The Student Room Group

Primary school teaching degree

Hi everyone! Currently in year 12 studying English Lit, Geography and sociology. In the future I would love to be a primary school teacher preferably children aged 7 and 8 aha. Anyways I've been trying to search degrees and it's all very confusing. So I was thinking of doing an normal undergraduate degree ie in geography not sure yet! But after that obviously I'd have to do a teaching degree. So an undergraduate degree is normally a 3 year course for subjects like geo and I looked up primary Education degrees with a QTS which is another 3 year degree on top of that. This just seems a long time to be at uni. I swear there are 1 or 2 year teaching degrees which you can do after your undergraduate degree. However I don't just want to do a placement at the school I would also like to be studying at a uni with a placement at the same time. Any advice would be so great as it's so confusing trying to look on all these uni websites. And if anyone is studying or is a primary school teacher is it good etc just any tips really. I did used to want to be a lawyer but I never invisioned myself doing it whereas I love children and it's so rewarding teaching a youngish age. Anyways I was also interesting in when I was actually qualified as a teacher to work at an international school but if it's an English speaking school would I be required to learn the language of that country. I've always wanted to work in Spain. I did do Spanish for my gcses I know a bit but also if I lived and worked in Spain I may pick it up after a year or so. Aha so sorry for this long essay just really need some advice xx:smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Elz15
Hi everyone! Currently in year 12 studying English Lit, Geography and sociology. In the future I would love to be a primary school teacher preferably children aged 7 and 8 aha. Anyways I've been trying to search degrees and it's all very confusing. So I was thinking of doing an normal undergraduate degree ie in geography not sure yet! But after that obviously I'd have to do a teaching degree. So an undergraduate degree is normally a 3 year course for subjects like geo and I looked up primary Education degrees with a QTS which is another 3 year degree on top of that. This just seems a long time to be at uni. I swear there are 1 or 2 year teaching degrees which you can do after your undergraduate degree. However I don't just want to do a placement at the school I would also like to be studying at a uni with a placement at the same time. Any advice would be so great as it's so confusing trying to look on all these uni websites. And if anyone is studying or is a primary school teacher is it good etc just any tips really. I did used to want to be a lawyer but I never invisioned myself doing it whereas I love children and it's so rewarding teaching a youngish age. Anyways I was also interesting in when I was actually qualified as a teacher to work at an international school but if it's an English speaking school would I be required to learn the language of that country. I've always wanted to work in Spain. I did do Spanish for my gcses I know a bit but also if I lived and worked in Spain I may pick it up after a year or so. Aha so sorry for this long essay just really need some advice xx:smile:

Once you've got a degree you just need a PGCE with QTS which is a one year course
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Once you've got a degree you just need a PGCE with QTS which is a one year course

Thank you. Are you studying or are a teacher? And which universities offer this course because I type it into find university degrees and this degree never comes up
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Elz15
Thank you. Are you studying or are a teacher?

I'm a teacher - this is the most flexible route as you have a degree if you decide teaching is not for you.

Take a look here: https://www.ucas.com/postgraduate/teacher-training/train-teach-england/routes-teaching-england?filter=
Reply 4
I'm a teacher - this is the most flexible route as you have a degree if you decide teaching is not for you.

Take a look here: https://www.ucas.com/postgraduate/teacher-training/train-teach-england/routes-teaching-england?filter=

Thank you so much. Do you enjoy teaching and which age group?
Original post by Elz15
Thank you so much. Do you enjoy teaching and which age group?

I do and I teach Maths at secondary. However I do get to do a lot of outreach to Primaries and support teachers in other schools :smile:

Nothing better than when you see children making progress and seeing them grow from Year 7s to going off to university :smile:
Reply 6
I do and I teach Maths at secondary. However I do get to do a lot of outreach to Primaries and support teachers in other schools :smile:

Nothing better than when you see children making progress and seeing them grow from Year 7s to going off to university :smile:

Did you do ab undergraduate degree plus a postgraduate degree by any chance just interested in unis that offer the postgraduate degree for primary school teaching as there doesn't seem to be many unis that offer this x
Original post by Elz15
Did you do ab undergraduate degree plus a postgraduate degree by any chance just interested in unis that offer the postgraduate degree for primary school teaching as there doesn't seem to be many unis that offer this x

I did a Maths degree then a PGCE - there are loads offering Primary PGCE - google is your friend.

Oxford Brookes https://www.brookes.ac.uk/school-of-education/courses/teacher-training/pgce-primary/

Edge Hill: https://www.edgehill.ac.uk/courses/pgce-primary/
Recommend looking at winchester university, they do a fab primary education degree. Loads of my friends do it and love it :smile:) x
Reply 9
I did a Maths degree then a PGCE - there are loads offering Primary PGCE - google is your friend.

Oxford Brookes https://www.brookes.ac.uk/school-of-education/courses/teacher-training/pgce-primary/

Edge Hill: https://www.edgehill.ac.uk/courses/pgce-primary/

Thank you so much 😄😄
Reply 10
Original post by Pheebz0711
Recommend looking at winchester university, they do a fab primary education degree. Loads of my friends do it and love it :smile:) x

Ooo ok I'll check it out. Thank you! x
Hi @Elz15

Just a quick one to say we offer a Primary General PGCE.

We also offer a Primary Education with QTS degree - this is a three year degree which means you'll graduate as a qualified teacher in three years rather than four (standard three year UG degree, plus 1 year PGCE degree). If you search on UCAS/Google, you should find other unis which offer this course too.

I hope that helps - and good luck!

Thanks

Amy
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Staffordshire University
Hi @Elz15

Just a quick one to say we offer a Primary General PGCE.

We also offer a Primary Education with QTS degree - this is a three year degree which means you'll graduate as a qualified teacher in three years rather than four (standard three year UG degree, plus 1 year PGCE degree). If you search on UCAS/Google, you should find other unis which offer this course too.

I hope that helps - and good luck!

Thanks

Amy

Thank you so much. Would I be able to an undergraduate degree and then do a primary Education course and do you offer just a one year primary Education with QTS? On UCAS I have searched Education courses and not many universites come up that have primary teaching courses yet if I search universities separately they do come up so I was a bit confused 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending