The Student Room Group

Should I drop out of uni?

I'm a week into uni and got here with the completely wrong mindset as for a year before I told myself I did not want to go. My social anxiety mixed with this mindset has meant that I barely speak to anyone all day and feel very lonely. I'm in catered which is not for me as being surrounded by such big numbers of people overwhelmed me. I was thinking about dropping out, getting a job in the public service sector and also travelling to help build up my confidence and social skills, then go back next year with a new mindset in a self catered accommodation. If anyone could give their thoughts that would be great.
It's a tough one really.

I studied LLB Law and from the first week I knew that it wasn't for me. I stayed and barely attended for the whole 3 years, anxiety was impossible to control and I ended up getting a third. It has since taken me a further 5 years to finally have the grades (through doing a masters in something else) and a lot of volunteering to be able to get into a position to be accepted into what I wanted to do when I graduated originally!

Only you will know what is right for you, but I wish I had either changed courses early on or taken a year out to really decide what I wanted to do before attending university. Fingers crossed for you and your decision!
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a week into uni and got here with the completely wrong mindset as for a year before I told myself I did not want to go. My social anxiety mixed with this mindset has meant that I barely speak to anyone all day and feel very lonely. I'm in catered which is not for me as being surrounded by such big numbers of people overwhelmed me. I was thinking about dropping out, getting a job in the public service sector and also travelling to help build up my confidence and social skills, then go back next year with a new mindset in a self catered accommodation. If anyone could give their thoughts that would be great.

Yeah drop about you clearly can't be bothered
Reply 3
Yeah drop about you clearly can't be bothered

Not that I can't be bothered. I've really tried by going to bar by myself most nights and sitting with people at dinner.
Reply 4

Perhaps dropping out might end up being the right decision for you, but there is absolutely no way you can know that after 1 week. You need to at least give it a couple of months to be able to make an informed decision. I would suggest maybe changing your mindset if possible and making the most of it until say Christmas, and then make a decision during the holidays before potentially going back in January.
(edited 2 years ago)
For what it's worth, I was in a similar situation a few years ago. I was in catered accommodation. Did not get on with flatmates so felt weird asf for eating alone in canteen. But I made friends on my course from lectures and visiting societies so I ended up doing well and had fun.

Of course with covid idk if your uni is even doing live lectures rn or if societies are open? If they are then you can meet people here and make friends. Honestly if you can make friends on your course that's a good scenario cos you all in it together, i.e. doing exams/essays together. Try your best to be social in these scenarios.

Also it depends on whether you think you can not succumb to your social anxiety and try to be more social? If you can then you should stay in uni and try your best to be social with everyone no matter the outcome. Trust me uni years fly by and you'll regret not being more open and social when you leave
Reply 6
For what it's worth, I was in a similar situation a few years ago. I was in catered accommodation. Did not get on with flatmates so felt weird asf for eating alone in canteen. But I made friends on my course from lectures and visiting societies so I ended up doing well and had fun.

Of course with covid idk if your uni is even doing live lectures rn or if societies are open? If they are then you can meet people here and make friends. Honestly if you can make friends on your course that's a good scenario cos you all in it together, i.e. doing exams/essays together. Try your best to be social in these scenarios.

Also it depends on whether you think you can not succumb to your social anxiety and try to be more social? If you can then you should stay in uni and try your best to be social with everyone no matter the outcome. Trust me uni years fly by and you'll regret not being more open and social when you leave

Thanks for the response. I think most of my lectures are online which has made it a bit worse, I've signed up to some societies so will try them out. I sometimes go up to people at dinner and sit with them but once that's over it doesn't really lead to anything and I just end up going back to my room or for a walk around.
Reply 7
Original post by lalexm
Perhaps dropping out might end up being the right decision for you, but there is absolutely no way you can know that after 1 week. You need to at least give it a couple of months to be able to make an informed decision. I would suggest maybe changing you mindset and making the most of it until say Christmas, and then make a decision during the holidays before potentially going back in January.

Cheers for your response. Yes, I've been trying to be more positive about the whole thing. The only reason I'm hesitant to keep going until Christmas is that after the 10th of October I will be required to pay 25% of the £9250 and also the first terms £2000 rent for accommodation so if I choose to drop out after it could be an expensive mistake.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending