The Student Room Group

League tables "Entry Standards" - How to judge if your application is realistic?

The Complete University Guide website shows the average UCAS tariff score of new students entering the university in the 'Entry Standards' column. I assume that these are the average UCAS points for those who were given offers, accepted and achieved the required grades.

The average entry UCAS tariff shown for many of the universities seems way above the entry grades for courses in that subject. For example for universities asking for AAA entry grades, the entry tariff score on the league tables show score ranges from 164 - 221 UCAS points? That either means 3 A*s with multiple extra curricular activities or more than 3 A levels with some extra curricular activities.

Even The Guardian league tables give similar entry tariff information.

I am calculating my UCAS points on the UCAS website and comparing it with the entry tariff's shown in the league tables. Is this a good way to judge if an application is realistic?
Most universities don't even use UCAS points, I wouldn't use them as a point of reference unless one of the unis you are applying for use UCAS Tariff Points - personal statements, interviews, super curriculars and other factors all aren't being taken into account
Original post by Unister
The Complete University Guide website shows the average UCAS tariff score of new students entering the university in the 'Entry Standards' column. I assume that these are the average UCAS points for those who were given offers, accepted and achieved the required grades.

The average entry UCAS tariff shown for many of the universities seems way above the entry grades for courses in that subject. For example for universities asking for AAA entry grades, the entry tariff score on the league tables show score ranges from 164 - 221 UCAS points? That either means 3 A*s with multiple extra curricular activities or more than 3 A levels with some extra curricular activities.

I am calculating my UCAS points on the UCAS website and comparing it with the entry tariff's shown in the league tables. Is this a good way to judge if an application is realistic?

Ignore ucas points most dont use them. Just look at entry requirements. If a university says you need say AAA and you are at or close to it in your predicted grades then you have a very good chance of an offer. For very competitive universities and courses it might be different but that is mainly medical type courses and your Oxbridges and imperials of this world.
Depending on the course you are applying to, you need to be predicted the min entry grades. Then you need to focus on your personal statement. If you are applying for pharmacy, have you gained work experience with a pharmacist?
Original post by Unister
The Complete University Guide website shows the average UCAS tariff score of new students entering the university

One of my previous jobs was 'recording harvest grades' - ie. calculating the maximum number of UCAS points for every single accepted applicant. Unis value this as it contributes to funding/positions on League Tables and a whole host of other data-sets that benefit the Uni in terms of ££ or reputation. This includes calculating UCAS points for qualifications that didn't actually get applicants onto the course but they had regardless.

You seem to be assuming that you need these 'high UCAS points' to be accepted because some applicants apparently had high UCAS points. Correlation is not the same as causation - https://www.theguardian.com/science/blog/2012/jan/06/correlation-causation

Unis who make 'grade' offers do not accept on 'UCAS points' - if you want more flexible acceptance terms then apply to lower level UCAS points Unis. Converting your grade expectations to UCAS points will not tell you of you meet the grade requirements of top Unis or if you will be accepted if you get those overall points.

(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Thank you for all your feedback. It's really helpful.

I would like to be aspirational and apply to high ranked universities (not Oxbridge). However, as I only just have the predicted entry grades for some of my choices, I have been finding it hard to work out the balance between aspirational and realistic. I want to aim high but am worried about ending up with no offers. The league tables entry grades completely messed up what I was thinking but sounds like I shouldn't read too much into it. :smile: Thanks.
This is the usual advice :
1 'risky' choice - just above your predicted grades - one grade and not in a crucial subject
2 or 3 - at your predicted grades
1 or 2 - below your predicted grade

Don't use League Tables as a guide for 'where to apply' - they wont tell you if you will enjoy that course or like being at that Uni.
Go to Uni Open Days - online or in-person - listen to the subject talks, do a campus tour (also on YouTube) and think about what you want from the coirse and the Uni. You can't 'google the answer' to this - you do have to do some reseacrh and thinking for yourself.
Reply 7
Original post by McGinger
This is the usual advice :
1 'risky' choice - just above your predicted grades - one grade and not in a crucial subject
2 or 3 - at your predicted grades
1 or 2 - below your predicted grade

Don't use League Tables as a guide for 'where to apply' - they wont tell you if you will enjoy that course or like being at that Uni.
Go to Uni Open Days - online or in-person - listen to the subject talks, do a campus tour (also on YouTube) and think about what you want from the coirse and the Uni. You can't 'google the answer' to this - you do have to do some reseacrh and thinking for yourself.

Thanks. Your list above is really helpful to understand what is safe and what is not. :smile: Thanks for the advice. I agree, it's not all about league tables. I have been trying to educate myself about the entire university experience and have a few more open days planned. Thanks again for your help.
Original post by Unister

no. except for Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE, St Andrews (+ other unis but only for particular courses) you are basically guaranteed to get a Conditional offer if your application looks like you are fully capable of meeting the terms of the offer - unis have a low yield rate between 15-20% so want to accept everyone they can
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by A Rolling Stone
no. except for Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE, St Andrews (+ other unis but only for particular courses) you are basically guaranteed to get a Conditional offer if your application looks like you are fully capable of meeting the terms of the offer - unis have a low yield rate between 15-20% so want to accept everyone they can

Thanks. That's good to know. St. Andrews is my aspirational choice. Will need to decide the others accordingly as this will most likely be a risky choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending