The Student Room Group

Advice needed about my new phone

This situation has turned into a emotional rollercoaster when it shouldn't, and should be more simple and straightforward. So.. I've had my iPhone 8 for 3 years and the contract is soon to end this year, but I don't know when; the date or the month. However, I've been wanting a new phone for a really long time, so I decided to just go ahead with changing it. Today, I decided to upgrade early, I selected the type of iPhone I wanted and went along with the payment and confirmation details. I'm sticking with my current service provider. Although, one of the issues I have, is that I am unsure if my current phone number will still be active and be available to use in my new phone? It's expected to arrive next week, will I get a new SIM card with my current number or a different number? Well selecting online, it make things more complicated so I went with the "not switching right now" similar option. Another issue, is that I'm unsure if the current contract will still be running and my relative would still be paying, even though I won't be using this phone/contract anymore? I'll be paying for my new phone device but I don't know anything other than the date it's expected to arrive & I'll be paying it monthly. Unfortunately, I can't just walk into the store and ask for help, because the store for this service provider has been shut down all over the world due to the Pandemic.

My only bet, would be to ring the number for the company so I'll try that, but until then does anyone have any insight knowledge, help, or solution right now?
Reply 1
Okay the best thing to do is ring them, but normal you just change the sim from one phone to the other so the number should stay the same??
Reply 2
If all you bought was the device, you'll just pay for the phone and transfer the SIM card to it and keep the number.

If you haven't bought a new contract, you'll continue with the same minutes/data/texts.

Is there still money owing on the iPhone 8? If yes, the relative will still have to pay that off.

You should get emails or texts with links explaining all this, and confirming what you've bought.
Reply 3
Original post by Surnia
If all you bought was the device, you'll just pay for the phone and transfer the SIM card to it and keep the number.

If you haven't bought a new contract, you'll continue with the same minutes/data/texts.

Is there still money owing on the iPhone 8? If yes, the relative will still have to pay that off.

You should get emails or texts with links explaining all this, and confirming what you've bought.

So I'm paying for the phone and the airtime plan (minutes, data, texts) & I'm definitely for sure I bought a new contract.

The thing is I don't know if there is still money owing on the iPhone 8, and there seems to be no help or information on how I can check this.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
So I'm paying for the phone and the airtime plan (minutes, data, texts) & I'm definitely for sure I bought a new contract.

The thing is I don't know if there is still money owing on the iPhone 8, and there seems to be no help or information on how I can check this.

If you bought the phone SIM-free there is no new contract, if you bought it with a package of minutrs/texts/data there is. Haven't you had anything in writing about your purchase, like an email? Who did you buy it from?

The bill-payer for the iPhone 8 will be issued a regular bill, or will be able to access the account online, and see what's owed.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Surnia
If you bought the phone SIM-free there is no new contract, if you bought it with a package of minutrs/texts/data there is. Haven't you had anything in writing about your purchase, like an email? Who did you buy it from?

The bill-payer for the iPhone 8 will be issued a regular bill, or will be able to access the account online, and see what's owed.

I bought it with a package of minutes, texts and data. I don't have any info about this, because the account is registered in some one else's name, and I really want to change this but the relative who's paying, needs to speak to the company about it, and I'm sure she's not going todo it :/
Reply 6
I bought it with a package of minutes, texts and data. I don't have any info about this, because the account is registered in some one else's name, and I really want to change this but the relative who's paying, needs to speak to the company about it, and I'm sure she's not going todo it :/

If the account is in someone else's name, how come you've managed to get into it and buy something? You should be able to go into it again and see what's what.
Reply 7
Original post by Surnia
If the account is in someone else's name, how come you've managed to get into it and buy something? You should be able to go into it again and see what's what.

I logged into it and it says "I(my relative) has a handset loan with a remaining balance of £200+ to pay" and my contract/airtime plan for the 8plus is £10. It also says my next refresh is the 24th of next month.
Reply 8
I logged into it and it says "I(my relative) has a handset loan with a remaining balance of £200+ to pay" and my contract/airtime plan for the 8plus is £10. It also says my next refresh is the 24th of next month.

So there is still money owing on the old handset, and there may be a charge for changing contracts early. It could be in 2 bills time when it settles down after any extras.

Did you buy your new phone outright or are there monthly payments on that too?

What has been so difficult about this?
Reply 9
Original post by Surnia
So there is still money owing on the old handset, and there may be a charge for changing contracts early. It could be in 2 bills time when it settles down after any extras.

Did you buy your new phone outright or are there monthly payments on that too?

What has been so difficult about this?

That is annoying that they'd have to still pay extra for changing contracts early. Does this mean that the contract is expected to end next month, or will it still continue?

Also, I bought my new phone as a new contract, so it'll be a monthly payment.

why it's difficult? We'll because there isn't much information online about this, and if so it is written in ways that is hard for me to comprehend. My relative isn't really into online stuff and just wants it to be simple, and that's like me. Breaking this kind of info to them when I can't understand it myself, is pretty much pointless. As there's still balance on this iphone (8 plus), I feel that it's right that I just go ahead and cancel my new contract & return my new iPhone back to the network service. And just continue using my 8 Plus until it's time to upgrade, and I get the notification about it. I feel like I was just too excited and didn't really think about how it'll play out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending