The Student Room Group

Anglia Ruskin University A100 2022 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by A_02
Hi all, would a UCAT score of 2490 and a Band 3 be ok to apply to ARU or would it be too risky?

It should be fine, or we are all doomed!
Original post by A_02
Hi all, would a UCAT score of 2490 and a Band 3 be ok to apply to ARU or would it be too risky?

Honestly, I've just gone for it. They haven't given us much info to work with
Reply 82
Original post by KA_P
Honestly, I've just gone for it. They haven't given us much info to work with

What do you mean they haven’t given much info to work with? What info are you trying to find?😂
Original post by RA:)
What do you mean they haven’t given much info to work with? What info are you trying to find?😂

The band 3 🥲, I looked on their FOIs and last year's thread, but couldn't find anything about ppl with band 3 getting interviews or offers, only band 1 or 2 is what I saw, since most ppl were only mentioning their total UCAT score without sjt band and the only time they mentioned it was when they got band 1 or 2
Reply 84
Does anyone know what the UCAT cut-off mark is for ARU? Im kind of stuck with applying to universities my score is 2370 and Band 2. My A levels and GCSEs meet the requirements. Its just my UCAT :/
Reply 85
Hi, I am thinking of applying to Anglia Ruskin but am concerned because I do not live in the East areas that ARU prefers. Does anyone know what weight ARU give to those who live in it's designated areas ? How much disadvantage am I at if I live in a different area ? I have 3 A*s at A level and UCAT 2860.
Original post by EmmaGem
Hi, I am thinking of applying to Anglia Ruskin but am concerned because I do not live in the East areas that ARU prefers. Does anyone know what weight ARU give to those who live in it's designated areas ? How much disadvantage am I at if I live in a different area ? I have 3 A*s at A level and UCAT 2860.

If I remember correctly, the only advantage of being from those designated areas was a slightly lower UCAT cutoff for interview (2390 for those designated areas vs 2430 for the rest). Hopefully we should be fine!
Reply 87
Original post by Coolkingz
If I remember correctly, the only advantage of being from those designated areas was a slightly lower UCAT cutoff for interview (2390 for those designated areas vs 2430 for the rest). Hopefully we should be fine!

Thank you. I have read the course outline on the ARU website. I find these difficult to interpret if it is not set out in plain x hours of lecture, y hours of practical with z hours in hospital each week/term. Does anyone have more info about the ARU course than it gives on it's website. ? Hope this is not too daft a question.
Original post by EmmaGem
Thank you. I have read the course outline on the ARU website. I find these difficult to interpret if it is not set out in plain x hours of lecture, y hours of practical with z hours in hospital each week/term. Does anyone have more info about the ARU course than it gives on it's website. ? Hope this is not too daft a question.

@RA [s]smile[/s] might be able to help!
Reply 89
Original post by Sooni4
Does anyone know what the UCAT cut-off mark is for ARU? Im kind of stuck with applying to universities my score is 2370 and Band 2. My A levels and GCSEs meet the requirements. Its just my UCAT :/

2430 for last year, or 2390 if local
Reply 90
Original post by KA_P
The band 3 🥲, I looked on their FOIs and last year's thread, but couldn't find anything about ppl with band 3 getting interviews or offers, only band 1 or 2 is what I saw, since most ppl were only mentioning their total UCAT score without sjt band and the only time they mentioned it was when they got band 1 or 2

Pretty sure they except bands 1-3 and do not use this in any way during the selection process apart from making sure you don’t have band 4. Email to double check if you can’t find anything on their website :smile:
Reply 91
Original post by EmmaGem

I mean, I don’t think any uni is going to have a full timetable on their website as they’re never confirmed until last minute? This week I had 19 lectures, they’re supposed to be 45 minutes long (lecturers tend to go over) and we were given a lot of SML (student managed learning… so basically independent study) as it was our first week. Next week I have the whole of Monday in person and 16 lectures, so pretty much full 9-4 days. All being well second semester is supposed to be fully in person. I can’t give an amount of time spent doing ‘practicals’ as there are still covid regulations in place so we only have official sessions in the med school one day a week until January. We start placement in November (so pretty early compared to other medical schools) and at the end of the year I’m pretty sure we have like a 3 week block placement in a hospital. If you have the chance, go to the open day’s as you have the chance to ask these sorts of specific questions… if not, emailing the med admissions is always a good shout :smile:
Original post by RA:)
Pretty sure they except bands 1-3 and do not use this in any way during the selection process apart from making sure you don’t have band 4. Email to double check if you can’t find anything on their website :smile:

Okay thank you :smile:)
Original post by EmmaGem

Before Covid for years 1-3 lectures 9-12pm Mon- Friday. 1-4pm Mon, Tues, Thurs, Friday practical eg histology labs, anatomy dissection, clinical skills, going to the hospital after the first block from November onwards. Wednesday afternoons are off for all years for sports and extra curricular activities of your choosing. Placement wise: You go to the GP once a month for a full day from November onwards and an afternoon each week at a hospital. In the third trimester you have a 4-6 week block in years 1 and 2 all day at the hospital. Year 3 you have 8 weeks after your exams over with, roughly start placement end of April. Years and 5 you are full time rotating around different specialities in the hospital or in the community.

Hope this helps.
Hi!! I am a gap year student applying for the 2nd time. Do you think I have a shot at getting an interview from ARU?

GCSE : 4 9s, 4 8s, 7, 6, 1 A*

A levels (Achieved) :

Biology - A*
Chemistry - A*
Maths- A*
Further maths- A

UCAT Score :

VR - 610
DM - 660
QR - 740
AR - 800
Total - 2810 SJT - Band 2

Work experience :
-1 week haematology placement
-2 years volunteering with children with disabilities
-telephone befriender
-chemo ward volunteer
-charity shop volunteer
-maths tutor

Nothing contextual.

Thanks in advance!!! :smile:
Original post by A_02

Hey may I ask where you applied because I’ve got a band 3 too and want to know the best unis to apply to with this score. Thanks!
Hi guys, here is my info:
GCSEs and grade breakdown : 99999888A*7A (9s in bio chem maths business and french, 8s in English lit, geography physics, 7 in English language, A* in further maths and A in statistics)
A level achieved: AAA (bio chem maths)
UCAT: 690 avg (2760)
SJT band : 3
Brief mention of work experience : Brighton and Sussex, observe gp, ongoing clinical experience as hca
I meet WP criteria: low household income, bursary student etc.

Is ARU a reasonable choice, or will my band 3 put me at a disadvantage?
Reply 97
Original post by KA_P
I found this FOI request from last year's thread if anyone wants.

is the cut off for 2370 for the ucat for WAMS applicants?
you know if you apply for WAMS, do you get it? if that makes sense, as in do they pick and choose or everyone who applies with evidence etc is eligible
Reply 99
Hi Submit reply

, would appreciate some advice on whether I'm likely to get an interview as I live in Reading so wouldn't get additional points for living in Essex, I am worried about this..
UCAT: 2780 B2
A levels predicted : A*A*A
GCSEs: Eng lang :7 8: eng lit, physics, maths, drama 9: french, economics, geography, biology, chemistry,r.e.
Thank you !:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest