The Student Room Group

Queen's University Belfast A100 2022 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

Ive got 39/42 points (34 from GCSEs & 5 from UCAT). I think this is a safe choice for me. However, the 6-7 hour distance puts me off. Thanks
Hi,

It says they give points on the best 9 gcses, does this mean they can be any gcse? and so doesn't have to include chem, physics etc?
Original post by limitlesspuffy
Hi,

It says they give points on the best 9 gcses, does this mean they can be any gcse? and so doesn't have to include chem, physics etc?

yep.
Hey guys, do you think applying with a score of 35 is too risky?
Original post by stevo000
yep.

thanks, how do you know this? can't seem to find this info anywhere.
Original post by limitlesspuffy
thanks, how do you know this? can't seem to find this info anywhere.

https://www.qub.ac.uk/directorates/MRCI/admissions/FileStore/Filetoupload,1170542,en.pdf

School leavers Completing A-Levels for the First Time in 2022
When decisions are being made both GCSE and UCAT performance (see 3.3
above) will be taken into account. GCSEs will be scored using a points system
as shown below. The total points score will be based on results in the best 9
subjects, at first attempt unless the GCSE was taken a year early and then
repeated at the normal stage. Only GCSEs taken in Years 11 and 12 will be
counted (Years 10 and 11 in England and Wales).
Original post by Funnyjam3728
Hi,

Ive got 39/42 points (34 from GCSEs & 5 from UCAT). I think this is a safe choice for me. However, the 6-7 hour distance puts me off. Thanks

omg same, I score 36 which is pretty safe but the distance is 8+ hours!!!!!!!! Aaaaaaah!!!!!!!
What’s the cutoff this year?
Original post by medprincess
omg same, I score 36 which is pretty safe but the distance is 8+ hours!!!!!!!! Aaaaaaah!!!!!!!

Annoying, right ? If only it wasn't so far I would have applied...
Original post by peepeedd
What’s the cutoff this year?

They aren’t usually published until the end of the application cycle :smile:
Reply 50
Annoying, right ? If only it wasn't so far I would have applied...

Here are the flights into Belfast City, with cheapest prices, this month
https://www.skyscanner.net/transport/flights/uk/belf/?adults=1&adultsv2=1&cabinclass=economy&children=0&childrenv2=&destinationentityid=27538744&inboundaltsenabled=false&infants=0&outboundaltsenabled=false&preferdirects=true&preferflexible=false&ref=home&rtn=1

So can do a big trip at start and end of year and flights back between times. If you live nowhere near any of those aairports, it is going to take you 8 hours to get to most places! Belfast is a great city and the course is excellent, so do not rule it out on location alone
Original post by GANFYD
Here are the flights into Belfast City, with cheapest prices, this month
https://www.skyscanner.net/transport/flights/uk/belf/?adults=1&adultsv2=1&cabinclass=economy&children=0&childrenv2=&destinationentityid=27538744&inboundaltsenabled=false&infants=0&outboundaltsenabled=false&preferdirects=true&preferflexible=false&ref=home&rtn=1

So can do a big trip at start and end of year and flights back between times. If you live nowhere near any of those aairports, it is going to take you 8 hours to get to most places! Belfast is a great city and the course is excellent, so do not rule it out on location alone

Thanks so much for that !! Does Belfast have any other advantages (e.g. cheaper accommodation etc.)? :smile:
Reply 52
Thanks so much for that !! Does Belfast have any other advantages (e.g. cheaper accommodation etc.)? :smile:

Full of the Irish - that is a big advantage!
Original post by GANFYD
Full of the Irish - that is a big advantage!

Hahahah, good point.
hey guys,
i’ve worked out i have 40 points overall (999988887 and 2860 b2) but i’m really unsure if that would be safe or not?? not sure how much cutoffs went up last year etc even after having a look at last year’s thread

also I have A*AA predictions but A* completed epq so would my offer for sure only be AAA? just a bit confused really grateful if anyone could clear up if it’d be likely i’d get an interview/offer etc :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by emilywakefield
hey guys,
i’ve worked out i have 40 points overall (999988887 and 2860 b2) but i’m really unsure if that would be safe or not?? not sure how much cutoffs went up last year etc even after having a look at last year’s thread

also I have A*AA predictions but A* completed epq so would my offer for sure only be AAA? just a bit confused really grateful if anyone could clear up if it’d be likely i’d get an interview/offer etc :smile:

Cut off last year was 32, so up 2 points on the year before. QUB are going to be affected by the CAGs GCSE grade inflation, but if 40 isn't safe, we are all doomed!
Original post by GANFYD
Cut off last year was 32, so up 2 points on the year before. QUB are going to be affected by the CAGs GCSE grade inflation, but if 40 isn't safe, we are all doomed!

hahhaha okay 32 last year isn’t bad!! I think I made a mistake with what 8 = (not 4 but 3) so my score would be 36 but surely that would still be okay from 32 ?? hoping
Reply 57
Original post by emilywakefield
hahhaha okay 32 last year isn’t bad!! I think I made a mistake with what 8 = (not 4 but 3) so my score would be 36 but surely that would still be okay from 32 ?? hoping

Yes, it should hopefully be. There were a lot more 8s and 9s around with CAGs, but it is unlikely to max everyone's GCSE scores out!
Reply 58
Applying to QUB with score of 38. Hoping that’s safe. Does anyone know much about QUB as it’s so hard making a decision from a website! Looks nice …but hard to tell!
Do the best 9 GCSEs need to contain English or sciences? On their website, there is no info on that. @GANFYD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending