any clashes etc. so to give everyone their ideal timetable would be impossible. As annoying as it is having gaps, early mornings etc., it's not the end of the world - but having said that, if the problem is more serious then I'm sure your university could do something to help.

(For context, I had a similar issue this year where I was meant to spend a whole day on campus between classes but at the time had such severe anxiety I was having intrusive thoughts and panic attacks and couldn't use public transport etc., and when I explained this to them they were very understanding and managed to change it for me)

There may be lectures for a module you aren't doing within that 3 hour period, so the 3pm lecture is scheduled to prevent clashes either for students or teaching staff. I had a 5 hour gap on campus during my MA, and unfortunately it's something you have to deal with. Speak to your department/uni and ask if there are any private spaces you could use/book for studying during that period.
When I had long breaks at university I'd usually take myself off-campus and wander around the city or treat myself to a nice lunch.
Reply 16
Original post by DiddyDec
Pub? That is what I used to do.

SPOONS
Reply 17
I had one semester where I was in 9-10 then 4-5... On a FRIDAY ffs
Are you receiving help for your social anxiety?
Original post by mnot
:laugh:
Their not making you wait, that is when they deliver the course.

Perhaps you should withdraw if you can’t live with this (or find a way to use the time productively).

The level of entitlement is astounding.

When you pay £9,500 a year for a course I think you are entitled to not wait around for 3 hours. I spoke with the module leader who created the timetable and when I asked him about he himself seemed embarrassed by it, so don’t come to me saying I’m entitled.

Latest