The Student Room Group

dislocated knee

I have just started university and managed to dislocated my knee on Friday the paramedics came and relocated it and ive been given a brace and crutches to help me along. However, in the next coming weeks I have to attend labs plus I'm living alone at university for the first time. Does anyone know approximately how long recovery time is from past experiences or have any advice ??? x
Original post by Clarissa23
I have just started university and managed to dislocated my knee on Friday the paramedics came and relocated it and ive been given a brace and crutches to help me along. However, in the next coming weeks I have to attend labs plus I'm living alone at university for the first time. Does anyone know approximately how long recovery time is from past experiences or have any advice ??? x

Hi
That's unfortunately accident for you but at least you got it sorted out by ambulance and I gather you went to A&E for confirmation of this,

You'll be ok to continue to go to university. Take it easy .
It takes minimum of 6 weeks to recover from this accident. .

I'm a NHS registered midwife and hope this help you and get well soon.

Recovering from a dislocated kneecap / knee.
Your knee may hurt at first and you'll probably need to take painkillers, such as paracetamol or ibuprofen. See a GP if this does not control the pain.

During the first few days, you can help reduce any swelling by keeping your leg elevated when sitting and holding an ice pack to your knee for 10 to 15 minutes every few hours.

A physiotherapist will teach you some exercises to do at home to strengthen the muscles that stabilise your kneecap and improve the movement of your knee. ( if required to attend as GP or hospital would advise you on it ).

The splint should only be kept on for comfort and should be removed to do these exercises as soon as you're able to move your leg.

It usually takes about 6 weeks to fully recover from a dislocated kneecap, although sometimes it can take a bit longer to return to sports or other strenuous activities.

Ask your GP, consultant or physiotherapist for advice about returning to your normal activities.

Quick Reply

Latest