The Student Room Group

So nervous about going to lectures tomorrow

I’m in my second year of uni but because of covid I haven’t actually met anyone on my course as it was all online last year. I have my first in person lecture tomorrow and I’m so nervous because a lot of people in the group chat have already met up and I’m scared loads of people will already be in groups and know each other! Should I get there early and try to talk to people before we go in or should I just sit next to a random person?! I have really bad social anxiety and I’m also nearly 25 so a lot older than most of my coursemates 😅
You could try both. Get there early, talk to a few people and if it doesn't go well you can ask someone else if you can sit next to them for the lecture. Considering you're in a group chat with them, you could ask if anyone is going to be around 15-30ish minutes before the lecture and if they'd like to meet up?

Hope it goes well tomorrow :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I’m in my second year of uni but because of covid I haven’t actually met anyone on my course as it was all online last year. I have my first in person lecture tomorrow and I’m so nervous because a lot of people in the group chat have already met up and I’m scared loads of people will already be in groups and know each other! Should I get there early and try to talk to people before we go in or should I just sit next to a random person?! I have really bad social anxiety and I’m also nearly 25 so a lot older than most of my coursemates 😅

Hi!

I would do both. Getting there early will mean you meeting people outside before you go in. Even if you're not overly chatty, someone else is bound to be.
If you're already in this group chat, then put in a message to ask if people want to meet beforehand. Everyone feels anxious for their first lecture so don't feel alone and push yourself out of your comfort zone and it should get easier.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:
Original post by Anonymous

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that you're a bit nervous! But, I'd like to echo everything Chloe has said above!

One thing to try and remember is that a lot of people (although they may not give off that impression!) are in the same boat as you - so hopefully there's some comfort in the fact you're not alone! As well, going to a lecture a bit earlier is a great way to get chatting to your peers. I try and do this before my seminars to try and make friends! If there is a group chat being made, I'd ask if someone can add you in them when they have the time :biggrin:

I hope that helps, best of luck to you.

Ana
University of Liverpool Rep.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending