The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hiya reposting for your amazing advice @GANFYD @Hygeia and other helpers!
Please help I'm so confused :frown:

I think my post got lost in the previous thread/beginning of pt. 4:

UCAT (third time sitting it): 2830 Band 3 (pls let this be the last time I sit this exam)
A levels (2017): A (French), B (Chemistry), B (Biology)
GCSEs (2015): 9A* (Chem, Bio, Phys, Eng Lit, Eng Lang, Prod Design, Art, French, History) 2A (Maths, Urdu)
Degree (2021): 1st in Medical Sciences (Hons) BSc
Work Experience/extra-curriculars: shadowing x 3 different hospitals (one in Pakistan), 1-year hospice volunteer, 3 months bank HCA (private company), BSMS online work experience, set up stem cell society and was vice president for one year, president for Islamic society one year, class rep in 1st and 2nd year, award for representing students.
Currently working as a medical writer.
No WP/context flags.

I'm thinking of 1-2 GEM, 2-3 five year courses?
For the five year ones, I'm a bit stuck. I was really banking on GGow and Manchester, but seems like Glasgow RUK cutoff was 2830 last year, and Manchester prefer band 1/2 over 3 for interview. I'm also considering Cardiff A100, Leciester A100, QMUL A100 and/or King's A100. Which do you think are best?

For GEM I'm considering Warwick, and potentially Cambridge A101 as a wildcard (will regret either way if I don't try haha). Do you think there are any other GEM options that might work with my stats - I think the SJT band is really the problem for me!

I did apply last year with 3010 band 2 to Edinburgh A100, Kings A101, Newcastle A101, Birmingham A101 - and was rejected from all four pre-interview. Think I was over-optimistic and didn't put any safe options down - Brum was just a huge mistake as they prefer grads in FT work.

Thanks!
(edited 2 years ago)
I don't know how much it will increase by, but I think 33.5 should be more than enough to get an interview.
Ah thanks! Do you know much about how Cardiff score @020200 as I get 27/27 but confused how they'd use this for grads? I really want to apply to Glasgow but I guess I'll wait and see once UCAT scores are released - praying it drops this year, but that seems unlikely.
@GANFYD @Coolkingz and all the other other wonderful TSR contributors
Working through the uni medicine pages and could really do with some advice please.

Have the following stats:
GCSEs
PE, Geography - 9
Biology, physics, Maths, Eng Lang, Art - 8
Chemistry - 7
Eng Lit, German - 6

Predicted A levels: Biology (A*), Geography (A*), Chemistry (A)

UCAT 2680 (VR 530, D 710, Q 690, A 750) SJt 2
No contextual flags, volunteering in hospital and online WE

Would have loved Sheffield but UCAT too low. Currently thinking Liverpool (but worried have changed criteria), Manchester, Portsmouth and possibly UEA or Southampton. Any thoughts how risky these are/ suggestions of others to consider. Any help would be appreciated.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by iamaslostasyou
Ah thanks! Do you know much about how Cardiff score @020200 as I get 27/27 but confused how they'd use this for grads? I really want to apply to Glasgow but I guess I'll wait and see once UCAT scores are released - praying it drops this year, but that seems unlikely.

Only unis I really know about are ones I've looked at for myself lol. Not sure about Cardiff and Glasgow so maybe someone else can help :smile: good luck!
Original post by 020200
Manchester would be fine, you should get an interview no problem. You outline the correct issue with Sheffield, not sure if they consider SJT post interview, but if they do it depends on how well your interview can compensate

Yes post interview they do consider sjt but it’s only 1 point. I’m thinking it’s worth the risk. They said 9 mmi stations with 9th being sjt marking so would lose 1 point. There total for all stations is 45 so I’m thinking 1 point isn’t that much hopefully if I do ok on other stations. I think its more safe for me Sheffield then Nottingham (119/152).
thank you so much again for all your help I feel so much better today as was really struggling with what to put for the best. Thanks again
Original post by Boothymiller
Yes post interview they do consider sjt but it’s only 1 point. I’m thinking it’s worth the risk. They said 9 mmi stations with 9th being sjt marking so would lose 1 point. There total for all stations is 45 so I’m thinking 1 point isn’t that much hopefully if I do ok on other stations. I think its more safe for me Sheffield then Nottingham (119/152).
thank you so much again for all your help I feel so much better today as was really struggling with what to put for the best. Thanks again

In which case yeah, you could go for Sheffield but double-check you aren't missing anywhere because your UCAT is really good, so make sure you squeeze that advantage.
Original post by Rob8123
Hi @GANFYD @Coolkingz and all the other helpers on here.

I am belatedly looking at my Uni choices now i have done my Ucat - i admit i have been slow to this, and school doesnt provide any guidance.

This week I got 2690, but with Sit Judgement Band 1.

I have 7x A*s and 2xAs and 2xBs @ GCSE

Predicteds are A* Maths, A*Chem and A biology

I live in WALES

I got to a non selective local comprehensive.

However, looking at Polar and Acorn i dont get any contextual uplift - i live in a very rural spot but seemingly these dont count.

I am about to create a spreadsheet and work out my options - but id appreciate your thoughts if possible as a sounding board / sanity check
I am going to list all 30 schools (ucat) and see if i can whittle them down to see what are the "safest" bets or lowest grade offers.

Here is my immediate take and some key queries id love your feedback on:

I WAS going to apply to Southampton and Bristol - but my less than ideal Ucat score rules these out - Agree?

I read Edinburgh and Newcastle are also out due to lower than required Ucat score cutoff - agree?

Any others i should rule out on my first pass based on Ucat?

I am 100% going to apply to Cardiff - as i am from Wales which i think might be an advantage and have the 27 points needed (we could only do double science but that counts for 2)

I was also considering Exeter - would my Ucat be good enough? What kinda offers do they make?

Would Plyouth be a good option?

I had never thought about QUB, but after reading on here now im wondering if that is a good option (they are less popular so lower reqs?) - they favour Sit judgement?

What other schools would be a good choice based on my score and situational judgment - i read Leicester perhaps?

Any schools that give contextuals based on attending a non selective loval govt Comp school?

I checked Birmingham but it doesnt list any Welsh schools on its xls....i will need to call them tomorrow

Apologies for all the questions...i hope you can give me some guidance - i feel a little overwhelmed with all the choices and "unknowns" in terms of selection criteria, and of course (like everyone) want to maximise my chances, and also see if i can get a range of A level grad requirements in case i dont achieve A*s across the board.

Thanks again - really appreciate any help you can offer (i know you must be overwhelmed with the same question every 5 mins)

Cheers
Rob

Could you say which subjects you received those grades in at GCSE? It's important as it helps calculate what your score would be for Aston.
You're correct that Southampton, Bristol, Newcastle and Edinburgh are off the table. Your score is also too low for Sheffield, and probably is too low for St Andrews and Glasgow. I think you could look at Anglia Ruskin, Plymouth, Edge Hill, UEA and St George's maybe, but I can't give more recommendations without knowing your full GCSE stats.
Just to clarify, do you have achieved A levels? 33.5/36 would probably be enough for interview (out of 36 because 24 for GCSE and 12 for UCAT), whereas 33.5/48 probably wouldn't be enough (A Levels are scored out of 12 I think)
@Coolkingz

You may see above that I'm debating for my final spot between Aston and Manchester. My Aston score I make out to be 31/36 and my UCAT is 2760 B1. Which one would you say is the safer bet. My other 3 firm options are HYMS, Leicester and UEA.
Hi guys, here is my info:
GCSEs and grade breakdown : 99999888A*7A (9s in bio chem maths business and french, 8s in English lit, geography physics, 7 in English language, A* in further maths and A in statistics)
A level achieved: AAA (bio chem maths)
UCAT: 690 avg (2760)
SJT band : 3 :frown:
Brief mention of work experience : Brighton and Sussex, observe gp, ongoing clinical experience as hca
I meet WP criteria: low household income, bursary student etc.

I’m planning to apply for ARU, KMMS, and SGUL. Which med schools could I select for my 4th medicine option? Is Lincoln Medical School a good option (on the basis that i can get an interview?) . Also for my 5th option, I'd like to consider dentistry (if this is even allowed?) . However since my personal statement is based on medicine, are there any dental schools that I could apply to which dont look at personal statement (or put minimal emphasis on it?). Thank you!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by 020200
In which case yeah, you could go for Sheffield but double-check you aren't missing anywhere because your UCAT is really good, so make sure you squeeze that advantage.

I don’t know where else. I liked Nottingham but being realistic that I don’t have enough (119/152) is there anywhere I have missed? I really would like to do dissection. I realise Newcastle and Bristol don’t but do it but have chance in intercalation years. I really don’t want to go london. I live very near to london so would travel and I don’t want to do that. That’s why I have avoided aru as live 20 minutes from there.is there anywhere I have missed??
Reposting becasue didn't get response :frown:

Would really appreciate if you could help @GANFYD@becausethenight :smile:

Mature student 23 y/o

GCSEs and full grade/subject breakdown
A physics
B maths
8 English Lang (taken as adult)
8 Modern Hebrew (taken as adult)
7 Human Biology IGCSE (taken as adult)
pending Chemistry

A levels, subjects and predictions
Access to HE medicine at The Manchester College (course QAA certified) predicted all distinctions

UCAT and breakdown of subsections
Verbal Reasoning 650
Decision Making 680
Quantitative Reasoning 710
Abstract Reasoning 630
Total Score 2670
SJT band 2

Brief mention of work experience
2 years volunteering as EMT
1 year volunteering in local charity
3+ years in management

Any contextual or WP flags
Fit in pretty much all WP flags, for postcode, schools, and first in family. However, many unis dont look at WP for mature students

Ideally would love to apply for Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds & Lancaster.

Doing BMAT in November.

Do you think i'm being unreasonable?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Effyd123

Would really appreciate if you could help @ecolier@GANFYD@reality_check :smile:

Mature student 23 y/o

A physics
B maths
pending Chemistry

Access to HE medicine at The Manchester College (course QAA certified) predicted all distinctions

Verbal Reasoning 650
Decision Making 680
Abstract Reasoning 630
Total Score 2670
SJT band 2

3+ years in management

Fit in pretty much all WP flags, for postcode, schools, and first in family. However, many unis dont look at WP for mature students

Doing BMAT in November.

Are you sitting GAMSAt for Lpool? They require GAMSAT even for A100 for grads!
Are you sitting GAMSAt for Lpool? They require GAMSAT even for A100 for grads!

I never wrote that I'm a grad... I'm undergrad....
I never wrote that I'm a grad... I'm undergrad....

Oh sorry I just saw mature student and assumed - no GAMSAT then !
Oh sorry I just saw mature student and assumed - no GAMSAT then !

Yes lucky me :smile: only need UCAT and BMAT.... :mad:
Original post by 020200
@Coolkingz

You may see above that I'm debating for my final spot between Aston and Manchester. My Aston score I make out to be 31/36 and my UCAT is 2760 B1. Which one would you say is the safer bet. My other 3 firm options are HYMS, Leicester and UEA.

Could you post all your stats again please?

Would really appreciate if you could help @ecolier@GANFYD@reality_check :smile:

Mature student 23 y/o

A physics
B maths
pending Chemistry

Verbal Reasoning 650
Decision Making 680
Abstract Reasoning 630
Total Score 2670
SJT band 2

3+ years in management

Doing BMAT in November.

@Coolkingz you think you could help me as well :smile:
Original post by Coolkingz
Could you post all your stats again please?

Degree: 1:1 Biochemistry from KCL
GCSE: 6 A*, 4 A, 3 B (Maths A, Eng Lang B, A* in bio and chem - I know aston scores these subjects)
UCAT: 2760, B1

Pretty sure they all consider grads and undergrads together providing you aren't WP (don't think grads are eligible for WP pts anyway obvs)
(edited 2 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending