The Student Room Group

who knows you more?

do you think your parents know you or your friends or yourself? who do you think defines who you are?

Scroll to see replies

Well of course people know themselves more than other people know them
Reply 2
but then why do parents claim that they know us and make us think that what they say of us is who we are,making us question our entire personality even tho its all lies
Original post by Anonymous
but then why do parents claim that they know us and make us think that what they say of us is who we are,making us question our entire personality even tho its all lies

It’s how they assert dominance.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by 0ptics
It’s how they assert dominance.

its really sad tbh
my parents claim they know me well but i disagree
(edited 2 years ago)

Because they most probs do they literally build u into who u are from a young age
In my experience, my parents did not know me at all. Of course, they thought they did and would always try to project onto me, but I know myself well and knew they were always wrong about that.
Reply 8
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
my parents claim they know me well but i disagree

same here!!! and when they tell me what they think about me,I'm like no no no
Reply 9
Original post by the_pharaoh
Because they most probs do they literally build u into who u are from a young age

i respectfully disagree
Original post by sunshine774
In my experience, my parents did not know me at all. Of course, they thought they did and would always try to project onto me, but I know myself well and knew they were always wrong about that.

thats amazing broo,but what do you know when they try too hard to prove that they know you,like they do too much just to prove but it never works,how do you react to that
I know myself best.

Answers will vary a lot between people.
Depending on the specific individuals and how perceptive & in tune with reality they are.
Personality, self-awareness levels, prone to anger/wishful thinking/projection, ability to recognise unpleasant truths, the family dynamic, how close friendship is and how much time is spent together- all of these will play a role.
My mother. I've spent the most time with her.
Me, myself and I
No-one really, not even myself, I live very much like a ghost, just living, without interaction or memory

It'd be nice if I paid attention to myself ad could share my experiences with someone but I don't have anyone or enough mental clarity
Original post by Moonlight Rain
Well of course people know themselves more than other people know them

Not necessarily true. Otherwise why do some people bother seeing therapists.
Original post by NonIndigenous
Not necessarily true. Otherwise why do some people bother seeing therapists.

To get better??? It doesn't mean a therapist knows them more than they know themselves
To get better??? It doesn't mean a therapist knows them more than they know themselves

Just pretend that he gave a cogent argument to avoid this thread getting derailed.

Depends on the type of therapy. It can involve exploring the person's motives behind their behaviors. Subconscious motives.

What is subconscious... is not 'known' to that individual. Hence another person with a different perspective and experience in dealing with stuff like this comes in handy.
thats amazing broo,but what do you know when they try too hard to prove that they know you,like they do too much just to prove but it never works,how do you react to that

Realise it is nothing personal, they are just insecure and/or trying to control you. You know yourself best so just learn to not react. The more you react, the more power you are giving the situation.

Quick Reply

Latest