The Student Room Group

SQE1 exams Nov 2021

Is anyone taking the SQE1 exams in November? If so I thought perhaps a support thread may be helpful.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, I am. How are you finding the preparation?
Reply 2
Original post by Alenamai
Yes, I am. How are you finding the preparation?

I’m finding it tough going so far. The materials are very detailed and I imagine most of it will not be needed to answer the MCQs. How about you?
Reply 3
Hi,

I’m also sitting the assessment in November. I have chosen to self study, The UoL materials are detailed and the summary section is helpful however I do feel that I haven’t allowed myself enough time to cover all the materials extensively.

Did either of you decide to do a course?
Reply 4
I went for the QLTS materials. I agree that it feels like more time would be useful. I have read through all the materials now and have nearly finished my condensed notes but I will take annual leave before the Nov exams to crap some revision in too. These exams are challenging that’s for sure.
Reply 5
Evening,

I chose the Barbri 40 week SQE 1 course and they have been fabulous. It has been quite rigorous but overall I feel quietly confident that I will do OK. I just wish there was a bit more information about what the pass mark is likely to be as online it states between 55-60% but that has not been updated for a long time and the Kaplan website is quite vague about it. I just like knowing what I have to aim for. Did a practice test tonight on FLK2 and got 74% which I think is OK seeing at there is another month to go. It has definitely been more challenging than I was expecting though - especially tax law - I mean what is that all about? I think you have to be a special type of someone to like tax law.

I now need to start thinking about the 2 years of QWE element. I am a bit concerned though that post Covid there will be more practices switching to flexible working and working from home and it may make the qualifying experience even harder than it was.
Reply 6
Barbri look good and well done on your practice test. I’m finding solicitor accounts tough going mainly because I have no interest in any kind of book keeping :smile:.
It’s strange with the pass mark isn’t it - life would be easier if it was a straight 50% and that’s it but the variable pass mark is hard to figure out. Have a look at this breakdown on the Kaplan website for previous years of the MCTs for qualified lawyers - https://qlts.kaplan.co.uk/results

I think the QWE is a bit of minefield for those looking to gain the 2 years experience but hopefully something will crop up for you.
Evening,

I chose the Barbri 40 week SQE 1 course and they have been fabulous. It has been quite rigorous but overall I feel quietly confident that I will do OK. I just wish there was a bit more information about what the pass mark is likely to be as online it states between 55-60% but that has not been updated for a long time and the Kaplan website is quite vague about it. I just like knowing what I have to aim for. Did a practice test tonight on FLK2 and got 74% which I think is OK seeing at there is another month to go. It has definitely been more challenging than I was expecting though - especially tax law - I mean what is that all about? I think you have to be a special type of someone to like tax law.

I now need to start thinking about the 2 years of QWE element. I am a bit concerned though that post Covid there will be more practices switching to flexible working and working from home and it may make the qualifying experience even harder than it was.

Hey, do you have an email for BARBRI? I’ve tried contacted them via email and telephone but no luck.
Reply 8
Original post by euphrosyne
Hey, do you have an email for BARBRI? I’ve tried contacted them via email and telephone but no luck.

Try [email protected]. They are really good and get back to you. Highly recommend them as a provider.
Reply 9
Original post by Negan1
Barbri look good and well done on your practice test. I’m finding solicitor accounts tough going mainly because I have no interest in any kind of book keeping :smile:.
It’s strange with the pass mark isn’t it - life would be easier if it was a straight 50% and that’s it but the variable pass mark is hard to figure out. Have a look at this breakdown on the Kaplan website for previous years of the MCTs for qualified lawyers - https://qlts.kaplan.co.uk/results

I think the QWE is a bit of minefield for those looking to gain the 2 years experience but hopefully something will crop up for you.

Thats a great link, I hadn't seen that - thank you so much.
I know what you mean re. Solicitor's Accounts, I am quite lucky that I have done the level 2 AAT Kaplan accountancy, otherwise I would have really struggled. Keep in mind it is the smallest section though, so I would not worry too much.
Try [email protected]. They are really good and get back to you. Highly recommend them as a provider.

I would love to go with them but I want to do my exam in the July 2022 sitting and they don’t seem to have courses in time for that! Unless I am able to just buy their materials and self study? I’m not sure how it works.
I would love to go with them but I want to do my exam in the July 2022 sitting and they don’t seem to have courses in time for that! Unless I am able to just buy their materials and self study? I’m not sure how it works.

I know they offer a 40 week (which is what I am doing) 20 and 10 week course. I think the shorter courses are designed for students with a law background. Best to contact them and see what they suggest but as a provider I rate them highly.
I know they offer a 40 week (which is what I am doing) 20 and 10 week course. I think the shorter courses are designed for students with a law background. Best to contact them and see what they suggest but as a provider I rate them highly.

But I wonder could I start the 20 week course for example in January? Cause it shows the start date in September!
Reply 13
But I wonder could I start the 20 week course for example in January? Cause it shows the start date in September!

It’s worth reaching out to them for advice to see what is suggested. I think it is self-study so there may be flexibility re start dates.
Original post by Negan1
It’s worth reaching out to them for advice to see what is suggested. I think it is self-study so there may be flexibility re start dates.

Thank you for your help! I will :smile:
Reply 15
Evening,

ULaw are advising between 45-55 percent (45 as a bore line pass) I know that have good connections with Kaplan and the writers of the SQE my old property law teacher in my undergrad at UOB was one of the writers of the SQE he used to work for ulaw
BPP's PGDL last year and this had a 50% pass mark and that course was/is partly set up to help people towards SQE1 who do not have a law degree so I expect about 50% might be the SQE1 pass mark but that is just a guess.
Thank you for your help! I will :smile:

Hey, I am in the same boat as you and was wondering if you have had any luck with an answer from Barbri? Thank you :smile:
Hi lawgirl2020,

This is from their website.

[email protected]

+44 (0) 2038550162

They are quite quick at getting back to you. Hope you get the answers you need.
Hi Negan1, how is the prep going? Are you feeling confident?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending