The Student Room Group

Second degree funding STEM

Hi.

I studied two years of a drama degree in 1992-1994 before having to leave and now due to my age the small loans were written off a couple of years ago.

I studied DIPHE 2009-2012 in mental health nursing and qualified. This was NHS bursary funded. I’m looking at studying medical sciences at Worcester or biomedical science at Gloucester part time stating 2022 but will I be entitled to stem second degree funding or first degree as it was NHS and my earlier loans were written off?

Thanks

Vicky xx
Original post by Brumvixen
Hi.

I studied two years of a drama degree in 1992-1994 before having to leave and now due to my age the small loans were written off a couple of years ago.

I studied DIPHE 2009-2012 in mental health nursing and qualified. This was NHS bursary funded. I’m looking at studying medical sciences at Worcester or biomedical science at Gloucester part time stating 2022 but will I be entitled to stem second degree funding or first degree as it was NHS and my earlier loans were written off?

Thanks

Vicky xx

Hi Vicky,

Below is a list of the Full Time courses exempt from Equivalent Level Qualification (ELQ) and Previous Study rules:
- Graduate Entry Medical Chiropody
- Dietetics
- Dietetics and Nutrition (Please note that these courses specifically have both dietetics and nutrition in the title. The individual course ‘nutrition’ is not a valid Allied Health Professional course)
- Occupational Therapy
- Operating Department Practice (Diplomas and Degrees)
- Orthoptics
- Physiotherapy
- Podiatry
- Prosthetics and Orthotics
- Radiography (diagnostic and therapeutic)
- Radiotherapy
- Speech and Language Therapy/ Dental courses

Part Time
If you already hold an Honours degree or a higher level (HE) qualification, you are able to apply for a Part Time Fee Loan for any one of the exception course below. For students who start a new course from 18/19 onwards, this will mean they can apply for the Part Time Maintenance Loan as well as tuition fees.
- Medicine and Dentistry
- Subjects to Allied Medicine
- Biological and Sport Science
- Psychology
- Veterinary Sciences
- Agriculture, Food and Related Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- General and Others in Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Engineering and Technology
- Computing
- Geographical and Environmental Studies

If you study a part time biomedical science course then your previous study will not affect your eligibility for funding.

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi Vicky,

Below is a list of the Full Time courses exempt from Equivalent Level Qualification (ELQ) and Previous Study rules:
- Graduate Entry Medical Chiropody
- Dietetics
- Dietetics and Nutrition (Please note that these courses specifically have both dietetics and nutrition in the title. The individual course ‘nutrition’ is not a valid Allied Health Professional course)
- Occupational Therapy
- Operating Department Practice (Diplomas and Degrees)
- Orthoptics
- Physiotherapy
- Podiatry
- Prosthetics and Orthotics
- Radiography (diagnostic and therapeutic)
- Radiotherapy
- Speech and Language Therapy/ Dental courses

Part Time
If you already hold an Honours degree or a higher level (HE) qualification, you are able to apply for a Part Time Fee Loan for any one of the exception course below. For students who start a new course from 18/19 onwards, this will mean they can apply for the Part Time Maintenance Loan as well as tuition fees.
- Medicine and Dentistry
- Subjects to Allied Medicine
- Biological and Sport Science
- Psychology
- Veterinary Sciences
- Agriculture, Food and Related Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- General and Others in Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Engineering and Technology
- Computing
- Geographical and Environmental Studies

If you study a part time biomedical science course then your previous study will not affect your eligibility for funding.

Thanks, Isaac

Thank you. Is medical sciences part time exempt too
Thank you. Is medical sciences part time exempt too

Please provide the exact course and university name and I can check.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Isaac
Please provide the exact course and university name and I can check.
Thanks, Isaac

Medical Sciences at Worcester University
Medical Sciences at Worcester University

This is a full time course, not part time and therefore is not exempt.

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 6
The course lead has told
Me there are part time
Options
The course lead has told
Me there are part time
Options

Unfortunately there is no part time course on the database with this name. The university would have to add this.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending