The Student Room Group

Ucas law application

Hi i’m wondering why unis don’t require you to complete your lnat before you submit your ucas application since lnat is such an important part of the application? do they shortlist those with strong applications first and then see their lnat results when they come in or?? just curious!
Original post by Sophxxxdd
Hi i’m wondering why unis don’t require you to complete your lnat before you submit your ucas application since lnat is such an important part of the application? do they shortlist those with strong applications first and then see their lnat results when they come in or?? just curious!

I'm not really sure. I'm going to complete my lnat test on the 28th of October (before the school sends off the UCAS application) so that I have an idea of whether I did well on the test, just in case I really did badly and need to change my university options. Also if you take your lnat test after the 21st of October the universities get your results within 24 hours so i'm guessing they look at it all together.
All Unis have a different way of assssing applications, however in general :

If you apply before taking LNAT you applicaton will be put to one side until you have done that and the results are received by that Uni.
Each Uni regularly downloads MCQ results and essays from the LNAT website and matches them to applications. Most will then mark your essay and combine this score with thta for your MCQ. This LNAT score will be added to your score for GCSEs. A levels and PS - if that Uni reads PS. For Bristol the weightings are : GCSE 20% | A-Level 40% | LNAT 40% (with 60% multiple choice questions and 40% essay), but every Uni will do this differently.

Your overall score will be ranked on a great big spreadsheet and offers are made gradually to the highest scorers as they come in/are assessed.
The Uni will gradually lower the score that qualifies for an offer - and start rejecting those off the bottom with very weak overall scores. After the Jan deadline as the Uni gets responses to offers - Firm, Insurance, Decline - it can judge the number of offers it still needs to make to reach the offer target to ensure enough bums-on-seats after Results Day. Its a very complicated process and that is why some people will be on Hold until March/April and the final offers are made.
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger

If you apply before taking LNAT you applicaton will be put to one side until you have done that and the results are received by that Uni.
Each Uni regularly downloads MCQ results and essays from the LNAT website and matches them to applications. Most will then mark your essay and combine this score with thta for your MCQ. This LNAT score will be added to your score for GCSEs. A levels and PS - if that Uni reads PS. For Bristol the weightings are : GCSE 20% | A-Level 40% | LNAT 40% (with 60% multiple choice questions and 40% essay), but every Uni will do this differently.

Your overall score will be ranked on a great big spreadsheet and offers are made gradually to the highest scorers as they come in/are assessed.
The Uni will gradually lower the score that qualifies for an offer - and start rejecting those off the bottom with very weak overall scores. After the Jan deadline as the Uni gets responses to offers - Firm, Insurance, Decline - it can judge the number of offers it still needs to make to reach the offer target to ensure enough bums-on-seats after Results Day. Its a very complicated process and that is why some people will be on Hold until March/April and the final offers are made.

this is really helpful, thanks so much! :smile:
Original post by McGinger

How do you find out the weightings for each uni?
Original post by Istudytoomuch
How do you find out the weightings for each uni?

Ask them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending