The Student Room Group

apprentices

are apprentices worth it -HELPPP pls !
It depends on the level of the apprenticeship, the industry it's in, and what you want to do. I'm currently doing a level 6 (degree) apprenticeship and it's a better route for me than university. When I complete my apprenticeship, I'll have 6 years experience in the industry and two recognised qualifications and I'll also have been earning a wage and can start building my savings/deposit towards a house/car, etc. I prefer the apprenticeship route for the stability it provides me.

What is it you're interesting in doing an apprenticeship in?
Reply 2
Original post by grey-giraffe
It depends on the level of the apprenticeship, the industry it's in, and what you want to do. I'm currently doing a level 6 (degree) apprenticeship and it's a better route for me than university. When I complete my apprenticeship, I'll have 6 years experience in the industry and two recognised qualifications and I'll also have been earning a wage and can start building my savings/deposit towards a house/car, etc. I prefer the apprenticeship route for the stability it provides me.

What is it you're interesting in doing an apprenticeship in?

if i did an apprenticeship i'd probably want to go into economics or something like business management and like you said, w uni you get into debt and w an apprenticeship don't you literally get paid to study?
then again, it's the experiential value that i'd be missing out on
Original post by holyguac
if i did an apprenticeship i'd probably want to go into economics or something like business management and like you said, w uni you get into debt and w an apprenticeship don't you literally get paid to study?
then again, it's the experiential value that i'd be missing out on

Yes, the qualifications you're working towards in an apprenticeship are paid for by your employer/employer + government. For most apprenticeships, you would be doing 4 days of work and 1 day of lessons/lectures per week, and you're paid for all 5 days. It's important to understand that while you're paid for the day of lectures/lessons you do, this isn't the extend of your "study". There will still be a significant amount of your time outside of working hours and lecture hours that you will need to spend revising/writing assignments/group presentations/etc in order to do well in your qualifications, and you won't be paid for these hours. Higher/degree apprenticeships are a lot of hard work and commitment, and much harder than a normal full-time degree course. Please don't let that put you off if you are wanting to pursue one though, they're absolutely worth it.

You would get a lot of experiential value with an apprenticeship as you will be learning a lot of knowledge, skills, and behaviours (KSBs) from employment. You would miss out on varied experience from multiple internships/student programmes, but the purpose of these is to provide you with work experience to make securing a job after graduation easier as well as providing you with some insight into the industry. You are moved around different departments whilst in an apprenticeship to give you a broader skillset, as well. Going to university is generally better for people who are unsure what they want to go into specifically, and want to gain a better understanding of the jobs available in their desired industry; apprenticeships are generally better for people who are sure what they want to go into, and want to start their career sooner.
Reply 4
Original post by holyguac
are apprentices worth it -HELPPP pls !

Yes and No as it all depends on the level, the organisation willing to fund even more FE/qualifications and how big the organization is.

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and-work-experience/apprenticeships/what-is-an-apprenticeship

https://www.gov.uk/become-apprentice

Yes- no University debt.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending