The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You are free to put as much devotion as you wish into your religion, whatever that religion might be.
Reply 2
Original post by black tea
You are free to put as much devotion as you wish into your religion, whatever that religion might be.

The thing is, it feels like I have to be one or the other - it also complicates things when people ask "are you Christian" or "are you Muslim" and I'm kind of scared of how it would look if I bumped into someone I know at say a church or a mosque
Original post by Anonymous
The thing is, it feels like I have to be one or the other - it also complicates things when people ask "are you Christian" or "are you Muslim" and I'm kind of scared of how it would look if I bumped into someone I know at say a church or a mosque

Well yes, you probably do have to choose one.
Reply 4
Well yes, you probably do have to choose one.

Yeah that sounds about right ):.
Do you happen to know any denominations that pray similarly to muslims though?
Yeah that sounds about right ):.
Do you happen to know any denominations that pray similarly to muslims though?

Similarly in what way?
Reply 6
Similarly in what way?

In terms of positions when praying (I already know some denoms like orthodoxy have multiple "set" prayer times)
I'm gonna preface this and say this is quite controversial.
I grew up Muslim and I love Islam with all my heart, but rather than seeing Isa as a prophet, I believe in Jesus as the son of God. The main reason I don't want to convert to Christianity is because it doesn't (to me) have the same amount of devotion, like our salahs, Ramadan , Hajj etc but I don't know what to do. Help?

There are lots of very strong Christian groups, and you still might find having to do less extreme things like praying multiple times a day at set times, and starving yourself sometimes to be freeing.
In terms of positions when praying (I already know some denoms like orthodoxy have multiple "set" prayer times)

No
Reply 9
There are lots of very strong Christian groups, and you still might find having to do less extreme things like praying multiple times a day at set times, and starving yourself sometimes to be freeing.

But the devotion and set prayer times is what I love most about Islam as it gives me a stronger connection to God~
Basically, my question is, can I be both (do you know anyone who is both) or will I ultimately have to choose?
But the devotion and set prayer times is what I love most about Islam as it gives me a stronger connection to God~

There is nothing stopping a Christian from praying multiple times a day if they choose to.
Basically, my question is, can I be both (do you know anyone who is both) or will I ultimately have to choose?

No, you can't be both

Does it though? It means you have to schedule your whole life around praying. And fasting is bad for your health. You can still pray when you wake up, eat, and go to bed or some other time, but you wouldn’t have to pray when it’s inconvenient like in the middle of the day.

Also, just if the reason you want to stay in Islam is for a routine/structure then is that really the right reason? If you don’t believe in it but do in Christianity then you’ll always be left feeling a bit empty/fake and in both religions that can be seen also as worshiping a fake idol, which is a sin.
And fasting is bad for your health.

It isn't for most people.
I am a Christian (in the sense that I actually believe in God, go to church etc etc). I read an autbiography called "Defying Jihad" where a girl grew up in an extreme Islamic environment and became a Chrisitian later. Your question is can you be both?. Well there are millions and million of organised groups that proclaim to be Christian. Some are more devoted than others, some stick to their own ideals than the bible itself. I do not belong to any denomination, I just believe the bible as it is. I have devotions morning and night, pray every day celebrate Easter and Christmas properly. It depends on the individual if they want to put in as much time in prayer as they want. Some Christians hardly pray, some pray like twice or even thrice a day based on what they believe. It is quite difficult to answer that question because 'Christianity' is very very broad. I have no idea if i have answered your question

You will have to choose, I'm afraid! :console:

There is nothing stopping a Christian from praying multiple times a day if they choose to.

:ditto: My grandparents (who were Roman Catholic) used to do a long set prayer bead thing called the rosary at least twice a day everyday, without fail :eek3: That was probably amidst other prayers they did throughout the day (my last grandparent died when I was 5, so I only have 2 memories of them :colondollar: ) :yep:

OP: depending on which denomination of Christianity you end up choosing, you can follow the monastic Office by praying at regular times throughout the day (you don't need to do the whole Office, as a lay (non-priest/nun/religious sister/monk) person. I was advised to do the morning and evening bits of the Office).

If you like ritualistic prayer, you may wish to look at the Orthodox, Roman Catholic, and (high) Church of England practices :fyi:
I'm gonna preface this and say this is quite controversial.
I grew up Muslim and I love Islam with all my heart, but rather than seeing Isa as a prophet, I believe in Jesus as the son of God. The main reason I don't want to convert to Christianity is because it doesn't (to me) have the same amount of devotion, like our salahs, Ramadan , Hajj etc but I don't know what to do. Help?

This is interesting since this is kind of the opposite for me. Can I ask why you took this position (That you believe Jesus is the son of God). And can you clarify, do you also take the belief that Jesus being the son would also be God?
Reply 18
you won't find a sect of Christianity that has as many rules and rituals as for those who follow Islam, no; but i agree that Roman Catholicism probs has the most traditions and maybe look into that if that interests you :yep:

most sects of Christianity tho don't have strict guidelines on how to worship as they believe worship is a personal matter and many sects of Christianity would say when you start adding rules and rituals you are worshipping your religion - not worshiping the one who gave you salvation through grace; like, there's nothing you can do to impress God in Christianity - you're saved by grace and grace alone (Acts 16:31, Ephesians 2:8-9) so if you try to do it it might be considered idolatry. you could tho make your own strict schedule of prayer; like many Christians insist on praying as soon as they wake up, prayer before bed, prayer before meals, prayer before they leave the house (my dad says a prayer every time he drives away from the house :h:), and if you can pray on your knees. it wouldn't be a matter or a sign of 'devotion' to God tho if you did so. does that help at all?

re fasting participating in a 40 day fast isn't uncommon across denominations (with different rules to Islam tho) but you can do that at any time of the year; there's no calendar fast.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Joleee
there's no calendar fast.

There is in Orthodox Christianity.

Latest

Trending

Trending