The Student Room Group

University of Birmingham A100 2022 entry

Scroll to see replies

i actually got 8.4
Reply 61
I think cut offs will be a bit under 7.5, but I would want that or more to be safe.
Bear in mind they use SJT for 25% of interview score, so you might not want to lose those marks?
Reply 62
Original post by Justamamma
Hope you don’t mind me hopping on this discussion! Do you think it’s safe to assume that B’ham UCAT score bands will be similar to last year’s? I’m a bit worried that given B’ham compute their own deciles based on their applicant pool (if I’ve understood correctly) that this could be a bit of a moveable feast. My daughter would have been in their 9th decile last year, and so her score would have been over the 7.5 mark (she’s non contextual). That would change though if she were to drop into the 8th decile this year, and I’m not sure how to assess this based on, for example, the interim deciles that were released yesterday.

Welcome on board!
Yes, Birmingham use their own deciles, which are genrally higher than the official ones, as they have more high-scoring applicants, but I would suspeect they would be similar to last year. It can increase the risk if you sit right on the bottom of a decile, though
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 63
As which bit??
If you mean use SJT, no, they don't.
They add achieved A levels to GCSE for 2/3 of interview score with UCAT for the rest, and may well carry that forward for post-interview scoring, too, but the interview itself is just MMI (or whatever online alternative they may be pushed into this year)
Reply 64
The calculator had historically massively over-estimated chances of an interview, but I have not played around with it this year, to see how it is calibrated.
Have appraisal coming up and drowning in mandatory e-learning :frown:
Reply 65
Aston would be a good choice for you, I think - usually has a high interview to offer ratio and you have excellent stats :smile:
Reply 66
You have to slay those interviews this year! You will make a fab Dr :smile:
Original post by GANFYD
Welcome on board!
Yes, Birmingham use their own deciles, which are genrally higher than the official ones, as they have more high-scoring applicants, but I would suspeect they would be similar to last year. It can increase the risk if you sit right on the bottom of a decile, though

Thank you, good to be here!
So my next questions is, what constitutes bottom of a decile?! My daughter has a UCAT of 2810 and B’ham 9th decile last year was 2790 - 2900. I’m worried it could go either way and if she ends up in the 8th then it’ll have been a wasted choice.
She would like to pick one of B’ham or Notts, where she’s scoring 132, and it’s not proving easy! She has band 1 situational judgement
Again, your words of wisdom are v much appreciated.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 68
Original post by Justamamma
Thank you, good to be here!
So my next questions is, what constitutes bottom of a decile?! My daughter has a UCAT of 2810 and B’ham 9th decile last year was 2790 - 2900. I’m worried it could go either way and if she ends up in the 8th then it’ll have been a wasted choice.
She would like to pick one of B’ham or Notts, where she’s scoring 132, and it’s not proving easy! She has band 1 situational judgement
Again, your words of wisdom are v much appreciated.

It is hard to be sure, but there has not been a lot of movement on Birmingham deciles between years, generally, and 20 points would be quite a lot.
I would also have hoped 132 will be safe for Nottingham, so she should choose the one she likes best, where there is no clear pointer one way or the other.
Original post by GANFYD
It is hard to be sure, but there has not been a lot of movement on Birmingham deciles between years, generally, and 20 points would be quite a lot.
I would also have hoped 132 will be safe for Nottingham, so she should choose the one she likes best, where there is no clear pointer one way or the other.

Thanks so much. I really appreciate the advice.
Where is the best place to park near the campus?
do you need to be in both the school list and polar 3 to be classed as contextual or just one
Hi guys, this is a general question which I would really like an honest answer to.

If I didn’t get all 9s at GCSE and have a few 7s and 8s and one 6, do you think I would have a chance of getting into UoB for medicine?

Please do reply thank you!
Reply 73
Original post by taxonomy.
do you need to be in both the school list and polar 3 to be classed as contextual or just one

You need to be on the school list, your Polar quintile just decides how many points you get
Reply 74
Original post by Ambiguous Super
Hi guys, this is a general question which I would really like an honest answer to.

If I didn’t get all 9s at GCSE and have a few 7s and 8s and one 6, do you think I would have a chance of getting into UoB for medicine?

Please do reply thank you!

Birmingham score 5 core GCSEs and two extra. Depending on your contextual points, and UCAT, you can possibly drop a grade on one or two of these
Original post by GANFYD
Birmingham score 5 core GCSEs and two extra. Depending on your contextual points, and UCAT, you can possibly drop a grade on one or two of these

Thanks for letting me know, Hope I get in!!!
Original post by Ambiguous Super
Thanks for letting me know, Hope I get in!!!

Sorry wanted to add something else, not sure if im allowed to ask but I think I should, what gcses do i required to apply for the A2B scheme?
I dont really understand the point system - how many would I have with these results?

GCSEs 9999999997 (the 7 is in economics)
UCAT 2760 B1
Reply 78
Hi :smile:
I’ve just seen that University of Birmingham has raised their entry requirements for medicine to A*AA. Should we be worried about this? Also will other medical schools follow along and raise their entry requirements?
Original post by TSR_145
Hi :smile:
I’ve just seen that University of Birmingham has raised their entry requirements for medicine to A*AA. Should we be worried about this? Also will other medical schools follow along and raise their entry requirements?

i dont think anyone needs to worry, just dont apply if you are unlikely to meet the offer. and i dont think other schools will necessarily follow

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending