The Student Room Group

Medicine Application

Is 3060 (and Band 2) a good score for an international student, and would universities like Newcastle, Sheffield, KCL, Bristol, Liverpool, Manchester and Leicester be likely to offer me interviews? Which would be the best combo of universities? (I have nine grade 9s and one grade 7 in IGCSEs and GCSES and I'm predicted A*A*A* in biology, chemistry and mathematics at A-level, and predicted A* in my EPQ).
Reply 1
yes it's a really good score, i'd kill for a score like that.
Reply 2
Original post by kfc7
yes it's a really good score, i'd kill for a score like that.

Heheh, thank you!

I'm still quite stressed because the interim reports showed that the UCAT scores increased this year, and as I am applying as an overseas student, I'm worried that other international students will be able to put forth more competitive applications. What do you think? Are you also applying as an international student?
Reply 3
Original post by applecyder
Heheh, thank you!

I'm still quite stressed because the interim reports showed that the UCAT scores increased this year, and as I am applying as an overseas student, I'm worried that other international students will be able to put forth more competitive applications. What do you think? Are you also applying as an international student?

Yes I am applying as an international student, sitting my ucat on Tuesday, this exam makes me want to bash me head against the wall. At this point i'd be happy with 2400xD
Is 3060 (and Band 2) a good score for an international student, and would universities like Newcastle, Sheffield, KCL, Bristol, Liverpool, Manchester and Leicester be likely to offer me interviews? Which would be the best combo of universities? (I have nine grade 9s and one grade 7 in IGCSEs and GCSES and I'm predicted A*A*A* in biology, chemistry and mathematics at A-level, and predicted A* in my EPQ).

Newcastle, KCL, Bristol and Manchester. Also consider QMUL.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by kfc7
Yes I am applying as an international student, sitting my ucat on Tuesday, this exam makes me want to bash me head against the wall. At this point i'd be happy with 2400xD

Oh my goodness, good luck! Honestly, I'm glad I don't have to feel the time pressure from the UCAT test again (but I know there'll be plenty of other time-pressured exams in the future T^T). Keep a cool head and you'll be great! Wishing you the best of luck :biggrin:<3
Reply 6
Oh my goodness, good luck! Honestly, I'm glad I don't have to feel the time pressure from the UCAT test again (but I know there'll be plenty of other time-pressured exams in the future T^T). Keep a cool head and you'll be great! Wishing you the best of luck :biggrin:<3

Thank you! Wishing you the best of luck with your application!
Reply 7
Original post by hungrysalamander
Newcastle, KCL, Bristol and Manchester. Also consider QMUL.

I see, what factors caused you to eliminate Sheffield and Liverpool from my list? Thanks for your comment!
I see, what factors caused you to eliminate Sheffield and Liverpool from my list? Thanks for your comment!

You have an excellent UCAT score so I picked the universities with the highest UCAT cutoff scores. You also have a lot of UCAS points so that's why I suggested QUML as well because they have a 50/50 UCAS point/UCAT weighing. Your GCSE's are good too so you can still apply to Liverpool, Leceister and Sheffield. Just depends on which university/course you like more:smile:
Reply 9
You have an excellent UCAT score so I picked the universities with the highest UCAT cutoff scores. You also have a lot of UCAS points so that's why I suggested QUML as well because they have a 50/50 UCAS point/UCAT weighing. Your GCSE's are good too so you can still apply to Liverpool, Leceister and Sheffield. Just depends on which university/course you like more:smile:

Cool, thank you so much! :biggrin:

One more question: do you think my score would be competitive compared to other international students? (My thinking before was that, as these universities have a high UCAT cutoff score, only international students with the highest UCAT scores would apply to them. What would be the 'safest' combination of universities, and what would be the most 'aspirational'?)
Cool, thank you so much! :biggrin:

One more question: do you think my score would be competitive compared to other international students? (My thinking before was that, as these universities have a high UCAT cutoff score, only international students with the highest UCAT scores would apply to them. What would be the 'safest' combination of universities, and what would be the most 'aspirational'?)

You can search for foi requests to see if the medical schools have a seperate UCAT cutoff for international students but I don't think they do. You far exceed any UCAT cutoff so I wouldn't worry too much about it. The actual distribution of UCAT scores kind of looks like this for last year's results. I haven't made one for this year yet as interim scores are usually 60-80 points higher than final scores. I made this is 5 minutes so it's not to scale but there aren't many with a score of above 3000.
w

You can search for foi requests to see if the medical schools have a seperate UCAT cutoff for international students but I don't think they do. You far exceed any UCAT cutoff so I wouldn't worry too much about it. The actual distribution of UCAT scores kind of looks like this for last year's results. I haven't made one for this year yet as interim scores are usually 60-80 points higher than final scores. I made this is 5 minutes so it's not to scale but there aren't many with a score of above 3000.

Wow, thank you! That really puts my spirits up. I'll have discussions with my careers advisor too, I hope this year's interim report deciles are also 60-80 points higher than the final deciles.

Quick Reply

Latest