The Student Room Group

University of Birmingham A100 2022 entry

Scroll to see replies

I got 11A*s at GCSE and 2820 Band 2. Predicted A*A*A*, however I score no contextual points. Despite these stats, if you go to a grammar or private school, will you have a good chance of an Interview with these stats?
Reply 81
Original post by yara56394484
I got 11A*s at GCSE and 2820 Band 2. Predicted A*A*A*, however I score no contextual points. Despite these stats, if you go to a grammar or private school, will you have a good chance of an Interview with these stats?

You should interview, but Birmingham are using SJT as 25% of interview score, so you have lost points before starting with a B2
Original post by GANFYD
You should interview, but Birmingham are using SJT as 25% of interview score, so you have lost points before starting with a B2

Thankyou so much!!
Is the 25% SJT thing new for this year? If not, what scores are given for different bands?
Reply 84
Original post by GuessName
Is the 25% SJT thing new for this year? If not, what scores are given for different bands?

It is all on their website
Reply 85
Hi

I score 7.658 according to their calc - assuming a 7th Decile 2.33 score for my 2690 UCAT, and inc contextual (school and Polar)
I will call them to confirm my calc, tmrw

Is this score a risk or worth a go - any idea?

id be keen as a got a STJ band 1 that i understand my help me in the interview aspect - if i get that far.

Thoughts??
Reply 86
Original post by Rob8123
Hi

I score 7.658 according to their calc - assuming a 7th Decile 2.33 score for my 2690 UCAT, and inc contextual (school and Polar)
I will call them to confirm my calc, tmrw

Is this score a risk or worth a go - any idea?

id be keen as a got a STJ band 1 that i understand my help me in the interview aspect - if i get that far.

Thoughts??

7.658 should be fine, and yes the band 1 would be very advantageous
Original post by GANFYD
It is all on their website

Ah ok thanks I must have missed that section. Found it now.
Reply 88
Original post by e-m-m
yes, thanks!

Can i sanity check how you got your score @e-m-m ?
i got my calc to be 7.655, based on
22 in gcse = 4.125
Ucat 2690 = 2.33
Context school based on State school and Quintile 4 = 1.2

PS
I think im following you around the forum a little as i also got v similar results - 2690 and STJ 1. Local Comp and Polar Quintile 4 for me.
Also looking QUB, Cardiff (im from Wales), Plymouth + 1 more...TBC
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 89
im really sorry but i have read this thread and trawled the Aston site all to no avail - can someone point me to the scoring calc please - i cant understand it?!
How is the GCSE 24 points determined / qualified for which subjects?
And how is UCAT scored? i assume a certain point for each decile??

Thanks!
Rob
Reply 90
Original post by Rob8123
Can i sanity check how you got your score @e-m-m ?
i got my calc to be 7.655, based on
22 in gcse = 4.125
Ucat 2690 = 2.33
Context school based on State school and Quintile 4 = 1.2

PS
I think im following you around the forum a little as i also got v similar results - 2690 and STJ 1. Local Comp and Polar Quintile 4 for me.
Also looking QUB, Cardiff (im from Wales), Plymouth + 1 more...TBC

Hi, yes very similar. There is a downloadable spreadsheet on the Birmingham site which you can fill out and it calculates your score.
Do you think that having a band 2 won't be too much of a disadvantage at the interview stage as the interim results have shown that only 16% have achieved band 2 so far in the ucat interim results?
Reply 92
Original post by lucytuffnell
Do you think that having a band 2 won't be too much of a disadvantage at the interview stage as the interim results have shown that only 16% have achieved band 2 so far in the ucat interim results?

They are projecting 37,000 will sit the UCAT. Even 16% of that is about 6000 people with a B1. Not that all of them will apply or get to interview at Birmingham, of course :smile:
I got 6.833 as my Birmingham calculator score ucat 2710 no contextual so what are my chances?
Reply 94
Original post by Yash12345
I got 6.833 as my Birmingham calculator score ucat 2710 no contextual so what are my chances?

Quite risky so would avoid
Original post by A_J_B
Also as a side note, I would be wary of what the offer calculator says- it has been notoriously unreliable in the past often telling people who score below the cutoff that they are likely to be shortlisted

Hi on the University website it mentioned that there is no UCAT cut-off score. So could you get a call for an interview with high GCSES and a relatively ok UCAT score
Than you.
Reply 96
Original post by Holamysel
Hi on the University website it mentioned that there is no UCAT cut-off score. So could you get a call for an interview with high GCSES and a relatively ok UCAT score
Than you.

You need to calculate your points out of 10 using their scoring system. A safe score would be 7.4ish+/10
Original post by A_J_B
You need to calculate your points out of 10 using their scoring system. A safe score would be 7.4ish+/10

Thank you soo much!

i found a document with the threshold score https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/documents/college-mds/medical-school/application-statistics-medicine.pdf
I was wondering if you could get an interview offer if you have a high score for the calculated point score but don't meet the threshold??
Thanks in advance
Hi everyone my stats are the following:
Achieved A levels: 3A*s in Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics.

-UCAT: Total score 2780 (VR:590, DM:700, QR:740, AR:750) SJT Band 3.

-GCSEs: Double Science: 9-9
Mathematics: 8
English Language: 6
History:8
English Literature: 5
Arabic: 9
BTEC Sport (Level 2): Distinction
NCFE Food and Cookery (Level 2): Pass

Would B3 put me in a disadvantage during the interview? Should I not consider Birmingham?
Hi , I have 2840 band 1 and 999999887 with 9s in English lit and language and maths and 7 in computer science . I have A*A*A achieved grades in bio chem maths. Am I likely for Birmingham interview? Thanks so so much

Quick Reply