The Student Room Group

I am gonna give up!

I cant lie it is much easier to give up. I am doing A level maths and am yr 13. I have an exam next week friday that will be used as UCAS predicted grades. Hardly know any of the AS content and even some of the basic GCSE stuff. I am procrastinating and lazy as I realised it is just so hard. I have what some people calls "brain fog". I feel like I am always the most clueless and out of focused person in the classroom and asking simple questions in front of a room full of A*/A students makes me feel embrassed. I might as well give up with doing well and even attempting to go Uni.
Bruh, with all due respects, please go revise.
Original post by cleveranimal56
Bruh, with all due respects, please go revise.

I am too stupid my guy. I dont know how to or where to even start. Giving up seems like the only good option unless you are gonna ask me to cheat or something.
Original post by GST1_m4n543
I am too stupid my guy. I dont know how to or where to even start. Giving up seems like the only good option unless you are gonna ask me to cheat or something.

learn to revise and use your actual achieved grades to apply to uni either through clearing or take a gap year and apply normally. No one's too "stupid", they probably just lack motivation and good revision techniques (e.g. anki. spaced repetition etc.). Dw i was in the exact same position as you before and got like DDDD for my predicted and eventually ended up having A*AAB
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by effertiti
learn to revise and use your actual achieved grades to apply to uni either through clearing or take a gap year and apply normally. No one's too "stupid", they probably just lack motivation and good revision techniques (e.g. anki. spaced repetition etc.). Dw i was in the exact same position as you before and got like DDDD for my predicted and eventually ended up having A*AAB

what subjects did you end up doing? PM me please to discuss further how you end up achieving it. I do A level Biology - Edexcel A SNAB, A level Chemistry - OCR A and A level Maths Edexcel. I intially chose those subjects because I thought I wanted to do medicine but didnt end up pursuing as my end of year 12 grades were poor (maths I flopped quite bad). I was told from July about my September mocks. I thought I was gonna revise/study over the summer but didnt end up doing it mainly because (i think this might be an excuse) I kept stressing, worrying and panicking and felt stupid and overwhelmed. I dont even know how to revise properly to the point I kept asking the smart people in my class what they do and they said they do the same thing as me which I definitely can confirm is a lie because one no person would ever want another person to succeed or do better than them and two if we are doing the same thing why am I getting Es, Ds whilst the other is getting As and A*s. I dont even know what I want to do for uni and if I can even apply as my predicted are riding on the grades I get for these mocks. Havent even done a personal statement. I am an absolute shambles of a person. Too slow, too unorganized and too unproductive and lazy to do anything any more
what subjects did you end up doing? PM me please to discuss further how you end up achieving it.

oof I was planning on applying to Medicine too, rn i started my 2nd gap year bc of family and money issues (might take a 3rd gap year if I do crap in my UCAT) :/ I did A level Biology (OCR A), Maths, Chem (AQA). I have average gcses.. like I had no 8's or 9's but they're all passes. There's like 4 medical schools that I know of that accept C/4 GCSE passes which are Plymouth, Newcastle and Anglia Ruskin (Southampton only accepts C/4 passes ONLY if you're a mature non-graduate student, so 21 yos and never went to uni rlly) and they all require either A*AA/AAA A-levels (so make sure to check out their sites).

I actually retook 2 A-levels bc the TAG (thnx to Covid) they gave me wasn't good enough for Uni so I retook my DD subjects and increased them to AA from october 2020 to the exam date in 2021.
My top tips:
* Don't do what I did and study 8 hours every day because you'll burn out and you end up performing badly.
* I made anki flashcards over ALL the topics in my syllabus (i already did this everytime we did a lesson) but u can find pre-made ones on the anki sites
* I revised anki everyday (it had built in space-repetition which is based on the forgetting curve, sometimes u need to alter this bc relapse date is sometimes too quick. Watch tutorials on anki, they're a life saver fr) and did mock papers for that specific topic (on physicsandmathstutor) after I felt I learned all the topics. Anki is specifically helpful for Biology bc you need to remember LOADS of information.
* A-level chem was the only thing I actually liked and performed good on. I also used anki to remember formulas, shapes, names of things, reactions, equations etc. I used chemrevise notes and read through it and made some of it into anki flashcards then did loads of past paper questions on the PAMT website. If I was stuck on a question I'd just read through the chemrevise notes or I'd just look at the PPQs. Chemistry is relatively easy, its questions repeat more occasionally than biology and are mostly even worded exactly the same way as previous older PPQs which is enjoyable.
* Same of A-level maths, just remember the equations and techniques. Do 1 or 2 maths paper every week and do topic PPQs from PAMT for the topics you performed badly on. Fun thing abt maths is that you can get like 50/60% right (or even less if i can remember) and you can still get an A.

Honestly, Good luck. If you still want to do medicine and if you do badly on A-levels there are still loads of pathways to medicine. You can even take a gap year and retake until you get the grades you want. I think other youtubers like Unjaded jade got like Ds and Cs on their first mocks and managed to increase their scores to A's in their AS levels. Watch these types of study youtubers, they'll probably give better advice than me. Good luck though xx
(edited 2 years ago)
I cant lie it is much easier to give up. I am doing A level maths and am yr 13. I have an exam next week friday that will be used as UCAS predicted grades. Hardly know any of the AS content and even some of the basic GCSE stuff. I am procrastinating and lazy as I realised it is just so hard. I have what some people calls "brain fog". I feel like I am always the most clueless and out of focused person in the classroom and asking simple questions in front of a room full of A*/A students makes me feel embrassed. I might as well give up with doing well and even attempting to go Uni.

Please don't don't don't give up! I just finished secondary school and I am now currently in gap year. I was in the exact same position as you! Covid-19 made it even worse for me during lockdown. I procastinated in practicing some maths questions. I was like one of the most quiet people in math class with most people getting As, A*s and B's. I was basically the only one getting D's sometimes or even no grade. This was at the beginning of year 13 in 2020 when there were multiple lockdowns. Maths is a compulsary subject for Computer Science so you could imagine how much stress I was going through. Luckily I did not need As and A*s to get in to uni because that would be impossible. My predicted was a B and I finally got my first and last ever B in my last assessment for teacher assessed grades. If I did not get that grade, I probably would have got a D instead of a C in my A-level results. This was from soley focusing on maths practice questions in the last 2 or 3 months because I procastinated the final months of year 12 and early months of year 13. Please do not give up! You will deeply regret (I took maths not because I wanted to but I needed to so that was not great but there was no turning back).

For now, since you only have a week left, focus on the areas that you know for definite you suck at. That's what I did for my glorious midnight week cram (do not do it, it's not good). That will be a good start!

OMG I CAN RELATE

This was me last year! Surrounded by people that are so much more intelligent than you - you feel like an imposter. Honestly, you just need to buckle down. I got into the mindset of its now or never, you get 1 shot and make it count. Corona really ****ed me up academically, I had a lot going on at home and I was unable to do well in year 12 due to home life during lockdown 1 and 2. Just know it’s out of your control and there is nothing you can do!

Maths is all about practice. It’s probably the only subject where u the amount of work you put in will be directly proportional to the result you get. There is no excuse for maths not to do well unless you haven’t revised. I learnt this the hard way by having my prediction increased because my maths teacher taught me through GCSE and she knew I’m a very late bloomer.
Reply 8

If you don't think exams or university is for you then that's fine, they aren't everything

Quick Reply

Latest