The Student Room Group

learning to drive during uni?

Has anyone done it and what was your experience?
Wanting to learn to drive as I am 17 but have anxiety about driving
My job that I want to do in the future requires me to drive to people's homes so it is an necessity. :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by sunsetlover321
Has anyone done it and what was your experience?
Wanting to learn to drive as I am 17 but have anxiety about driving
My job that I want to do in the future requires me to drive to people's homes so it is an necessity. :smile:

I'll be resuming driving lessons again this Tuesday coming at uni so can't comment on my experience - had quite a number of lessons previously last year, but the pandemic has disrupted plans to get a new instructor where I study at for uni + test slot.

It's normal to feel anxious about learning how to drive and there'll be many instructors around who are experienced with teaching anxious/nervous drivers - just make sure to find yourself a good instructor. Read reviews online, ask for friend's or friend of friend's recommendations, etc. and pretty much go from there.

Good luck with learning how to drive if you do manage to find an instructor. Currently, there's just a huge backlog for practical tests and people on waiting lists with various instructors for a driving lesson. :smile:
Reply 2
Presuming money for lessons is no object, there’s no issue. It’s just like every other skill with training your competence and confidence grows. See if you can find an instructor through personal recommendation.
Currently doing sp, alongside working part time and it’s not really a massive issue.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by JT_888
I'll be resuming driving lessons again this Tuesday coming at uni so can't comment on my experience - had quite a number of lessons previously last year, but the pandemic has disrupted plans to get a new instructor where I study at for uni + test slot.

It's normal to feel anxious about learning how to drive and there'll be many instructors around who are experienced with teaching anxious/nervous drivers - just make sure to find yourself a good instructor. Read reviews online, ask for friend's or friend of friend's recommendations, etc. and pretty much go from there.

Good luck with learning how to drive if you do manage to find an instructor. Currently, there's just a huge backlog for practical tests and people on waiting lists with various instructors for a driving lesson. :smile:

Thank you! the uni that I want to go is not local to where I live so don't know anyone who could recommend
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Currently doing sp, alongside working part time and it’s not really a massive issue.

Thank you for the reassurance! :smile:
When I did my first degree, I was at a uni in my town (started to learn to drive in my 2nd year of uni), so was able to learn in between going to work and uni. I found it to be an enjoyable experience as I always made sure I had a driving lesson on a day I wasn’t at work or uni, which worked out in my favour.

I totally get being anxious about learning to drive, but I would totally recommend really researching driving schools and finding a reputable one :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending