The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

EISPS at UCL - Asking current students for tips about applying.

Hi I'm looking to apply to EISPS at UCL- not sure which of Euro./Int. (potentially applying to both) and I'm looking for some advice on how to best present myself to get through what is a highly competitive admissions process.

On the UCL June 2021 Virtual Open Day recordings, the admissions tutor for the courses said that many exceed the standard offer of A*AA in their predicted grades. I am wondering if my predicted grades of A*AA will put me at some kind of detriment given the process is so competitive? And if so what do I need to make up for this?

My personal statement focuses heavily on Politics/Int. Rel. and French (intended major language). I need to tailor my personal statement to other courses I'll apply to which are more exclusively Politics & French rather than the broader humanities focus of EISPS. Is this an issue or shall I not worry?

I'd really like to speak to other people applying to EISPS and see what their thoughts are about how we can better our applications? I want this really badly and I have an awful feeling it's not going to go the way I'd like, so any help is more than wanted.

:smile:
Hi, I am also planning to apply for ESPS with German. I haven't mentioned the language at all in my personal statement, but I am an Oxford PPE applicant so I have done loads of TSA practice.

I don't know how important grades are once you meet the offer - I guess it wouldn't be a huge detriment, just something that they see as part of lots of other factors.

What/where else are you applying?:smile:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I am also planning to apply for ESPS with German. I haven't mentioned the language at all in my personal statement, but I am an Oxford PPE applicant so I have done loads of TSA practice.

I don't know how important grades are once you meet the offer - I guess it wouldn't be a huge detriment, just something that they see as part of lots of other factors.

What/where else are you applying?:smile:

Hi,

I forgot to mention that I also do EPQ in a geopolitical issue which I'm predicted A* in, so surely this will be a help?

I'm not 100% sure yet where I'm applying to, but as Oxbridge is a not for me, I will have far more time than you. 99% sure of St. Andrews Int. Rel. & French joint honours, Manchester Politics & French, and obviously UCL EISPS. However, I'm really quite desperate for UCL EISPS as I would honestly say it's the only one I'm truly wanting to do.

What would you say is good for TSA practice? I'm trying to see if I can join a TSA practice group at my college that mainly focuses on those doing PPE at Ox etc., but given that the only difference is the fact UCL don't have the essay section of the TSA I don't see why I couldn't join.
Original post by newwhl
Hi,

I forgot to mention that I also do EPQ in a geopolitical issue which I'm predicted A* in, so surely this will be a help?

I'm not 100% sure yet where I'm applying to, but as Oxbridge is a not for me, I will have far more time than you. 99% sure of St. Andrews Int. Rel. & French joint honours, Manchester Politics & French, and obviously UCL EISPS. However, I'm really quite desperate for UCL EISPS as I would honestly say it's the only one I'm truly wanting to do.

What would you say is good for TSA practice? I'm trying to see if I can join a TSA practice group at my college that mainly focuses on those doing PPE at Ox etc., but given that the only difference is the fact UCL don't have the essay section of the TSA I don't see why I couldn't join.

Join if you can because it can’t hurt (also many Ox courses also don’t do part 2 anyway). I think you should practice all the Ox past papers, and read the pdf on how to do the questions on the tsa website (might be on the ox tsa page but still applies). Know the types of critical thinking questions inside out.

St. Andrews does seem like such a lovely place - would recommend finding things you would love about a few places, especially after the reality of potential oxbridge rejection hit me, it has been very helpful to know I have other courses like esps with unique things I wouldn’t get elsewhere.

I’m sure with the grades you won’t be at a big detriment at all - they use the TSA precisely so they don’t have to use the criteria of multiple A* to differentiate.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Join if you can because it can’t hurt (also many Ox courses also don’t do part 2 anyway). I think you should practice all the Ox past papers, and read the pdf on how to do the questions on the tsa website (might be on the ox tsa page but still applies). Know the types of critical thinking questions inside out.

St. Andrews does seem like such a lovely place - would recommend finding things you would love about a few places, especially after the reality of potential oxbridge rejection hit me, it has been very helpful to know I have other courses like esps with unique things I wouldn’t get elsewhere.

I’m sure with the grades you won’t be at a big detriment at all - they use the TSA precisely so they don’t have to use the criteria of multiple A* to differentiate.

I need to know the TSA inside out indeed- I'm guessing you get 2 runs at it?. As all the Ox lot will be taking in November(?) I will use the prep sessions to get a feel for it and then I suppose I will have to get on myself.

Good luck and feel free to message me :smile:
Reply 5
Is the TSA most likely 100% in January? I've been looking at the past papers and they all say early November. Is this just for Oxford? I'm stressing quite a lot about this as there is an issue with my second choice university so I can't submit my application yet and I'm wondering how I'm supposed to be registered to take the admissions test in time if it's in November. Also has anyone gotten through to the admissions department either via email or on the phone? I've tried several times and nothing :frown:
Yes definitely - there is one round in January for those who apply earlier, and another in March. November is Oxford.
Reply 7
Original post by DeBeauvoir2
Yes definitely - there is one round in January for those who apply earlier, and another in March. November is Oxford.

Thank you so much! Now if only they would answer my phone calls .....
Original post by newwhl
Hi,

Ik I'm a bit late to this but from what I've heard I wouldn't worry about the breadth of the degree to much. My personal statement was quite politics focused but I tailored it to be a bit euro-centric, I only really briefly mentioned language but talking to students there its quite common to not really put it in. In terms of TSA, whatever you can do to prepare is great but it seems PS is the big kicker for them mostly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending