The Student Room Group

Can you appeal failing a year?

Hi there,

Summarised:

If you've failed two modules (both semi out of your control), but can only fail one to progress to the next year, can you appeal an exam board's decision to make you redo the year/pause?

Context:

My university have said we can only fail one module in a year to be able to progress to the next and carry it over.

My uni placement counts as a module, occupational health refused to sign me off so I couldn't do any of it (totally understand, but was out of my control when it was their decision) due to COVID we only had one placement block we could do, so I couldn't make up for it.

One essay is another module, I was 4 marks off passing and we weren't given any opportunities to resubmit that particular module before year 2 begins (Monday). Meaning that's another module I've failed.

Pretty much, had I been able to resubmit the essay I could've passed it and been eligible for year 2, so a whole year potentially wasted for something I could've fixed in a couple of days.

When we get the official exam board results on Wednesday, is there a way to appeal it or put my case forward explaining myself? Or is university as simple as a fail is a fail regardless of circumstances?

Thanks so much
Depends, sometimes they'll pass you anyway I forget the term....
Original post by Anonymous
Hi there,

Summarised:

If you've failed two modules (both semi out of your control), but can only fail one to progress to the next year, can you appeal an exam board's decision to make you redo the year/pause?

Context:

My university have said we can only fail one module in a year to be able to progress to the next and carry it over.

My uni placement counts as a module, occupational health refused to sign me off so I couldn't do any of it (totally understand, but was out of my control when it was their decision) due to COVID we only had one placement block we could do, so I couldn't make up for it.

One essay is another module, I was 4 marks off passing and we weren't given any opportunities to resubmit that particular module before year 2 begins (Monday). Meaning that's another module I've failed.

Pretty much, had I been able to resubmit the essay I could've passed it and been eligible for year 2, so a whole year potentially wasted for something I could've fixed in a couple of days.

When we get the official exam board results on Wednesday, is there a way to appeal it or put my case forward explaining myself? Or is university as simple as a fail is a fail regardless of circumstances?

Thanks so much

Which course is this? I'm presuming it's a healthcare course of some kind due to the placements.

An appeal is usually only possible if you have new information to present to the university about your performance which they didn't have already. Is that relevant in your case?
Reply 3
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Which course is this? I'm presuming it's a healthcare course of some kind due to the placements.

An appeal is usually only possible if you have new information to present to the university about your performance which they didn't have already. Is that relevant in your case?

It's mental health nursing, I don't really have new information other than I was diagnosed with autism last month, and have been recommended for an ADHD assessment which is in November but don't know if that could do anything other than explain some of the reasons I wasn't approved by occupational health for placement due to it being mainly for mental health reasons, or my lack of focus if it confirmed as ADHD etc for why I just missed a pass mark for the essay. I wasn't sure if not having control over them not letting us resubmit at all during year 1 the essay would be a valid enough reason or obviously occupational health not being in my control either?
Hi there,

Thanks so much

The failed placement is what it is, and there's obviously nothing to appeal about. Have you been given a date or period where you can retrieve this placement?

What does it say in your course regs about not being given an opportunity for a referral in this failed essay? Are referrals usually allowed in this module, and has the university explained why there isn't one being offered this year/in your case?

It's mental health nursing, I don't really have new information other than I was diagnosed with autism last month, and have been recommended for an ADHD assessment which is in November but don't know if that could do anything other than explain some of the reasons I wasn't approved by occupational health for placement due to it being mainly for mental health reasons, or my lack of focus if it confirmed as ADHD etc for why I just missed a pass mark for the essay. I wasn't sure if not having control over them not letting us resubmit at all during year 1 the essay would be a valid enough reason or obviously occupational health not being in my control either?

I don't think throwing MH at it will make any difference - most nursing/AHP courses are clear about not being able to progress if you've not passed the placements, regardless of the reasons for the failure. As I said above, sometimes you get a window to 'retrieve' the failed placement, and you can progress - it depends on your specific course regs.

You will have to let the university know about your diagnosis and upcoming assessment for ADHD, but they may not accept these as retrospective reasons for failing your placement etc. What have the university told you will happen next? Will you retake Year 1 for example? I know a lot of healthcare courses can be strict about this, and the placement fail will not help unfortunately.
Reply 6
Original post by PhoenixFortune
You will have to let the university know about your diagnosis and upcoming assessment for ADHD, but they may not accept these as retrospective reasons for failing your placement etc. What have the university told you will happen next? Will you retake Year 1 for example? I know a lot of healthcare courses can be strict about this, and the placement fail will not help unfortunately.

I don't think they'd be valid reasons either as Reality Check said above too. It's just unlucky.

I've not been told to redo year 1, it was mentioned a pause may be the only option but had I have been given just one resubmit for the essay and passed, I would've been fine going into year 2. Because when I wasn't allowed on placement I was told I could make up the hours etc in year 2 and 3. But now it looks the only option is to have a whole 12 months off for the sake of tweaking an essay. I could probably make up the 10 weeks placement time during this, but it's just a lot of time off to do nothing when I could make these both up whilst still carrying on :frown: I guess it is how it is
I don't think they'd be valid reasons either as Reality Check said above too. It's just unlucky.

I've not been told to redo year 1, it was mentioned a pause may be the only option but had I have been given just one resubmit for the essay and passed, I would've been fine going into year 2. Because when I wasn't allowed on placement I was told I could make up the hours etc in year 2 and 3. But now it looks the only option is to have a whole 12 months off for the sake of tweaking an essay. I could probably make up the 10 weeks placement time during this, but it's just a lot of time off to do nothing when I could make these both up whilst still carrying on :frown: I guess it is how it is

It's not just for the sake of the essay, but also the placement. I think you need to get out of your head about tweaking your essay, because you never got the opportunity, so that's that really. Do you have it in writing that you could make up the hours in Years 2 and 3? If not, they won't probably honour that.

I guess taking the year off may not be a bad thing given your ongoing assessments etc. During that time you can identify areas you need help with (like extra time, extensions) and then let your university's disability department know when you return.
Reply 8
Thanks all, a year isn't too long and you've all made good points. If I have to take a year then I'll still come back bigger and better - this is all I want to do with my life so I'm not giving up. Thanks for the comments.
What was the out come here as wanting to share with a friend who is in same situation can you advise and sorry you went through this xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending